30 Karate Blackbelts In MMA

Stuart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

A video covering a brief history of Karate in MMA and 30 of the most notable Blackbelts in Karate in MMA today.

Any Karate guys on here?

I did Wado Ryu Karate for two years although I was training quite casually only an average of one hour a week. I thought I saw some impressive skills from the instructor.

When I first got into MMA I started to think maybe Karate wasn’t that effective because you hardly seemed to see any Karate guys. Muay Thai seemed much more effective.

Machida was really the turning point for me. I had seen stances as deep as his Shotokan stance in TMA’s but I didn’t think they were that effective until I saw him having success with it in the Octagon.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is the point or your post? It should be no surprise that there are numerous MMA guys with Karate, and several other MA's backgrounds. Some obviously have had more success than others. Just the nature of the beast.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A video covering a brief history of Karate in MMA and 30 of the most notable Blackbelts in Karate in MMA today.

Any Karate guys on here?

I did Wado Ryu Karate for two years although I was training quite casually only an average of one hour a week. I thought I saw some impressive skills from the instructor.

When I first got into MMA I started to think maybe Karate wasn’t that effective because you hardly seemed to see any Karate guys. Muay Thai seemed much more effective.

Machida was really the turning point for me. I had seen stances as deep as his Shotokan stance in TMA’s but I didn’t think they were that effective until I saw him having success with it in the Octagon.
yes but it stops looking like karate,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steve “Wonderboy” Thompson’s fighting looks like karate to me. So does Lyoto Machida’s.
i stand corrected, i dont know either of them, im a infrequent watcher of mma, and ive never seen anything resembling karate , thats clearly doesn't mean it doest exist, just not very common

OP
S

Stuart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes but it stops looking like karate,

Karate is quite a loose term but some of those guys like Kikuno and Machida look to me like they are doing Karate.

What do you think of as Karate?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Karate is quite a loose term but some of those guys like Kikuno and Machida look to me like they are doing Karate.

What do you think of as Karate?
something which has body mechanics resembling the body mechanics tough in karate really, ive done enough karate to recognise karate, when i see it, just as i can tell a boxer or a wrestler . if it change considerably you can possibly say its based on karate, has some resemblance to karate, but isnt really karate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Any Karate guys on here?

Yes, I’m a Karate guy.

The thing about MMA though it’s not like UFC One where it was billed and created as style vs style...and I recommend to anyone who loves the arts, especially MMA, to read the book “Is This Legal” by Art Davey on the birth of UFC, it’s a delightful read - MMA today, everyone is trained in all aspects of MMA. Everyone. Your base art might give you particular movements and attitude, but your MMA training is far more important.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i stand corrected, i dont know either of them, im a infrequent watcher of mma, and ive never seen anything resembling karate , thats clearly doesn't mean it doest exist, just not very common
Here’s some Wonderboy Thompson for your viewing pleasure.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
if you go digging... karate was a mixture of different extant arts. Some were rooted firmly in CMA like fukian white crane and pan gai noon, but there was a large amount of stuff that originated in Mui Boran from Siam.

Okinawa was a melting pot, due to its primary source of wealth being the largest trade fleet in Asia in its day.

In fact the made it as far west as the bay of Bengal and ports in Eastern India.

Karate was MMA before the term existed.

col-1.jpg

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you go digging... karate was a mixture of different extant arts. Some were rooted firmly in CMA like fukian white crane and pan gai noon, but there was a large amount of stuff that originated in Mui Boran from Siam.

Okinawa was a melting pot, due to its primary source of wealth being the largest trade fleet in Asia in its day.

In fact the made it as far west as the bay of Bengal and ports in Eastern India.

Karate was MMA before the term existed.

View attachment 22574
That could not have been said better!

Latest Discussions