Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I can think of is kicking when you're in close instead of using a punch which would likely be more effective, quicker and easier to pull off.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because kicks are worth more points competitors often try to kick each other in the head when they are standing 6 inches from each other.

I'm not sure I understand why that's inappropriate in the context of WTF competition, or am understanding you wrong? Do you mean inappropriate in an SD sense?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why that's inappropriate in the context of WTF competition, or am understanding you wrong? Do you mean inappropriate in an SD sense?

Referring back to the context. It's a response to my statement that the WTF ruleset is just about the worst possible rules for anything other than the extremely narrow application of WTF tournament competition. Kicking at silly ranges was brought up as one of the many bad habits encouraged by this ruleset; bad habits for which the person can pay a painful penalty in any other context.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
They do not "defer" to them, as that wold indicate that the WTF is the greater authority on KKW sparring, which obviously is not true. They do endorse the WTF rules. Hardly the same thing.

Defer - submit to or acknowledge the merit of: he deferred to Tim's superior knowledge.
-- Oxford Dictionary of English

Seems to apply quite correctly here. Not necessarily "authority" in terms of who is boss, but in terms of who runs the most sparring competitions out of KKW or WTF, the WTF clearly has more merit in it's sparring rules decisions, hence why the KKW uses the WTF rules.

clifflwms

White Belt
Reaction score
We haven't posted anything like this. The Kenpo people have WAY overmanned us. Wouldn't be good in a fight. :goop:

Anyway, mostly for people looking and perhaps joining us....please list yourself, your rank, years in, when you joined Taekwondo, please.

:partyon:
Started TaeKwonDo training in 1982, went into the Military in 1986 and started training Tang Soo Do and Shotokan. Recently returned to TKD. (2nd Dan)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started training in 1975. Rose up to the rank of 6th Dan in TKD under the same instructor. I discontinued rank progression in TKD in favor of KSD.

escuelafraternidad

White Belt
Reaction score
32 years in Tae Kwon Do ITF, started in 1987 at the age of 25. Currently hold the rank of 5th Dan Black Belt (certified by ITF of GMs Pablo Trajtenberg / Wim Boss / Armando Grispino, and so on). I run my own dojang with pupils of all ages (4 to 55 in differents shifts). My dojang is affiliated with Escuela Fraternidad de Taekwondo in Argentina, run by 4 Masters (2 of them are 8th, and the other 2 are 7th)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven't posted anything like this. The Kenpo people have WAY overmanned us. Wouldn't be good in a fight. :goop:

Anyway, mostly for people looking and perhaps joining us....please list yourself, your rank, years in, when you joined Taekwondo, please.

:partyon:

Started TKD 1985 in ATA school, Then-2D Mark Prosser instructing, stuck with it through 2000. Switched from ATA to WTF and got to 4th dan. Pretty much put it ont he shelf, though the footwork shows up at inappropriate times while in judo/aikido mat stuff sometimes.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe I missed this thread.

6th Degree, Master Instructor. Total of 35 years training, 3 with Jhoon Rhee's organization and 32 with the ATA.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe I missed this thread.

6th Degree, Master Instructor. Total of 35 years training, 3 with Jhoon Rhee's organization and 32 with the ATA.
I know, right? I noted it when it popped up in the "new posts" when I clicked it... that's how I peruse MT. I read the O/P, not reallyt hinking about it and thought, "Huh, funny how that's never been asked before now..." skipped to page 14 and then I saw when the first post on the last page was dated. Whoa...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3rd degree black belt in KKW, 10 years of training.

Started training around 1995, quit around 1999 as a green belt (from ages 7-11). Quit to focus on wrestling in middle school. Started over as a white belt at my current dojang in 2013. Thanks to a combination of my previous experience, as well as my Master putting me on the fast-track where I started teaching as a blue belt, and spent 20+ hours per week at the dojang, it took me 5 years to go from white belt to 3rd degree black belt (2 years to get black belt, 1 year for 2nd dan, 2 years for 3rd dan). Been 3rd dan for about a year.

aw4kened

White Belt
Reaction score
My father was an instructor so my official start date is really hard to nail down, that said, I'm currently 2nd Dan, WTF. I just need to test for 3rd when I get back to classes after an injury. I've been doing TKD off and on for around 15 years.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First trained from 1991 to 1996, then from 2012 untill now. 3rd dan.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Trained Tae-Kwon-Do off and on for many years, all the while training everything else. I have the same rank in Tae-Kwon-Do as I do in American Karate and several other arts. All my Black belts are embroidered thusly - 階級無意味, 武士道一筋.

Only a complete heathen, infidel like myself would embroider an American Karate AND a Tae-Kwon-Do black belt with Japanese characters. But it is not meant as disrespect, but rather as an homage.
Loosely translated it reads "Rank is meaningless. Bushido is the only path."

God, I so love being a heathen. A non traditional, respectful, traditional heathen at that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tested earlier this year for 5th Dan WTF and 7th Dan MDK TKD. Been at it for 37 years.
I'm sort of like Buka, I show no rank on my belt. My GM game me his belt about 10 years ago. I took it and my first BB which I was still wearing took half from each and made one belt. Kind of a beginning and end / Um Yang thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My father was an instructor so my official start date is really hard to nail down, that said, I'm currently 2nd Dan, WTF. I just need to test for 3rd when I get back to classes after an injury. I've been doing TKD off and on for around 15 years.

Welcome to Martial talk, bro. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another cool to read thread, this is.

Latest Discussions