4-6 year olds

P

progressivetactics

How many people have a 4-6year old karate program?
WHat do you teach in those classes?
Do you have a belt system, and what do they drop into after they complete this program (belt wise)?
How much is the program?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My kids program is for 5-12 year olds. We work basic self defense, the later belts work some throws, ground techniques. My 5 year knows the mount, the guard, how to do a cross body lock from the guard, and is getting down a go hip throw (more of a koshi guruma throw) on me. I am on my knees. But I still that is pretty good for him.
Bob:asian:

OP
L

lvwhitebir

My kid's program is also for 5-12 year olds. I teach most of the adult curriculum to the kids which includes the forms and sparring drills. I do some ground fighting with them, but it is only a few throws and a few ground control techniques (no locks).

We also spend 5-10 minutes playing a game that gives them a good cardio workout and works eye cordination and muscle strength (like hockey, frisby tag, sword fighting).

About 5 minutes is spent on discussion a topic such as goal-setting, etc.

WhiteBirch

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Ivwhitebir, could you pm or email me some ideas for discussion? I think that's a great idea and do it as well but usually stick to the same few topics over and over and need to broaden the topics.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

andurilking2

i have a program for 3-8 year olds with their own belt ranking system all the way up to grey (they dont keep the belt after leaving the childrens program they start back at white and i try to have unusual belt colors like pink, grey(being the highest) lime colored etc) i teach the basic techniques just alot slower. like i usually start with one block and one kick the first 2 weeks usually the first kick being a front thrust kick and the block being a middle range arm block. over the next 3 weeks they learn an upper block and a standard jab (i usually have to teach them to make a proper fist also) and we review and go over the previous block and kick and begin to learn striking areas. (like the ball and heel of foot, the palm and knuckles of the hand etc) then we continue on learning all the most basic tech. i usually make them stay between 2-3 years before they begin actual class. because also as a prerequisite for receiving a green belt i make all students take an anatomy class at the school free of charge. 3-4 year olds usually have to prove themselves mature enough for the class and understand that i am not baby sitting so ultimately i end up turning down alot of the youngest students. or i put them in a class taught by one of my green belts.

OP
A

andurilking2

i also have one 4 year old who is a yellow belt in the normal class and assistant instructs the junior class. he started when he was two and managed to last he wins most all of the youth sparring tournaments and can perform all of the youth techniques flawlessly so i decided to promote him, he is very dedicated and comes 6 nights a week even when he cant get a ride he will ride his bike or call me or one of the other instructors i am more then happy to pick him up i have very high hopes for him and have gotten very close to him and his familly (i just hope that other students where as dedicated) but i can put him up against most of my yellow belts and even some green and i am considering taking him on as a private student.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tought 4 year olds at a 6 week classes for st clair shores youth program. I got payed 10 dollars a class 6 classes total so got 55 after taxes. But I HATED EVERY CLASS. Ok all they wanted to do was play games and get drinks. Then There parents would bug me (How he doing) While they where watching me yelling at there kid not to hit the other kid.

I feel that any age under 12 sould not take up martial arts cause they need to be a little grown up. Come on I seen verlro belts now if your in martial arts u should know how to tie your belt

but just saying what i am thinking

OP
A

andurilking2

i take whatever i find useful from whatever is out there.

OP
W

wongfeihung

Our youth Karate program starts at 7 years old. We've found that the concentration needed to get through a 1 hour class just isn't there for most kids 6 and younger.

However, there is a need for classes for the 6 and under crowd. Our school certainly gets a lot of requests for that age group. I've seen many schools go with a shorter class format, like 30 minutes. For those with experience teaching the uber-young, please keep the suggestions coming!

