1st Debate, Who Won?

Who won the 1st 2008 Debate?

• McCain

• Obama

• Neither - Was a tie

• Neither - I watched one of the 3rd party rebuttles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well actually if you read it one was a CNN poll and another was a CBS poll. Granted, personally I think you need to have about several more polls to have a round about idea of what people actually feel. However, these were the only polls that were available that I saw.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting side note: about 24 hours after the first Presidential debate we have 24 replies on that outcome, about 24 hours after the initial post on the "Sarah Palin for President" thread we had 45, and she's not running for that office. Hmm?

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
They knew exactly what quetions would be asked weeks in advance so that they could prepare theirwell rehersed replies.
The bailout hasn't been around for weeks, exclusive of Freddie and Fannie ...

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree.
These are career members of Congress, privy to much that we mere mortals aren't allowed to know (like what's going on in those closed door sessions of congress?).
They know the state of our economy better then we do. They have experts who focus on all that stuff we get in a summary box.
So, they should be equiped to offer better responses.

Now, as to who won.
Of the 2 that were on the main broadcast, I see a tie. Both made some good points, some gaffs, and alot of 'same ol stuff'. Neither shot themself in the foot.
Of the 2 I lean more towards McCain though. Obama's comments show him more focuses on spending as much as possible, focusing more on outside (the Georgian economy over ours for example), and trying to eek out a couple extra bucks for the poor at the expense of our so called rich and the business owner. McCain struck me as liking the idea of opening as many fronts as possible (remember, only a fool fights on multiple fronts.), but he understands that businesses create jobs and wealth, not the government, and that our current business climate does nothing to keep business and jobs here.

Make it better for business to operate and grow, they will, and they will create more jobs in America for Americans.

I've yet to see or read comments from Nader or McKiney. I watched Bob Barr, and found his comments towards the 2 to be on the mark most of the time. They also showed why neither wanted to risk him being there. IMO.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm saying that these "Debates" are well planned infomercials, with both sides knowing what questions will be asked in advance.

The host said plainly that no one but him knew the questions. I believe him.

Of course they know the general subject and can surely guess what the questions will be. All of these questions were well-known subjects. But since they don't answer the questions anyway, what doe sit matter?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't. Believe him that is.
But, good point.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of "Debate" they should call it "Dodge & Dig" .... because that's all they did...dodge questions with an occasional dig against the other candidate.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll had registered voters preferring Obama, 49 to 44 percent.

The USA TODAY/Gallup debate poll picked Obama over McCain 46 to 34 percent. When asked which candidate offered the best proposals to solve the country's problems, respondents favored Obama 52 to 35 percent. 46 percent thought he looked "more presidential" than McCain, who scored 33%.

Overall Obama extended his Gallup lead over McCain from five points to eight.

Rasmussen had Obama with a six point lead, 50% to 44%.

CNN's poll had Obama winning 51% to 38%. The women they tracked had Obama 59% to 31%. McCain had a slight advantage in perceptions of performance with national security, getting 49% to Obama's 44% Which would handle the economy better gave Obama the lead with 58% to 37%.

CBS's poll of voters not yet committed to a candidate found that Obama won it 39-24%, with 37% calling it a tie.

Media Curves had Obama winning with independents in the following areas:

Financial Recovery Plan - Obama 60.76%, McCain 39.24%
Economic Plans - Obama 55.95%, McCain 44.05%
Government Spending - Obama 53.39%, McCain 46.61 %
Lessons Learned from Iraq - Obama 59.52%, McCain 40.48%
More Troops to Afghanistan - Obama 56.86, McCain 43.14%
Threat of Iran - Obama 61.82%, McCain 38.18%
U.S. Relationship w/Russia - Obama 66.67%, McCain 33.33%
Likelihood of another 9/11 - Obama 56.82%, McCain 43.18%

Who won, according to the poll? - Obama 61.11%, McCain 38.89%

The closest poll I've found is Insider Advantage, which had Obama winning 42%-41%, with the rest claiming it too close to call.

The next debate is this coming Tuesday, October 7.

Regards,

Steve