Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

40+TKDLee

Hello All,

I am WTF 1st Gup (plan is to test for 1st Dan in July 2005), my dojang is Action Arts Academy of Poquoson, Virginia. I have been studying since 2001.

Pilsung!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
40+TKDLee said:
Hello All,

I am WTF 1st Gup (plan is to test for 1st Dan in July 2005), my dojang is Action Arts Academy of Poquoson, Virginia. I have been studying since 2001.

Pilsung!
Welcome to MT. What are you doing to prepare for your test?

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um, I'm an orange belt (our school goes white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, brown, black) I've been doing it for about 6th months and I test for yellow belt sometime in the next few weeks

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Um, I'm an orange belt (our school goes white, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, brown, black) I've been doing it for about 6th months and I test for yellow belt sometime in the next few weeks
Good Luck!

What are you doing to prepare for your test?

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck!

Thanks

What are you doing to prepare for your test?

Nothing special, really. I view the belts and tests and such as more like mileage markers along the road than as goals in there own right. I'm constantly trying to make myself better than I was the day before so I don't really single out anything particular to do to prepare for testing because in my mind it's important to be as good as I can be in everything I've been trained in; some of which I won't be tested on yet, or ever. The test will come and I pray I will be ready for it because I'm good enough to be at that level, not just because I prepared for the test specifically

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Nothing special, really. I view the belts and tests and such as more like mileage markers along the road than as goals in there own right. I'm constantly trying to make myself better than I was the day before .....
Jay,

That was a wonderful answer (though internally inconsistent, but that's a matter of perspective too). You say "nothing special" but then you are trying to improve yourself one day at a time. That is the key and it IS special since many folks just "practice", they don't "train."

Good Luck!

Miles

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bump, maybe we could have a sticky on this? TW

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Jay,

That was a wonderful answer (though internally inconsistent, but that's a matter of perspective too). You say "nothing special" but then you are trying to improve yourself one day at a time. That is the key and it IS special since many folks just "practice", they don't "train."

Good Luck!

I myself don't see the difference, When I practice I practice all aspects of TKD, So I don't train for a promotion I Practice what has already been taught to me. I do however train for a tourny. So that I may be stronger, faster and more articulate in my motions so that I may someday bring home the gold.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a second dan (1st dan Kukkiwon, 2nd dan ITF). I've been training for 24 years. (Long story that I shared too many times here before).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started formal training in taekwondo in March 1991 at Moo Sul Kwan, founded by a Chang Moo Kwan grandmaster, Lee H. Park.

Chon-ji, Taeguek 1-8, Chung Moo and Koryo required forms.

Other ITF forms between Chon Ji and Chung Moo were optional. I practiced both ITF and WTF forms till blue belt, then dropped practicing ITFs (was too much, considering I was also doing hapkido. I decided I'd rather get more repetition in on the required WTF forms).

1st Dan, MSK, March 1995. Nam Suk Lee was at the test.

Couple of months later, took a break for almost two years, resumed training TKD.

2nd Dan, U.S. Chung Do Kwan, May 2000. GMs Ed and Brenda Sell sat on the testing panel.

Retired from TKD to resume hapkido training -- wish I could retire to a life of martial arts and do both.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I took Tae Kwon Do for a year and earned my orange belt. I had to take a year and a half off for injuries. I began again this past March, I tested for green in July and passed. I am now working towards blue belt.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
December will be 5 years total in TKD for me. I'm just a 1st gup, cause I changed dojangs three times. I finally found a TKD dojang I like (ITF). I did WTF for a year. TKD MDK for a year. Back to WTF for two and a half. Now ITF since June of this year.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello to all---

I just joined MartialTalk a few days ago and this seems a good thread to introduce myself on. I've been doing TKD for the past two and a half years, am 59 years old and a brown belt in Columbus, Ohio under Allen Shirley, fifth dan Kukkiwon certified, whose instructional lineage is Song Moo Kwan. I know---if that's the right word!---who many of you are, because I `lurked' on the MT TKD site for about four months before signing up last week and have read pretty much every thread that's been posted here. So I have already learned much from you folks and hope to learn much more.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a really small world. I have also just joined MT and I was one of Mr. Shirley's judges on his testing board when he tested for 3rd dan under Greg.

Whoa---small indeed [`Twilight Zone' theme playing in the background]. That would have been a few years back, yes, Kwan Jang? Where are you these days?

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was July 2000. It was my first time on a test board as a full Kwan Jang Nim. Mr. Shirley was the only one testing for 3rd while my student, Allen Clark (who just got 4th in June), Romy, Tess, and Anna tested for 2nd. Apparently, Mr.Shirley had some type of falling out w/ Greg, which I don't know the details of (nor is it any of my business), but I've only seen him once since then. About two years ago, we were both at Keith Anderson's tournament in Cinncinattito support Keith. At first, I didn't even recognize Allen because his appearance had changed so much.

I'm still running my school just outside of Nashville, but each year I come up and help the Ohio schools run their black belt test. Say hello to your instructor for me. I didn't get to know hiim that well, but from my viewpoint, I was always impressed by him both as a martial artist and as a person.