Travis
www.jrroy.com

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My regular kids (5-12) class is 45 minutes long. Little kids 3-5 year olds went about 30 minutes. Classes are usually smaller to manage the kids better. Also need 1 instructor per every 4-6 kids. To hard to keep them corraled. Regular kids I have done class by my self with up to 15 kids at once. Don't like to do that. I like 8-10 kids per instructor.
Bob :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When teaching kids, I found it necessary to occassionaly just give them an energy break. Most kids are batteries/capacitors looking for a way to discharge some form of energy. I would occasionaly stop and heve them all do laps around the club work out area, runing forward or backward or sideways.

It does take a special type of person to really have the patience to instruct the really young. I have a friend in another art, that I usually send most of the kids I know to him. He has a knack for it. :D

I do it, yet I like to have smaller classes, as mentioned above.

I also respect those that do it very well.
:asian:

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Hey Ivwhitebir, could you pm or email me some ideas for discussion? I think that's a great idea and do it as well but usually stick to the same few topics over and over and need to broaden the topics.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

I'll get some together as soon as I can. I belong to NAPMA and one of the things you get every month are some talking points around a famous quote. I spend a week on each quote, trying to cover various aspects of it. What I'm trying to do now is go over the topics and consolidate them into specific themes. I think if I have 6 or so themes that I can rotate the topics for a year or more without repeating.

WhiteBirch

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
My kids program is also from 6 to 12. I teach about 1/3 of the belt value to the kids. Subtle techniques are of little use ot most of them. They have 3 belts, yellow, orange and green. One focuses on basic taihenjutsu like falling and rolling, then kicks and punches for the next belt and the final belt is some basic grappeling and escapes. At 12 they can re-evaluate to the adult class. Cost is $50 for 10 classes. But I let them try out 3 or 4 before expecting that.

OP
P

progressivetactics

cool, thanks for the input.

Gets the wheels turning, ya know.

thanks again.

OP
S

Shuri-te

There are a number of ways kids classes differ. In an adult class, MA are fun, but they are work. In kids class, you have to have a heavy emphasis on play.

First, you need lots of short duration activities. Let's face it, kids that young don't tend to have the attention span.

Some contests are good. Match them up by weight and give each the end of a belt, and see who can get the other to lift a leg off the floor. Same thing with a staff. Sumo is really good. Who can push whom out of a circle.

Buy some spongy balls and have them toss them at each other and see if they can dodge them, hit them or kick them. Or buy some nerf guns, have a child close their eyes and someone with the nerf gun lines up somewhere behind, about 5 feet away. You count to open the eyes, and then the person shoots the nerf, and the student has to turn, dodge, hit or kick. If it overwhelms the student, you can always have the shooter count to one or two before shooting.

In some adult classes, techniques will be practiced and everyone freezes during corrections. This is a sure way to lose kids' attention. Better to keep the count going when you are making corrections. Even with kids, you can always have one lead the count. In fact, I would encourage you to try hard to get the kids to lead whenever possible. Once they know how to count, they should rotate through the counting on all techniques where you count. And you can rotate them up in front of the room to count. They really like this.

And if you are not yet a parent, and haven't worked with kids, you should know that they really benefit from lots of positive feedback. The old school tough guy stuff doesn't work. Give them a ton of praise. This is as important with movements as with words. One thing I love to watch is kids learning sweeps. It is always fun to watch some 40 lb. tyke take down some 200 lb. blackbelt with a light tap to the calf. Or if you are holding a shield that they are kicking, you can make it look like the kick is knocking you back more than it is.

If your system is strictly standup, you probably want to include some judo-like grappling activities. Simple, gentle throws are all that are needed. And don't forget escapes from grabs. (Ones with both hands are effective.) Parents love to see their kids learning those. Not only is it good self-defense, but it can't be misused on the playground.

Here's one last thing. My apologies if it seems a little calculating. Kids will be most influenced by the last thing that happened in class. If they had a bad day, but had a great last 10 minutes, they are likely to tell that to their parents when they get picked up. So if you want to keep the retention rate up, try to schedule your activities so there is always one good fun one right at the end.