20 most over rated movies of all time, discuss

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Matrix was one of the worst films I have ever een but people flocked to the screen to watch it. Go figure......

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Matrix was one of the worst films I have ever een but people flocked to the screen to watch it. Go figure......
Sometimes the visuals overtake he story - or lack there of. I mean, seriously, it has seeped into pop culture...

(and no, just because the people like it, it's not a statement about quality)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That guy lost me when he said Minority Report was a great film. LOL.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a rabid movie fan myself (own over 600+ dvd's) and I don't try to make myself out as a know-it-all critic simply because I've seen a lot of films. Has this guy ever done ANYTHING in the film industry? Studied with directors, screen writers, editors, et al. to understand why academy chooses films for their awards over others? Prolly not just watch movie after movie like I did and writes his own ideas about what is good and what is bad.

I've seen a lot of good and I've seen my share of bad. I'm very careful about what I see and I choose a film based on my familiarity with either the director, actors, and sometimes producers. I'll see a film (on screen or DVD) if someone I know (who has good tastes) recommends it.

This guy's list... I dunno. I can only comment on those I have seen that made his list...

Blade Runner is a very good Sci-Fi film, may be not guns blazing high-speed chases kind of action sci-fi but a noir detective story based in the not too distant future. Detective movies are not famed for high adrenaline action, case in point Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, 39 Steps... and others.

Matrix trilogy... the first had a good sci-fi story/plot line but it wore thin with the sequels as they chose effects over plot.

Shakespeare In Love: while I also cannot understand why it was chosen over Pvt. Ryan I was charmed by this film and didn't take it too seriously as it was a period rom-com.

Giant: True not an totally awesome film but definitely a great one with a good story line to it. That it's too long would only garner complaints from those with the attention span of an 5th grader.

American Graffiti: Nothing happens he says. Anyone who has lived in small town Americana can attest that the film is spot on then. People make whatever happens however trivial, happen. Just a bunch of kids/young adults trying to get through another weekend without going crazy. Some are on the verge of becoming adults and are trying to deal with that as well. Not to mention the music... oh the music.

Annie Hall... yeah this one made me yawn. Allen has written only a couple that I've truly enjoyed ... the screwball comedies that he made... Bananas, Sleeper to name a few.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see this one on the his list (it might still be in the top ten), but Avatar is soooo overrated in my opinion. It's basically Dances with Wolves on an alien planet and Dances with Wolves was overrated in my opinion as well. After watching Avatar I couldn't understand all the hype other than the visual effects.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is he doesn't really define "overrated" vs. "popular". Sometimes a movie can be very popular, but isn't rated very highly as a movie.

I've never seen "Giant" being listed as an all-time great before other than to James Dean fans. Matrix was a very popular movie, but I haven't really seen critics talk about it as an all-time classic either.

In fact, only 3 of his movies are on the Top 100 from the American Film Institute. Annie Hall is #35, American Grafitti is #62 and Blade Runner is #97. None of the other films are on the list (and yes, they were all out when the list was done in 2007).
http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0760906.html

The list was based on several factors that are listed in the link.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's just a Negative Nelly....

Don't like people who make a living out of trashing what other people do (and that includes Joan Rivers, who cares what people wore...)

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a movie fan, a film geek and even movies I hate there's always something to admire. There have been many movies with crap stories that I sit and marvel at the director's skill, or the editor, or cinematographer, or even a good actor.

Besides, sometimes a bad movie is just what you need. Like a good Saturday night Sci-Fi channel movie.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
'Great' movies that I didn't understand myself:

• Last Tango in Paris
  • Eat, Pray, Love
  • Clerks (yes, I know this is heresy to many)
  • Fight Club (yup, another sacred cow)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's just a Negative Nelly....

Don't like people who make a living out of trashing what other people do (and that includes Joan Rivers, who cares what people wore...)
Yeah but he makes money out of it... where can I get that job? Love to just sit in a theater and watch the latest and then tell people what I think AND get PAID to do it. Sigh...

Seems that some folks respect the opinions of others... i.e. Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin... but these guys have some background in the film industry I think.

I don't give much a crap about what others wore either... I've seen one dress get an A+ one day and then couple days later it's on the "what were they thinking?" list.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eat, Pray Love was awsome, especially when Julia Roberts took out the machete and attacked the drug dealers and then jumped her car over that bus. Pure movie magic.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but he makes money out of it... where can I get that job? Love to just sit in a theater and watch the latest and then tell people what I think AND get PAID to do it. Sigh...

Seems that some folks respect the opinions of others... i.e. Roger Ebert and Leonard Maltin... but these guys have some background in the film industry I think.

I don't give much a crap about what others wore either... I've seen one dress get an A+ one day and then couple days later it's on the "what were they thinking?" list.

I know what you mean, the same dress in a different pose...sigh.

Ebert has some credibility, I am assuming his sidekick has, too.

But you know what they say about critics...it certainly does not take much skill to be one.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Problem with this is he speaks as though he knows what he's talking about.

Real movie reviewers talk about plotting, use of film as media, acting performances, social statements, special effects.....etc.

This guy's list is based on "I liked it," "I didn't like it," or "my education level is so low I didn't understand."

Bear in mind this is coming from a guy who prefers Conan the Barbarian to Ordinary People.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Critics thought it was great for reasons unexplained, but you're the first individual I've known to say that. I'd really like to know what about it that you find awesome.
I don't know if I can explain it, but I just couldn't pull away. I was also a big fan of the Razor's Edge; so, maybe I am just a Bill Murray fan, but I guess now that I am older, and when I meet some young twenty something, it makes me think of Lost In Translation. Thats about the long and short of it.
Sean

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy is 27 - what does he know about anything yet?

He's in that hinterland between the teen years where you think you know everything and the post-40's where you start to realise just how little you really do know.

Plus, he has a show named after him - that pretty much tells a story of it's own.

Mind you this line buys him some leeway: "Remember, unless I say that I think they&#8217;re terrible, they&#8217;re overrated, not terrible (that point got me into trouble last time with my overrated directors list when people overlooked the distinction)." All he needed to emphasise was the overrated in his view for the article to become far less contorversial.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Possibly "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" has to get an honourable (or dishonourable) mention. It is one of my wife's favourites but would have to rate in the bottom 1% of films ever produced IMHO.

I feel that to rate it in the bottom 1% is in itself over rating it and this is an example of a film that deserves a negative rating. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes

Mmm. Probably most here may be too young! :asian:

(Sorry, couldn't comment on the original 20 'coz I haven't seen many of then or even heard of them for that matter.)

Latest Discussions