Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
according to tez it is not a proper kick though. An awkward maegeri jodan. Becomes a fully functional abracadabra kick.

you may not like it but this is what mmaers do. And it works for us.
I didn't say that. It's still a front kick and it's not fully functional it's slightly awkward. It's more effective as a proper front kick without the messing at the beginning. It's not what 'MMAers' do it's what that one person did and in my opinion he's wrong, so no it doesn't work for us.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say that. It's still a front kick and it's not fully functional it's slightly awkward. It's more effective as a proper front kick without the messing at the beginning. It's not what 'MMAers' do it's what that one person did and in my opinion he's wrong, so no it doesn't work for us.

i am sorry i said mmaers do it. I found a ufc fighter who does it. You are welcome not to. Train however you like. But saying that you represent mma to a point where a ufc fighter is not allowed to be an example of mma.

is just a bit arrogant.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They arenot standing infront they are off center and backing away with their body turned perpendicular to the person throwing the kick

lol there is no such thing as a vertical roundhouse kick. Im not defending anything. Im calling you at best misinformed at worst a lair about your experience. Anyone that claims MMA fighters just make it up as they go along well im going for option 2

SO im still waiting for this vertical roundhouse
i notice i have to prove things when you can appeal to authority. That is a double standard for evidence.

ok so i have found a mmaer who does make things up as he goes along. It is something we do. You have to live with that. Lets either re define the term or live with how i described it.

the kick has now been shown to work against resisting opponents against targets on the ground and to the groin. The only thing i haven't shown is that kick working against the inner leg.

so enough. You have taken your projections of what you do. To style bash what i do and insult me.

and you were wrong in your ignorance.

you would need to defend the effectiveness of your groin kick based on its own merits. And you haven't been able to do that. Instead making false accusations about me.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
but why kin geri when the roundhouse works beautifully?
If someone is standing right in front of you with their legs open then why would you want to do a roundhouse kick which would require you to move to a position where you are side on when you can just kick straight there with a front kick?

Don't you think that a direct upward strike to the dangly bits be more effective than hitting them from the side?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am sorry i said mmaers do it. I found a ufc fighter who does it. You are welcome not to. Train however you like. But saying that you represent mma to a point where a ufc fighter is not allowed to be an example of mma.

is just a bit arrogant.

What on earth are you talking about? You said a few times now, using bad grammar "us mmaers" meaning you think you represent all of us who do MMA. You told us an MMA fighter had made his own kick up and given it a 'magic' name. I pointed out it wasn't a made up kick at all but a front kick. So now you are upset. Well I can't help that.

It's been pointed out that this whole thread has gone past the point of hanging on and is well and truly snapped. It certainly has, I expected to wake up this morning to find the funeral service being read over it. Perhaps its epitaph should read ' a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.
Rest in peace dear 'would this work' thread.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i notice i have to prove things when you can appeal to authority. That is a double standard for evidence.

ok so i have found a mmaer who does make things up as he goes along. It is something we do. You have to live with that. Lets either re define the term or live with how i described it.

the kick has now been shown to work against resisting opponents against targets on the ground and to the groin. The only thing i haven't shown is that kick working against the inner leg.

so enough. You have taken your projections of what you do. To style bash what i do and insult me.

and you were wrong in your ignorance.

you would need to defend the effectiveness of your groin kick based on its own merits. And you haven't been able to do that. Instead making false accusations about me.
I didn't style bash you. You have no style. You claim your allowed to make up things like vertical roundhouse kicks as you go along. That's not a style that's fantasy land. I also didn't insult you I wish I could but it's not allowed here. There are lots of things I'd like to say to you but I'll get banned. I'm convinced now however after the mmaer make things up as we go that you don't train in anything so your opinion holds zero value to me in this forum. So have fun with your made up martial art and good day

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't style bash you. You have no style. You claim your allowed to make up things like vertical roundhouse kicks as you go along. That's not a style that's fantasy land. I also didn't insult you I wish I could but it's not allowed here. There are lots of things I'd like to say to you but I'll get banned. I'm convinced now however after the mmaer make things up as we go that you don't train in anything so your opinion holds zero value to me in this forum. So have fun with your made up martial art and good day

um......

you do know mma is a made up martial art. Don't you?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's not. MMA gets it's "legitimacy" from those lovely belts and purses you guys fight over…

A little more seriously, there are many forms of "legitimacy" that can be applied to various martial arts, in a range of contexts. Competition is one form, and really, that's all it is. Just one form. I'd also point out that training against what you are referring to as "resistance" is far from unique to MMA, and is hardly the litmus test for any form of "legitimacy", when all's said and done.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's not. MMA gets it's "legitimacy" from those lovely belts and purses you guys fight over…

A little more seriously, there are many forms of "legitimacy" that can be applied to various martial arts, in a range of contexts. Competition is one form, and really, that's all it is. Just one form. I'd also point out that training against what you are referring to as "resistance" is far from unique to MMA, and is hardly the litmus test for any form of "legitimacy", when all's said and done.

i have done a thread on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not 'made up' at all. It is exactly what it says it is mixed martial arts, the emphasis on the plural. It's a very simple idea of using different arts together in a competition. This means none of the techniques are new or made up but borrowed from various styles according to the preferences of the fighters. It's not a new concept by any means.
Does it have 'legitimacy'? Well I'm not sure anyone actually cares, those of us in it are busy training, coaching or whatever we do, people enjoy the fight nights whatever the level of fights so I'm not sure if anyone is bothered other than 'wannabes' really.
There is nothing new about MMA, there's only so many ways to kick and punch and even to grapple, people may adapt or tweak techniques to suit theirsize, shape weight etc but these techniques are as old as the hills. What is new is the way fights are promoted and publicised, they are 'sold' better than martial arts have been before. It's now a multi million dollar 'industry'.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes the mma made up one.

Okay… yeah, that entire thread is deeply flawed… MMA isn't "made up" (the way something like Sinanju is), it's an art in a constant state of development, through the crucible of competition. But I gotta say, nothing in that thread (well, your OP) is anything to do with "legitimacy"… hence my asking which thread…

have you much experience with Sinanju?

You're kidding, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you talk to fighters it is far less about testing the 'art' and much more about testing themselves in the medium of MMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions