24 technique vs 16 Technique Parker Kenpo

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my instructor doesn't teach all the techniques. We learn 100 of them, rather than all 150 or so...

25 techniques for Orange (we don't have a yellow belt)
25 techniques for Purple
25 techniques for Blue
25 techniques for Green

Brown belt is mainly a teaching belt to reinforce what we've learned so far, the philosophy being that you don't truly understand something until you can teach it to someone else. It is a time where your knowledge really starts to mature and you're really required to understand the "why" of things rather than just the "how". We try to emphasize quality of techniques over quantity. The rest of the 50 techniques are either picked up as a brown belt from participating in the black and brown belt level class, or they're learned after black belt. We do learn the whole system, we're just not required to do it before black belt.

I am finding that not having any additional required techniques to learn at brown belt is very, very helpful to me. (although I have picked up some of the ones that I have to know after black) It gives me the opportunity to take another look at the techniques I learned several years ago through teaching them to other students. It makes me really analyze in my mind how and why these work.

I know a lot of people think that you should teach the entire system before black, and what my teacher does isn't my decision, but my reasoning is that if you take enough time to teach the how and the why of kenpo, fifty techniques won't make a huge difference, considering that techniques are only ideas from which to draw on, and in the street, you never have the perfect technique situation. you have to improvise, and if you know how and why kenpo works, you are capable of improvising, and that ability may save your life.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well lets see, I like women so that makes me a lesbian, but I don't care for the cold so I'm not an eskimo.

So the answer is no, just a lesbian (no offense to any is ment).

:asian:

OP
R

Ronin

I shall tone myself down master...........(bowing retreating out of the room)

OP
T

tunetigress

Oh yeah, GD? And just what would YOU do with them anyways??? ROFLMAO!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
T

tunetigress

Jeesh GD! Why on earth would you wanna ask my advice on the handling of Lesbians anyways?? I have absolutely NO experience in that department! I am not hiding in 'that' kind of Clawset, in case you didn't know! LMAO!! :rolleyes:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tunetigress!

I think about women all the time, tall, short, thick, thin, blonde, brunette, redhead, black hair, white, yellow, red and all colors and tones in-between.... I guess that makes me a non-clawset lesbian!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dan

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In our dojo Sensei Seig has instituted the 24 techniques. He's broken them down to our belt system.
10 yellow techniques are our Red and black stripe Techs.(we don't have a yellow belt in our system)
12 for Orange belt
12 Orange Stripe
12 Green Belt
12 Green Stripe
12 Purple
12 Purple Stripe
so on and so on.. by the time we get to Brown it works out to 24 each Brown level to Black.

There's alot of information to learn and retain. We have technique night 2x week and a day of reviewing. Another day is sparring and a day of either Jiu-jitsu or Sensei's choice.

I find as an instructor this method of teaching is easier for me then the previous - learn a few techniques per night.. go onto others.. and well I would forget them without knowing a name or repetively doing it.

Our students know what is expected of them for their test, the smart ones bring a notebook to class and sit down afterwards writing them down and work on them at home after learning them in class.
It's working well for us :)

In the Martial Arts Spirit

Tess

OP
M

meni

in our school ...

10 for yello
15 for evrey belt abouve (9)
and you need to knwo the forms and statnce for each belt
in additon the system is bilt now on three catgarios
beggnier 40 tec
intermedatd 45
adavnced 45
and so on and so forth
one need to know 15 tec. in order to advence
each week there is only one new tec.
so biscally you need 15 week plus practic time as the minmumm of a test!

meni

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I do go by that name sometimes........

"The Executioner" I won't go into why.:hammer:

For $1.85 in small denomination, unmarked bills, I, too, will keep the secret! :boing1:

Dan

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

(actually I forgot why):rofl:

Okay Tess!!! I give! You've beat it out of me ... pant... pant...gulp!... Gasp!

It was because of ... because of ... because ....
be ......... AAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Thump and a rollover unconscious... :eek:

Dan Fa....:angel: