Majority of Americans want Barr and Nader included in debates.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zogby Poll: Majority Want Libertarian Bob Barr Included in Presidential Debates

Majority of Independents - 59% - also favor inclusion of Ralph Nader in debates this fall

UTICA, New York - More than half of likely voters nationwide - 55% - want Republican-turned-Libertarian Bob Barr to participate in presidential debates this fall, while nearly half - 46% - said they think Ralph Nader should be allowed into the on-stage fray, the latest Zogby Interactive polling shows.
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1538

Of course, the "rules" won't allow this.

Neither Barr nor Nader are currently qualified to participate, according to rules set out by the Commission on Presidential Debates, a private non-profit corporation that has organized debates in the last several presidential election cycles. The CPD requires that to be included in their debates, candidates must appear on enough state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority of Electoral College votes, and must be winning at least 15% support in national public opinion polls before the debates.

In this latest Zogby Interactive poll, Bob Barr won 6% support and Nader 2% nationally. Neither candidate has cracked the double-digit barrier in any national polling so far this cycle. This polling showed Obama with a 43% to 40% lead over McCain.

Of course, Perot only had 6-8% national when he was included. They've since raised the number to further limit the chances of anyone bringing up real issues again.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
14% is also high enough that it is pretty unlikely a 3rd party candidate will hit that number without being included in debate.

We just had a similar thing up here with ours, the Green Party was going to be excluded, despite having 1 MP in the party (who was independent, but joined the Greens) In the end the people won and she gets to participate with the other 4 party leaders :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of makes it hard for the citizens to get different views if non big 2 party candidates are not allowed to debate

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would the elite establishment want you to have choices that they do not provide to you? That's counter to their agenda.

Perhaps Joe Schmoe is finally catching on. Now, what do we do about it?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get enough people to stop listening to that "wasted vote" theory on voting for anyone other then the 2 big parties?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well.

I think campaign law has to change to mandate equal coverage of ALL candidates for president; so if your neighbor Joe Blow can only afford to run one commercial at 2am three nights a week, then the Barack Obamas of the world should only be able to run the same kind of ad near the same time with the same frequency.

I think ALL candidates should be given two opportunities to give time-restricted speeches broadcast for all to see and two opportunities to debate.

I think ALL candidates should have a place on the ballot right up to the election with the popular vote given the win.

I think the supervoter status should be abolished.

I also think all Americans should write the networks about their disgust with smear campaigns and false advertising, and turn their broadcast reception units (radios, TVs) off in protest or refuse to buy anything advertised around a smear campaign ad.

Perhaps Brangelina would proffer some funding towards mending things here at home too?

Sounds like a good Eagle Scout or Gold Award project. ;)

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
With the list of jokers we've got THIS time round? The ONLY way to waste your vote is to vote.

Andy, if you don't vote then no matter WHO gets in you have no right to complain. Those who show up make the rules. (anybody has to be better than that Bush)
Lori

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then it is NOT a wasted vote, you are taking a stand against the Big 2.
Lori

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get enough people to stop listening to that "wasted vote" theory on voting for anyone other then the 2 big parties?

I do my part every chance I get! What a load of hog-wash perpetuated by the the "Big 2"....that should tell you it's a load of poo right there.

Well.

I think campaign law has to change to mandate equal coverage of ALL candidates for president; so if your neighbor Joe Blow can only afford to run one commercial at 2am three nights a week, then the Barack Obamas of the world should only be able to run the same kind of ad near the same time with the same frequency.

Problem is it's the "Big 2" making the laws! How likely do you think it is that Obama and McCain will be left off the Texas ballot because they missed the deadline? How likely do you think it would be for Barr or Nader to be left off if they missed the same deadline?

More people need to wake up and participate or nothing will "change".

I think ALL candidates should be given two opportunities to give time-restricted speeches broadcast for all to see and two opportunities to debate.

...free of charge...that would be fair though wouldn't it. Nice thought though.

I think ALL candidates should have a place on the ballot right up to the election with the popular vote given the win.

