Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sigh, it is the accepted name for an accepted technique, we don't all call it different things. Everything had to be named at one point be it thousands or hundreds of years ago, a few years ago or last week but we stick with one name we don't all call it different things.

if we are coming up with a new concept then it is pretty likely we will all call it different things untill it goes into common language.
our gym has names for drills that are us specific. Because we had to call it something.

you defining that kick as a miss. Was making up a name for it. Because as a concept it is new.

for me i don't care what you call that kick. I showed it can be done. And it works.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's really quite simple, Hanzou and I might not agree on some things but we do know what each other is talking about. If he says get them in your guard then use rubber/butterfly guard I can agree or disagree because I know exactly what he means, if I say no, go for mount he knows what I mean, likewise with side control, figure four arm bar, RNC, scarf holds. posture up etc. Accepted names for each technique. Karate people can discuss kicks with TKD people because when I say side kick for example they know exactly what I mean even if they may execute it slightly differently. without this any discussion is pretty pointless because we are talking at odds with each other.
There is no different 'context' when talking about kicks in MMA, the kicks are the same, roundhouse, front, side, axe, hook, back etc They may be done a bit differently by each fighter depending on where they learnt it from but they are definitive kicks with definitive names.

john jones heel kick to the leg. Got called an oblique kick. But the technique came first not the name.

that kick only exists as a miss. But it works and so should be defined as something.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA doesn't do it all the time. WE use terminology that is correct for the techniques, we may use the English translations of either Japanese, Korean, Thai or Portuguese but we don't make them up. Some techniques have more than one name but we still don't make them up. What would be the point of making names up?

K-man, pass the popcorn please, hope you have enough for all of us at this rate!

the abracadabra kick.

definitely not a made up name?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john jones heel kick to the leg. Got called an oblique kick. But the technique came first not the name.

that kick only exists as a miss. But it works and so should be defined as something.

That was a Ushiro Mawashigeri Gedan

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You didnt show anything. Please show a vertical roundhouse

lol. This is what you originally asked for.

"How do you roundhouse someone in the groin standing in front of them?"

which we have seen can be done. Now you can dance around terminology all you want. But the kick works. It will work if you call it a vertical round house. Or an inner leg to the groin. Saying i came up with a silly name to describe is a pretty lame defence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
not a miss it hit right where he was aiming with a front kick. He fakes a roundhouse to the leg and hit a front kick to the chest

according to tez it is not a proper kick though. An awkward maegeri jodan. Becomes a fully functional abracadabra kick.

you may not like it but this is what mmaers do. And it works for us.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol. This is what you originally asked for.

"How do you roundhouse someone in the groin standing in front of them?"
They arenot standing infront they are off center and backing away with their body turned perpendicular to the person throwing the kick
which we have seen can be done. Now you can dance around terminology all you want. But the kick works. It will work if you call it a vertical round house. Or an inner leg to the groin. Saying i came up with a silly name to describe is a pretty lame defence.
lol there is no such thing as a vertical roundhouse kick. Im not defending anything. Im calling you at best misinformed at worst a lair about your experience. Anyone that claims MMA fighters just make it up as they go along well im going for option 2

SO im still waiting for this vertical roundhouse

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how did we get from the OP to discussing if a kick has a made up name or what kick it is. Start a diferent thread or go back to discussing the OP

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
according to tez it is not a proper kick though. An awkward maegeri jodan. Becomes a fully functional abracadabra kick.

you may not like it but this is what mmaers do. And it works for us.
Thats not what Tez said at all. It does start off awkwardly but the kick is a front kick or Mae Geri

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's Japanese for 'vertical' because I want to put it with Mawashigeri.
I already have Ushiro Mawashigeri, Ushiro Kingeri, Maegeri, Soto Mawashigeri, Fumikomi, Otoshigeri among others and I really want to add a vertical Mawashigeri. I don't do Yokogeri very well these days, very powerful kick if you can do it though.
'Tate' ... as in tate tsuki, so perhaps tate mawashi geri. The Japanese will be spitting in their awamori!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of a thread which could have a sensible discussion being hijacked by people with no knowledge pretending they know everything. God help me, vertical roundhouse kicks, you only need one kick, don't react to simulated strikes. Do you guys really train at all?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We cannot discuss any SD techniques or what will work if we don't understand what people mean because they make up names for techniques. I can't comment in whether 'xyz' will work if I don't know what it is. I can tell you whether a roundhouse kick can work as long as it is describing the roundhouse kick as martial artists know it though.
A slightly awkward front kick is still a front kick, a clumsy or poorly executed front kick is still a front kick, it always will be.
'Us' MMAers don't change techniques and rename them, we adapt them certainly to allow us to use them to suit us but the technique is still the same. To allow me to get more leverage on a figure four arm bar I move a different way to the guys I train with but the technique remains the same technique. You cannot say well I went to do one kick but missed so I'm going to call the missed kick by a new name and say it works for something else.
How can we discuss anything on that basis? We'll drive ourselves mad going in circles trying to understand which techniques are which.

Status
Not open for further replies.