Campaign Debates 2004

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well ... These are the results I saw from most of the sources I reviewed. I am in agreement with these results.

1st Presidential Debate - Kerry Wins
Vice Presidential Debate - Edwards Wins
2nd Presidential Debate - Kerry Wins
3rd Presidential Debate - Kerry Wins

Now, we did see some 'official, scientific polls' that showed the second and third Presidential debates were a draw when considering the 'margin of error' (which has always been an odd, unclear term). But of those polls, the majority surveyed were Republicans.

Do you see these results as Correct?
Which, if any, of these results would you contradict?
What argument would you make to defend that contradiction?

Mike

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we'll see what's "correct" on November 2nd and not before. Polls are conducted by humans, and there's always the human factor to skew things.

Otherwise, I would agree with the assessment you posted, although I have to give Mr. Cheney some serious positive points for his demeanor and good humor as well as support for his child.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Kerry won the first, Cheney won the second, and the next two are too close to call without bias; so I'd call them ties, even though I think Bush accomplished more because of the most improved player idea. He sucked in the first one, but got better. Kerry was a consistently good debater. I'm going by what I saw, not what some polls said. We could argue that one party had more viewers than the other during each of the debates, but that's nothing more than a home field advantage. The real winner of the debates will be determined Nov 2, as kenpo tiger pointed out. I think they did help Kerry more, though, because Bush took a pretty strong lead into the debates following the convention, and now it's neck-and-neck. So, who won the debates and who accomplished more after the debates are two different things as well.

Latest Discussions