Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven't posted anything like this. The Kenpo people have WAY overmanned us. Wouldn't be good in a fight. :goop:

Anyway, mostly for people looking and perhaps joining us....please list yourself, your rank, years in, when you joined Taekwondo, please.

:partyon:

N

NW Boiler

1st Dan , 3 years (I have been slacking), studying TKD since 1999

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Started in 1984 with Gin Kim in southern California, Currently 3rd DAN own my own school here in Texas have my wife and three son's in it. My son's our 10 1st Poom 7 red belt and 5 red belt my wife is almost ready for Black Belt taken her 5 years but she has hung in there.. I think this was a great post TigarWoman Keep up the good work... God Bless America

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am currently a green belt (6 Kup) and have been studying for a year. I originally started at a WTF school, but had to leave for college- that was back in 1999, and I was only a yellow belt there.

D

David4516

I am currently a Purple belt (4 kup/gup)

I started about 5 years ago, but I had to quit for a year do to an operation I had. I just started up again in september...

So actual time spent was more like 4 years...

My friends that started at the same time I did 5 years ago are all brown belts now, and will be ready to test for black soon... so I feel kinda left behind...

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Started in 1994 and am currently a 2nd degree. Some people tell me I have been in this longer than they have held any one job. :uhyeah:

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started in 1991 and I am a 2nd dan in Chung Do Kwan TKD, I am loosely affiliated with the WTF and the KTA.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Started TKD in 1992, currently Red belt, I took a few years (8) off after my Black Belt Test, I missed a couple techniques and got depressed and never retested, I am just not getting back into it.

I

ipscshooter

I've been studying ITF style TKD since early 1999, so it's been about 5 1/2 years. I am currently a 1st Dan Black Belt. My two sons, ages 11 and 18, are also 1st Dan. The 11 year old and I continue to work towards 2nd dan, and he will be entering a Tang Soo Do program when he starts middle school this fall. The 18 year old is no longer active, as his job and girlfriend seem to consume all of his time.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
20 years in Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan-started in 1983 at the age of 14. Currently hold the rank of 4th Dan Black Belt and teach my own class affiliated with our Grandmaster's organization. Our school is WTF affiliated; we do the Palgue and WTF Black Belt forms.

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Been doing it for about 8 weeks, white belt first grading at the end of the month really looking forward to it.

I am with chung do kwan (WTF) in the north east of england

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

Six months, yellow belt testing for orange June 19.

Tried Soo Bahk Do for three months prior to that but couldn't put up with the one-way respect the master subscribed to. I needed to be where I could ask questions and get answers. So here I am with TKD under USTU and love it.

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually started TKD with ITF style back in the mid 70's then my mom had some money problems and I had to quit. I was a brown belt. Then back in 1991 I decided to take it up again, So I joined a WTF school With Master Duk Young Kwon, He made me start out as a white belt....AHHH!! But glad he did, he taught me Teageuk style. I am 41 yrs old Now, a 3rd Dan Kukkiwon Certified. Problem is I'm not a limber as I used to be...lol

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We haven't posted anything like this. The Kenpo people have WAY overmanned us. Wouldn't be good in a fight. :goop:

Anyway, mostly for people looking and perhaps joining us....please list yourself, your rank, years in, when you joined Taekwondo, please.

:partyon:

Boy the rank/status question is a toughy for TKD. There are so many different versions, schools, and standards. A 1st degree in one school could smoke a 5th degree in another. So this doesn't do much for credability, but it is interesting to know who has done or does TKD here on MT! :)

I started at a TKD/kickboxing/grappling "fight" school when I was 7. My teacher had recieved his 5th degree in ITF style from Han San Yu in Michigan (one of 8 Yu brothers who brought TKD to this state), and then won the world championship in kickboxing. Tired of the politics at the time, he broke off from the ITF.

He would only promote to 3rd degree, so 3rd was the highest ranked outside of Kerry Roop (the school owner) who was 5th. Yet, for awhile, we had students who ran amok on the open tournament circuit, winning national championships with only 1st and 2nd degrees. We even had a romanian guy with us for awhile (orignally a WTF guy) who ended up joining the Olimpic TKD team, and he was only a 2nd or 3rd degree.

Yet, I still run into TKD schools to this day with 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th degrees running around who have no competitive experience, and who have far less experience then some of the 2nd and 3rd degrees that I know. It's funny how it works that way.

Anyways, I studied TKD for about 12 or 13 years (age 7-19). I only have a 1st degree black belt from my school, because I didn't want a "junior black belt," and you couldn't have a real black belt at my school until you were at least 18 years of age. So, after my 18th B-day, I got my belt.

I now am not active in TKD, because I now persue other more combative and weapons based arts (will have been active in that for 15 yrs coming next year).

But...I can still "talk shop" a little with you crazy TKD-ers!
:uhyeah: :asian:

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started at age 47 and am now, in 2004, 54. That makes it 8 years. My daughter and my son got me into it. Really thought I would be a professional white belt forever when I joined, but 3 months later... My kids tested for 1st Dan a couple of years before me, but between high school and college, they both are not longer active. I have tested and have one break to complete to get to 2nd Dan. My school is WTF style, we do Taekguek and after 1st Dan, we learn Chonji, etc. ITF forms to test for 2nd. Wasn't flexible at the start but am now - anything is possible with work!
:asian:

K

kwanjang

TigerWoman said:
I started at age 47 and am now, in 2004, 54. That makes it 8 years. My daughter and my son got me into it. Really thought I would be a professional white belt forever when I joined, but 3 months later... My kids tested for 1st Dan a couple of years before me, but between high school and college, they both are not longer active. I have tested and have one break to complete to get to 2nd Dan. My school is WTF style, we do Taekguek and after 1st Dan, we learn Chonji, etc. ITF forms to test for 2nd. Wasn't flexible at the start but am now - anything is possible with work!
:asian:

Fantastic TigerWoman. Although I teach Hap Ki Do (54 years now), and I probably have no business in this thread, I most certainly admire you for your tenacity and courage. Many more years to ya:)

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Boy the rank/status question is a toughy for TKD. There are so many different versions, schools, and standards. A 1st degree in one school could smoke a 5th degree in another. So this doesn't do much for credability, but it is interesting to know who has done or does TKD here on MT! :)

I started at a TKD/kickboxing/grappling "fight" school when I was 7. My teacher had recieved his 5th degree in ITF style from Han San Yu in Michigan (one of 8 Yu brothers who brought TKD to this state), and then won the world championship in kickboxing. Tired of the politics at the time, he broke off from the ITF.

He would only promote to 3rd degree, so 3rd was the highest ranked outside of Kerry Roop (the school owner) who was 5th. Yet, for awhile, we had students who ran amok on the open tournament circuit, winning national championships with only 1st and 2nd degrees. We even had a romanian guy with us for awhile (orignally a WTF guy) who ended up joining the Olimpic TKD team, and he was only a 2nd or 3rd degree.

Yet, I still run into TKD schools to this day with 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th degrees running around who have no competitive experience, and who have far less experience then some of the 2nd and 3rd degrees that I know. It's funny how it works that way.

Anyways, I studied TKD for about 12 or 13 years (age 7-19). I only have a 1st degree black belt from my school, because I didn't want a "junior black belt," and you couldn't have a real black belt at my school until you were at least 18 years of age. So, after my 18th B-day, I got my belt.

I now am not active in TKD, because I now persue other more combative and weapons based arts (will have been active in that for 15 yrs coming next year).

But...I can still "talk shop" a little with you crazy TKD-ers!
:uhyeah: :asian:
Your just awsome, aren't you? Usually it's the ones who type like this who can't back it up. Competition is not the only way to gain experience, you should realize that in all your wisdom. As for myself, I have won a few state championships and 1 international(in canada). That doesn't make me a better fighter, it just means I know how to play the game, all fighting in competition is a game. There are rules and regulations, In true combat, there are no rules.

I think that years in the art is a sufficient way to measure somebody else's ability.

Oh, I wanted to say also that I study the TaeGeuk forms... Which isn't as popular as I thought it was.

N

NW Boiler

TigerWoman....... I am smitten! :) I bow to you and your ability to perserver!!!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in '89 through '94. I achieved 2nd black. I'm also proud to have attained my 2nd black in with the Kenpo community. However I'm not one of those people who forgot where my roots came from. If anyone watches me spar they know. I still visit my first instructor one a somewhat regular basis in which we talk and I look at his new students, give my thoughts on the individuals then leave.

R

RCastillo

jfarnsworth said:
I started in '89 through '94. I achieved 2nd black. I'm also proud to have attained my 2nd black in with the Kenpo community. However I'm not one of those people who forgot where my roots came from. If anyone watches me spar they know. I still visit my first instructor one a somewhat regular basis in which we talk and I look at his new students, give my thoughts on the individuals then leave.

Me, started in 83, and am semi inactive, 3rd Dan, ITF. My roots are also of great importance within Kenpo, but Kenpo is my main art.

My job now is to keep an eye on JFarnsworth, and keep him in check! :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions