Ceremonies for promotion

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does any do or have you experienced and kind of initiations or traditional ceremonies involved with rank progression?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every art and every dojo has different traditions in regards to rank promotion. I've experienced several different types of promotion ceremonies.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here... everything from commercial McDojo-esque events to very private & formal Bai Si (not a promotion).

My last "promotion" came over a phone call with my teacher.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I am, youre just given your Belt, you shake hands with the Instructor, then Warm Up for Class.
I think that Works.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the very least, sensei has always offered some words of encouragement and then given the belt. At one dojo in which I've trained, the tests were very formal and the belts were given in a formal ceremony. Both ways are cool.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We generally get, months later when the cert comes in, Before class - oh yeah I have this in the locker for you, remind me to give it to you after. After class - Here congrats, shake hands, time for beer.

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
At my dojo it seems quite informal. We are graded and then people receiving a new grade gather around the instructor and he tells us if we passed/failed and gives us an evaluation of what we were good at, what needs some more work etc.

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In aiki ninjutsu you get your belt, everyone claps and thats about it, but in my aikido class we get struck on the back with the belt the number of times equal to the rank. 6th kyu=6 strikes, 5th kyu=5 strikes and so on. I thought this was a little wierd so I wanted to see if anyone else had any specific traditions that are unique to their school or art.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Promotions generally come at the end of class. They may involve testing first, but not always; sometimes testing was done during some other class, or sometimes Sensei decides to promote someone based on some other criteria.

We line up, kyu ranks on one side and dan ranks on the other with Sensei. Then we all kneel. Sensei calls the person to be promoted; they stand, walk behind the kyu ranks (if they are a kyu student) to the left side of the ranks, then bow and kneel in front of Sensei. Sensei says some nice things about the student being promoted, then tells him or her to remove their current belt. He presents them with their new belt and they put it on. Then the entire class, kyu and dan ranks alike, perform a formal za rei. The promoted student stands, walks backwards (so as to not turn his or her back on Sensei) back to the left side of the kyu ranks, bows, and takes their place again kneeling in the kyu ranks. Sensei may say a few more words about promotions or whatever is on his mind. Then we perform another za rei and we all go home.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my first karate class, we had 4 stripes on each belt (not officially tested) and they were generally distributed at the beginning or end of class in a semi-formal manner - called to the front and placed on your belt. Actual belt promotions came after the test. While sitting in seiza, someone puts your belt and certificate behind you, instructor talks a bit and then you take off your old belt, turn around and put on your new belt.

In TKD, we held go testing and the promotion was done at an event the following Wednesday night with a potluck dinner.

At my father in law's aikido testing, the board gave their congratulations, the senior talked with him about what he saw and then everybody bowed out. His instructor handed him his new belt in the changing area before we went for lunch and beers. Certificate is on the way (eventually) from Japan.

Different strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In aiki ninjutsu you get your belt, everyone claps and thats about it, but in my aikido class we get struck on the back with the belt the number of times equal to the rank. 6th kyu=6 strikes, 5th kyu=5 strikes and so on. I thought this was a little wierd so I wanted to see if anyone else had any specific traditions that are unique to their school or art.

Ah, I was wondering if someone was going to mention the belt whipping promotion. I consider this hazing and would have to consider some tough decisions. Belt whippings aren't very common and they usually increase as you go up in rank. This is the first time I've heard of it starting high and going down. I've seen belt whippings where new promotions run a gauntlet of everyone in class while they take free shots with the belt. Welts and cuts are not uncommon.

Could you describe a little more about what you experience?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, and when I was promoted to 5th dan and received my shihan title, it was after a practice - our instructor called me up, spoke a bit and took off his belt and gave it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Flogged?? I think not...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flogged?? I think not...

