Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some how I missed posting on this thread.. .

I've been training in Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo for 30 years, I am a 6th dan.

We practice an older curriculum vs. the modern curriculum (we learn the Pyung Ahn forms rather than the taeguk forms).

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At the school my son and I attend, we learn the Taegeuk forms while we're color-belts, and then black-belts learn the Palgwae forms in addition to the regular Kukkiwon black-belt forms....so I've learned only P1-4 so far. They feel very different to me than Taegeuk forms.
  • The Taegeuk forms feel more "scientific" to me. It feels like there's a logical progression from one form the next, especially T1-6...it really feels like they keep building on each other nicely. Of course it's easier to recognize the 3 lines in each Taegeuk form, since the Palgwae forms (like some Kibon forms) put the 1st and 3rd lines on the same physical floor line. Also, I find it easier to associate each Taegeuk form with its element: fire, thunder, wind, etc. You can imagine doing the form expressively like its associated element.

• So far, the Palgwae forms feel more random to me. This happens, then this happens, then this happens...they just don't feel as logical. I'm not seeing the associated element in the design of the form yet. But I'm finding the Palgwae forms much easier to remember. Each one is so distinct, with its own funny little quirks and movements. It's like they have more character. They're quirky.
Upshot: the Taegeuk forms are Spock. The Palgwae forms are McCoy. :)

I do enjoy learning all these many forms, but as others have pointed out, part of me would rather learn fewer forms in more depth, rather than always learning new forms.

When I did taekwondo back in the early 80s in college, I'm assuming those were Pyung Ahn forms we were doing, but honestly that was so long ago, and there was so little emphasis on forms in that club, I don't know for sure. We mostly just drilled fundamentals, did one-steps, and did light-contact sparring back then -- no emphasis on forms. Now that I've returned to taekwondo decades later though, I've found all that drilling way back then still helps me today!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 36 years old and 1st dan. I started as a child in 1990, quit about two years later at blue belt/red tip, then started back as an adult in 2013.
We're WTF style, and we do palgwe forms. I don't see palgwe as often, at least not on this forum.

No no no. There is no such thing as WTF style. The WTF doesn't award rank, define a curriculum or anything of the sort. Look at your rank certificate. I'll bet it says Kukkiwon. Not WTF. If you have one that says it was issued by the WTF, I'd really like to see a scan posted.

We use the palgwae forms as our base, with those who want KKW (not WTF!!!) certification also being taught the taegeuk forms.
The KKW replaced the palgwae forms long ago, and no longer endorse them. Technically (though this is completely unenforced and essentially unenforceable) you should not be awarded a KKW Dan rank unless you know the taegeuk forms. Because they're no longer supported by a large international organization, you'll see variations from one school or system to another.
That might be worth a thread of it's own though, to discuss the differences between how various schools teach the palgwae forms.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, at my WTF-style school....

(I may only be 1st dan Kukkiwon, but I'm 9th dan Aneurysm-Fu!) :D

"That might be worth a thread of it's own though, to discuss the differences between how various schools teach the palgwae forms."

That would be interesting! Also, when I look at Original Koryo on YouTube I see interesting differences there as well. For example in the middle there's an Opening (Wedging) Block. Most videos show it as middle-height, but I know of at least one video that shows it as a Low Opening Block.

Middle:

Low:

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chodan-Bo under Taekwondo Jidokwan. Active training for 3.5 years. When I was a kid/teenager trained in Shotokan Karate for about 6 years.

Returned to training tonight after 18 month hiatus. Feeling it now but glad to be back!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a 32 year old 3rd Dan from Stevenage, Herts, UK. I train under Master Carl Lees (previously under Master Pan, Sim-Woon). My current aims are to lose weight (I stopped training for a while and piled it on), take my 4th Dan (aiming for next August) and then sit the Foreign Instructor Course at the Kukkiwon (summer 2008).

I've seen this thread pop up recently and noticed that there was one from me. Wow, it was weird to read that post I wrote on here almost 10 years ago...

How did I do... So-so I would say...

- Lose weight - not really managed, but trying again and having a good start to the year. If the 10 years have taught me anything, it's that I will always struggle with my weight but if I can success in other areas I can beat this.

- Get 4th Dan - I'm currently a 7th Dan, so I guess I hit that one nicely :)

- Attend Kukkiwon Foreign Instructor Course - well, I didn't make it in 2008 but I did successfully pass with a citation in 2013 and am going back this year to do it again (although I won't be able to make the exam/physical test at the end).

Unfortunately for our club and his family, Master Carl Lees died in a scuba diving accident in 2012. I took over the club, and I have to say the past few years have been very successful for the club.

In 2006 I was trying to find my original instructor (Grandmaster Pan, Sim-Woon) again, I succeeded in doing that and he's been a rock in my Taekwondo career since again. We even went to the same instructor course in 2013 in Korea and I was present for his promotion to Changmookwan 9th Dan.

So, I'm happy with the past 10 years, looking forward to the next one.

How has everyone else progressed since this thread was originally around? Have you hit the goals you wanted to, have moved in to other areas?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the 10 years have taught me anything, it's that I will always struggle with my weight but if I can success in other areas I can beat this...

I read once that if you do the same amount of exercise every day during your entire adult life, you'll still use 30% muscle-mass just due to age. And of course with the reduced muscle-mass comes decreased metabolic calorie burn, and increased weight. It's a struggle man!

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been at it for two years, Kukki TKD, just tested for 1st Geup but we have a Deputy black belt before 1st Dan at our school. If things keep going well I hope to be testing for 1st before the end of the year.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
................................. that post I wrote on here almost 10 years ago...

How did I do... So-so I would say...

- Get 4th Dan - I'm currently a 7th Dan, so I guess I hit that one nicely :)

How has everyone else progressed since this thread was originally around? Have you hit the goals you wanted to, have moved in to other areas?

Reached goal. Still alive and kicking. .

You did much better in the rank advancement department. I've advanced one Dan since 2006. (That was in 2009).

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Somehow I seem to have missed this thread.

I've been at it for over 30 years. Currently 6th Degree Black Belt, Master Instructor, in Songahm Taekwondo.

Sarah G

White Belt
Reaction score
4 years as a kid in ITF-style taekwondo, then a loooooong break, then 9 years in WTF-style (traditional taekwondo, not sport taekwondo). Currently 2nd Dan.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
4 years as a kid in ITF-style taekwondo, then a loooooong break, then 9 years in WTF-style (traditional taekwondo, not sport taekwondo). Currently 2nd Dan.
Not to be argumentative, but if you're doing WTF then you are, by definition, doing sport Taekwondo. WTF is a sports organisation. Perhaps you do Kukkiwon Taekwondo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) is the governing body of Olympic (sport) taekwondo in the world, right? That's the main purpose for the existence of the the WTF. In that regard to say you practice WTF-style taekwondo, not sport taekwondo makes you sound very strange.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It always depresses me that a person would claim to hold Dan rank from an organization (the WTF) that doesn't even award rank. There is no such thing as WTF-style. The WTF is a governing body for the sport of Olympic Taekwondo.
Didn't you ever actually READ your Dan certificate? You really should. Because it's not from the WTF.

#facepalm

Sarah G

White Belt
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but... I didn't claim to have a WTF Dan grade, that would be ridiculous. You leapt to your own conclusions, Dirty Dog. And yes, I can read.

I've learnt ITF rules of sparring and WTF rules of sparring, they are very different styles for sure, or they were when I was taught them. So there is (or was) a distinct ITF style and a distinct WTF style in that respect, and so it's OK for me to refer to it in that way. ITF/WTF is also a useful shorthand for referring to other differences such as which poomsae you are taught, etc. but perhaps that isn't common in the US.

In the UK, 'sport taekwondo' refers to clubs primarily concerned with sparring for the Olympics and not interested in taekwondo as a martial art. If I had said 'traditional taekwondo and not JUST sport taekwondo', and then that might have been clearer, for which I apologise.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but... I didn't claim to have a WTF Dan grade, that would be ridiculous. You leapt to your own conclusions, Dirty Dog. And yes, I can read.

I've learnt ITF rules of sparring and WTF rules of sparring, they are very different styles for sure, or they were when I was taught them. So there is (or was) a distinct ITF style and a distinct WTF style in that respect, and so it's OK for me to refer to it in that way. ITF/WTF is also a useful shorthand for referring to other differences such as which poomsae you are taught, etc. but perhaps that isn't common in the US.

In the UK, 'sport taekwondo' refers to clubs primarily concerned with sparring for the Olympics and not interested in taekwondo as a martial art. If I had said 'traditional taekwondo and not JUST sport taekwondo', and then that might have been clearer, for which I apologise.

Ok. Let's back track a little here. Welcome to MT, where many folks tend to be very particular. I think what you are saying is that you practice Kukkiwon/Kukki style taekwondo, as someone else has noted. When you say Kukki style, it normally covers sparring, poomsae, some hoshinshul and some terminology that is universally recognized by practitioners of the style. If you insist on saying WTF here on MT and in the circles of those that tend to be particular, you are telling us that you focus on WTF (i.e Olympic) sparring. On another note, the term "traditional" is often a confusing and loaded term. What tradition are we talking about, especially if we throw in the WTF, an organization founded in 1973?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The ITF is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed and awards rank.
Kukkiwon TKD is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed, curriculum, and awards rank.
The ATA is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific detail of how techniques are performed, curriculum, and awards rank.
The GTF is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed, curriculum, and awards rank.
The MDK is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed, curriculum, and awards rank.
The WTF is a sports governing body. It does not do these things. It is not a style of TKD.
It is not a useful shorthand, because it is incorrect. KKW TKD is a useful shorthand. Because it denotes a style.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ITF is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed and awards rank.
Kukkiwon TKD is a style. It sets standards for forms, sparring, specific details of how techniques are performed, curriculum, and awards rank.

The WTF is a sports governing body. It does not do these things. It is not a style of TKD.
I thought WTF set the rules, and hence "standards" for sparring. As a result of that understanding, I don't disagree with someone who says they practice WTF-style TKD; the KKW-grading schools I have seen spar in WTF rules, and focus their training on that ruleset (e.g., little practice on knee kicks or head punches, since they are not allowed in tournaments).

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
PS: I'm 1st dan with KKW, 26 years in TKD with a 20 year break in the middle.

Latest Discussions