Now that would be down-right American wouldn't it!? LOL ..not to mention "democratic." I don't see the Electoral College going away though, not unless they're carted off by raging-torch-carrying-mobs.

I think the supervoter status should be abolished.

Preach on sista'!

I also think all Americans should write the networks about their disgust with smear campaigns and false advertising, and turn their broadcast reception units (radios, TVs) off in protest or refuse to buy anything advertised around a smear campaign ad.

Whoa...Don't blame them completely for what the candidates are doing. You are right in that it's the public that has the power to change that, and it will be by letting candidates know we're tired of it. Problem is, the fact that you see so many just shows that they actually work! People buy into that crap just like they prefer "Springer" over "20/20".

Perhaps Brangelina would proffer some funding towards mending things here at home too?

Sounds like a good Eagle Scout or Gold Award project. ;)

lol

With the list of jokers we've got THIS time round? The ONLY way to waste your vote is to vote.

I understand completely...but at least go in a write the name of who you do support in on the ballot.

Then it is NOT a wasted vote, you are taking a stand against the Big 2.
Lori

Yup.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. Vote for who you want regardless of what you think their chances of winning are. Thats 10000% better than not voting at all.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
celtic crippler wrote:
Why would the elite establishment want you to have choices that they do not provide to you? That's counter to their agenda.

Perhaps Joe Schmoe is finally catching on. Now, what do we do about it?"

Simple crippler, you get involved. It is my opinion (and it will not be popular on this thread LOL or on this forum), but getting involved with third party politics is a waste of your time and energy and not good for you or your family or your country. A far more effective method is to pick which of the two parties’ most match your beliefs and views and then join it. Get off the internet and join your community at the root level. A single person can change the world but even if that is not you, you can make a difference in your own life and the lives of your neighbors but getting involved with third parties will not. Join the Democratic Party or join the Republican Party and then start to make changes to that party from the inside, one person can start to change a parties agenda. This method has demonstratively worked in the past and we are seeing it work again during this election period. Third party politics can not make those changes that those who follow third party seek; they have not in the past and will not in the future.

Regards
Brian King

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Third parties have developed and overtaken the 'establisshed'. If they hadn't, we'd all be arguing over the Whigs, Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans.

But it's a valid point. Get involved. If not with a 3rd, with a main and push for change.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
celtic crippler wrote:

Simple crippler, you get involved. It is my opinion (and it will not be popular on this thread LOL or on this forum), but getting involved with third party politics is a waste of your time and energy and not good for you or your family or your country. A far more effective method is to pick which of the two parties’ most match your beliefs and views and then join it. Get off the internet and join your community at the root level. A single person can change the world but even if that is not you, you can make a difference in your own life and the lives of your neighbors but getting involved with third parties will not. Join the Democratic Party or join the Republican Party and then start to make changes to that party from the inside, one person can start to change a parties agenda. This method has demonstratively worked in the past and we are seeing it work again during this election period. Third party politics can not make those changes that those who follow third party seek; they have not in the past and will not in the future.

Regards
Brian King

Though you don't have an actual pic of yourself up as your avatar, I don't need to see one to know you've got some serious kool-aid stains around your mouth.

Just FYI: I am involved in both the community and in politics, though not with the Dem's or the GOP. They don't share my values and I personally don't feel like whoring myself out because someone is trying to convince me to just "give up" and accept the status quo. No thanks...I'm no sheep nor am I a lemming.

I refuse to give up on the values this country was established on. I refuse to "sell-out." I refuse to give up one more liberty or freedom without doing everything I can to keep them.

A real waste of time is continueing to do nothing but swallow party rhetoric. It's ludicrous that both parties are using the word "Change" but neither would actually "change" anything. It would just be more of the same...as evidenced over the last several decades.

You want "change?" Then truely vote for it and stop wasting your time making assumptions about somebody you don't know and whether or not they're "involved" or not.

Third parties have developed and overtaken the 'establisshed'. If they hadn't, we'd all be arguing over the Whigs, Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans.

'Nuff said.

Latest Discussions