Winning - Important or Irrelevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Main Issue is that Angel, as ive gathered Champ-Pain is called; Is Argueing a Point. Chris Parker is Debating that Point with a Valid Counterpoint, in answer to statements by Angel.

Im not going to say any more than that, but this is a Classic Case of Two People Discussing something, but with different Pretexts. And therefore coming across as Critical to one anothers Views to the other.
I mean, feel free to go back to... Page 10, I think? When Angel begun the Discussion regarding Training to Kill. Which was carried on, which was carried on.
But I am going to say ONE thing.
In fact, feel free to disregard all but the following:

"He's not listening to me and won't give an inch..."
And what do You think Hes thinking at this point?

Chris: I'm sorry to tell you that I won't be replying to your posts any longer. I don't want to make you upset with my answers - nor do I want to be upset by yours. I don't want to argue, fuss and fight anymore. I'm actually trying to come clean with all those whom I may have offended in the past, but you just won't give me such opportunity... God knows I've tried, publicly and via PM, as well, with NO results what-so-ever, I'm sad to say. I wish you all the best - good luck.

Angel, it's very simple. You haven't offended me, but you have frustrated me. You need to be able to see another point of view, which is very lacking in your approach to these forums. I pointed out that practical use of the skills was not the point, and you continued to refer to using them. That is not listening to the other side of the discussion. I know exactly what you were saying, I knew that winning was very important to you, but you have been unwilling to listen to why it's not important to myself, instead clinging to ideas that had no place, despite being repeatedly informed of that fact. It's very hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn't hear anything you're saying, so try to listen more in future, okay?

I think the Main Issue is that Angel, as ive gathered Champ-Pain is called; Is Argueing a Point. Chris Parker is Debating that Point with a Valid Counterpoint, in answer to statements by Angel.

Im not going to say any more than that, but this is a Classic Case of Two People Discussing something, but with different Pretexts. And therefore coming across as Critical to one anothers Views to the other.
I mean, feel free to go back to... Page 10, I think? When Angel begun the Discussion regarding Training to Kill. Which was carried on, which was carried on.
But I am going to say ONE thing.
In fact, feel free to disregard all but the following:

"He's not listening to me and won't give an inch..."
And what do You think Hes thinking at this point?
It's obvious who you agree with... but I did not begin any such discussion about training to kill... in fact, I stated that I know nobody who does so, when that point first came up. As far as what I think he's thinking at this point - I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no clue. Do you?

I think this one has circled the drain for long enough, don't you gentlemen?

Jenna's point above is a well made one and is something to be taken on board.

Before things get more heated it is better to leave this to settle peacefully into the quiet of the pit into which all threads eventually fall (unless they are amongst the lucky few to be Stickied :D).

For after all, there is no point in a 'discussion', that does not eventually serve to enlighten or inform, if all it does achieve is unsettle the atmosphere of the fora.

Be reminded that the header for the site contains an exhortation to be friendly - so, as Bill and Ted so famously said, "Be Excellent to Each Other" and let discord fade.

It's obvious who you agree with... but I did not begin any such discussion about training to kill... in fact, I stated that I know nobody who does so, when that point first came up. As far as what I think he's thinking at this point - I don't have a crystal ball, so I have no clue. Do you?

Well, Yes.
But I dont allow who I agree with cloud my ciew of the overall discussion.

Im pretty sure He mentioned it, then You discussed it. That could be debated both ways;

I dont have a Crystal Ball - I can Deduce things however :)

Well, Yes.

Im pretty sure He mentioned it, then You discussed it. That could be debated both ways;

Crystal balls are a liability in sparring and fighting.

Well, Yes.

In terms of who began the conversation of training to kill, it could be said that Angel did, by asking the question in the first place (as to why winning would be irrelevant), as it was specifically in answer to that. The first reference, though, was actually Sukerkin, implicit on page 3, followed by myself, rather more explicitly as a way of explaining the mindset difference between sport arts and what I do, on page 7. Since then it was taken out of context, applied incorrectly, and misunderstood, so I sought to rectify that. Didn't work, but I feel that has more to do with the receiver than the message.

In terms of who began the conversation of training to kill, it could be said that Angel did, by asking the question in the first place (as to why winning would be irrelevant), as it was specifically in answer to that. The first reference, though, was actually Sukerkin, implicit on page 3, followed by myself, rather more explicitly as a way of explaining the mindset difference between sport arts and what I do, on page 7. Since then it was taken out of context, applied incorrectly, and misunderstood, so I sought to rectify that. Didn't work, but I feel that has more to do with the receiver than the message.

Duly Noted - See, I wouldnt have Re-Read that much to find out :)

Training with swords, spears and the lot is still vauable. Most people don't carry them today, some do. There's at least 1 idiot who ends up in the news each month who gets nailed swinging a machette, which is the most common swordlike object around nowadays. I highly doubt you'll try an oni-bongo double leg sweep roll over to a maki-roll armbar against some nut case swinging one of those. But, then again in a real NHB match anything is possible. :roflmao:

I don't find winning in tournaments important, what more important is having the courage to test your skills. I remember my first tournament as a black belt going against 2nd, 3rd, 4rth, 5th degree balck belts who have been training longer than me. I was the underdog. Despite not being place in the top 3, I earned respect from many people. The highest level is earning respect not winning. I competed in more tournaments and I have improved being in the top 3 consistantly. The key is not to think about winning and losing, I think about putting in the effort.

In sports, winning is a number ... a score derived from the opinions of judges ... judges who each have his/her own priorities in their fields. It is the luck of the draw - the slip of the jab - the millimeter needed to strike far enough. It is the luck of the match of honed skill.

Victory is, like good alcohol, easy to appreciate, soothing, warming ... and oh-so-very intoxicating. Often it is very unrealistic.

Good sportsmen - especially in this field - need to impart the ability to accept all, to keep humility in a jar rather than self-praise, and to drink of this tonic *often* - for it is by FAR the more practical lesson.

Celebrate your victories - but remember - they are very temporary and tend to incite the hunger of others.

In sports, winning is a number ... a score derived from the opinions of judges ... judges who each have his/her own priorities in their fields. It is the luck of the draw - the slip of the jab - the millimeter needed to strike far enough. It is the luck of the match of honed skill.

Victory is, like good alcohol, easy to appreciate, soothing, warming ... and oh-so-very intoxicating. Often it is very unrealistic.

Good sportsmen - especially in this field - need to impart the ability to accept all, to keep humility in a jar rather than self-praise, and to drink of this tonic *often* - for it is by FAR the more practical lesson.

Celebrate your victories - but remember - they are very temporary and tend to incite the hunger of others.
I don't agree with everything you've posted here - but you make some very good points and observations... and expressed yourself beautifully.

Training with swords, spears and the lot is still vauable.

So is training with firearms - the most lethal of the Martial Arts weapons we speak about, and easier to carry around, as well... but, to each his own.

Thats debatable - A Needle, if inserted directly into an Artery, is more than likely going to Kill.
A Bullet to the Head has been known on many occasions to be Unsuccessful.

So Yes.
To Each His Own.

Thats debatable - A Needle, if inserted directly into an Artery, is more than likely going to Kill.

While having zero interest in joining the food fight, I do feel obligated to step in and point out that this is just flat out wrong. Needles are stuck in arteries all the time. I generally do it at least 2-3 times per shift in the ER. Most commonly it's done to measure the dissolved gases in the blood, to evaluate respiration & perfusion. Often it's done to directly measure & provide real-time constant monitoring of blood pressure. And sometimes it's done because you really need blood for labs, and the veins are shot (i.e an IV drug abuser). While pulling them out without applying pressure afterwards will result in a mess, and a really ugly bruise, it is extremely unlikely to prove fatal. Except in Hollywood, of course.

There is NO debate here. Guns are far more lethal than even the biggest needle in our supply room.

Click-click-pow is absolutely the most lethal martial art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back