In the Marine Corps, there is (or was) a tradition of getting one's stripes 'pinned on' by passing through a gauntlet of one's fellow Marines of that rank or higher, each of whom would 'pin on' the new stripes by punching on the shoulder with great force. One typically ended up bruised for a couple days. It's been banned (so I hear), but it has always been seen as a unit cohesion tool, something that builds camaraderie and represents a welcoming to the team in a warrior-based culture; civilians are typically horrified, but they don't get it.

It's a 'macho' thing. I suspect it may have bled over a bit from the military to the civilian world. Probably should not have done so.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Marine Corps, there is (or was) a tradition of getting one's stripes 'pinned on' by passing through a gauntlet of one's fellow Marines of that rank or higher, each of whom would 'pin on' the new stripes by punching on the shoulder with great force. One typically ended up bruised for a couple days. It's been banned (so I hear), but it has always been seen as a unit cohesion tool, something that builds camaraderie and represents a welcoming to the team in a warrior-based culture; civilians are typically horrified, but they don't get it.

It's a 'macho' thing. I suspect it may have bled over a bit from the military to the civilian world. Probably should not have done so.

Nah I understand that & would go along with it were I in that position. A couple of friends of mine had their wings "pinned" on them after Jump school.

But as a hobby which MA's are today since we no longer are in a society where fighting literally was a day to day survival tool, things like that aren't really called for.

I can understand "taking a shot" as part of the test say to show iron body development & such. Believe me I got pounded when testing with Sam Chien. But not as a part of a promotion hazing. Hazing should've already been handled during the test, by the test. IMO, that's the rite of passage where testing is used.

But that's just me...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So long as it isn't malicious, I suppose that it is harmless. Rather odd, though given that Aikido is 'the art of peace.' At least they don't use a shinai!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does any do or have you experienced and kind of initiations or traditional ceremonies involved with rank progression?
As for answering the OP, my two private hkd students go through a formal test and then the following week, assuming that they pass, they are called up and congradulated and given a certificate and a belt. A picture is taken as both like to have the occasion immortalized on Facebook.

I have six kendo students, and the process is similar, except that I don't do do a full 'test.' I check the student's technique for a number of classes and then have them go through some specific techniques during class (takes about fifteen minutes and the whole class participates), and if they are at a level where they have bogu and are sparring, I have them go through a bout with each of the students and myself during the normal sparring time. This is more so that I can say that "I tested them" than anything else, as my primary criteria is what I see in class. Then they receive a certificate and a handshake. No flogging; we spend enough time giving and receiving strikes in class already.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I really haven't had a formal ceremony, but at least recieving my Black Belt two years ago was still memorable. I do remember friends on myspace that had special ceremonies when recieving the Black Belt or new degree rank with title, such as tea ceremony or at a Banquet of that sort.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
We do the "kick up" like a lot of kenpo schools (we are a shotokan/kenpo hybrid). A light kick in the stomache that gradually gets harder as one promotes higher. The kick is optional but I've never had a student opt out. Its much like the bolld rank that Bill wrote about.

Mark

P.S. Blood rank is banned in the Army as well. While I hate loosing any more of our traditions, I gotta say that since we shifted from pin on rank on the collar to velcro backed rank worn on the sternum I am good with not getting "blood rank". I bet one would have to punch pretty hard to get velcro to make ya bleed. :)

senseishane

White Belt
Reaction score
We have a formal procedure for promotion. Most times it is done after some type of testing, either a few days later or a immediately, but does not have to officially follow a "formal test". Promotion can occur at anytime. Life is a test and the "everyday work" that is put in by the student is just as important as making the grade on a formal test.
The ceremony itself involves paying respect and thanks to our Founder, our Grandmaster, the instructors, and everyone we've trained with. It acknowledges the fact that many people participated and helped to get us to the "next rank". A few kind words by the instructors present to the "promotee" and then the passing of the new belt to him/her.

I think it lets them feel a sense of accomplishment and kind of a "hallmark" that they have moved on to something new and different.

Just my .02

Latest Discussions