Status
Not open for further replies.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we all wish you the best of luck making a smooth transition.

Please keep us informed once in a while how things are going

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A long time ago, Miles commented to me
The souvenir coin is pretty unique.
Yeah, in the martial arts world, anyway.

The idea actually comes from a custom practiced amongst some military servicepersons. Whereas the veterans of some units go out and get matching tattoos, others have been known to commemorate their bond by commissioning "challenge coins" (typically cast of bronze or pewter) showing their unit designation.

Each member carries his or her coin (usually roughly silver-dollar sized and engraved with the owner's name) throughout civilian life. Whenever two or more of them get back together, someone "challenges" by pulling out their coin. Then it's a race amongst the others to follow suit. . .with the loser having to buy the drinks.

While I know the tradition exists in military culture, I have no clue whether it is actually common there. In mil surplus & memorabilia catalogs, I have seen rather generic service-branch-identified challenge coins for sale, but I don't know if that means that the concept is widespread or just that some manufacturer wants it to be.

What I do know is that our association adopted the custom a great many years ago and gives a challenge coin to everyone who enters our blackbelt ranks. I guess the coin in the pocket serves as a more regular personal reminder than the certificate alone (which is probably often either tucked away in a binder or lying in a dresser drawer waiting indefinitely for the owner to prepare a place for it on the wall ["No really! One day I'm actually gonna get around to building a display case for all of these trophies and certificates."]) and is a lot more enduring than a wallet card. In our association, the challenge is nominally considered to be for coffee rather than "drinks".

Are you by any chance part of the American Chung Do Kwan org under Master Henkel?
Yes, ACDKL.

Dan (tying up loose threads and unanswered mail)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A long time ago, Miles commented to me Yeah, in the martial arts world, anyway.

The idea actually comes from a custom practiced amongst some military servicepersons. Whereas the veterans of some units go out and get matching tattoos, others have been known to commemorate their bond by commissioning "challenge coins" (typically cast of bronze or pewter) showing their unit designation.

Each member carries his or her coin (usually roughly silver-dollar sized and engraved with the owner's name) throughout civilian life. Whenever two or more of them get back together, someone "challenges" by pulling out their coin. Then it's a race amongst the others to follow suit. . .with the loser having to buy the drinks.

That is pretty damned cool right there :D

GabeMunoz

White Belt
Reaction score
ENOUGH !!!!!

Let me clarify a couple of things here.

First of all when we were made aware of these postings “RCHURCH” assured us he would have them deleted or would at least post a retraction. We left it in his hands and were surprised to find them still here. So much for his assurances.

Secondly, it is NOBODY’S business how and what Grandmaster Myong Hui charges for her classes, assistance and counseling. (By the way it is “Grandmaster” not GM, a little respect please). As usual there is a lot of misinformation in these posts which have led to slanderous or unflattering conclusions. The infamous $11,000 fee was not only for the belt test but it included helping out one her student establish a new school. In fact if you figure out Grandmaster Myong Hui taught 2-3 classes for 5 nights a week for nearly two years I would say that is WAY TOO CHEAP! That works out to about $10 buck a class. Ooooh she must be up to something! Yes Grandmaster was up to HELPING her student out as she always has.

Lastly, Grandmaster Myong Hui has dedicated her life to teaching the martial arts. She has studied martial arts since she was a child and she is a certified 8th Dan black belt by the Kukiwon Federation. Grandmaster has always shied away from any publicity, recognition or acknowledgement in fact she has always deflected accomplishments and recognition toward her students. We have no intention of replying further to these posts but felt compelled to clarify past postings or for that matter future posting at this site. I can see how mis-quotes can turn quickly into just plain out and out gossip. I am requesting for you to PLEASE not post a reply to this and just let this posting die!

Thank You
Gabe Munoz

P.S.
By the way Grandmaster Myong Hui is my wife and as usual she did not want me to reply to these posts so I have done so without her approval, but when I did a goggle search and this popped up, I had to do something.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So... the posting has been dormant since 2008 and you felt it necessary to bring something back up that you didnt want brought up in the first place?!!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Notice.

As this was flagged to my attention I will address it.

MartialTalk has not been in the habit of deleting inconvenient posts due to poster's changing their mind. In fact, we rarely delete any content other than blatant spam. We welcome opposing views to rebut in a professional manner anything they deem necessary, within the limits of our posted rules. While I do not recall receiving any requests concerning this topic, the response for a deletion would have been "No.".

Topic Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions