Who's Taekwondo on this Board – Rank, Years?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was July 2000. It was my first time on a test board as a full Kwan Jang Nim. Mr. Shirley was the only one testing for 3rd while my student, Allen Clark (who just got 4th in June), Romy, Tess, and Anna tested for 2nd. Apparently, Mr.Shirley had some type of falling out w/ Greg, which I don't know the details of (nor is it any of my business), but I've only seen him once since then.

Hi KJ---yes, I know about that, but no details. One doesn't like to pry, eh?

>About two years ago, we were both at Keith Anderson's tournament in >Cinncinattito support Keith. At first, I didn't even recognize Allen because >his appearance had changed so much.

He went up to fourth I think some time in 2003, and he just got his fifth earlier this year. It's funny you mention him looking so different to you after four years of not seeing him, because I have the same sense after not seeing him for a couple of months in the summer.

>I'm still running my school just outside of Nashville, but each year I come >up and help the Ohio schools run their black belt test.

Cool---I hope I'll get to meet you, then, sometime in the next couple of years!

>Say hello to your instructor for me.

I will, for sure---we start up again this Tuesday, will pass on your greeting then.

>I didn't get to know hiim that well, but from my viewpoint, I was always >impressed by him both as a martial artist and as a person.

I will do. He is a spectacular person in both respects. And relevant to the other thread we're on in the General MA discussion, I think he also views TKD as an inherently mixed fighting art---nothing at all like the virtually exclusive kicking art that it has morphed into in some quarters as a result of the Olympic influence. He's always trying to get begininng students to remember to `keep your hands up while you're kicking!!' And I know he's done some hapkido, and his approach to self-defense is very realistic. I really lucked out finding him as my instructor.

tkd101

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello there,
Started about 3-3 1/2 yrs ago. Am now a 1st dan assistant instructor in my school. I go to a WTF TKD school (Parks Taekwondo Academy). I am also an orange belt in the art of Hai Dong Gumdo (sword play) that we also learn in our school. Cant enough about the art of TKD, it has done alot for me in my confidence and self perspective. My daughter also takes it with me and she is a red belt. She also enjoys it.

Terryowl

White Belt
Reaction score
About 25 years, (give or take a day). 2nd Dan Tang Soo Do, 1st Dan TKD, Purple belt Hak Ki Do.

Assistant Instructor for one of our branch schools from 1994-1996
Assistant Instructor for the TKD club I am in here in China, with over 200 students attending classes. Lot's of fun, being the only Foreigner in the Do Jang.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a 32 year old 3rd Dan from Stevenage, Herts, UK. I train under Master Carl Lees (previously under Master Pan, Sim-Woon). My current aims are to lose weight (I stopped training for a while and piled it on), take my 4th Dan (aiming for next August) and then sit the Foreign Instructor Course at the Kukkiwon (summer 2008).

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a 32 year old 3rd Dan from Stevenage, Herts, UK. I train under Master Carl Lees (previously under Master Pan, Sim-Woon). My current aims are to lose weight (I stopped training for a while and piled it on), take my 4th Dan (aiming for next August) and then sit the Foreign Instructor Course at the Kukkiwon (summer 2008).

Hello, Andy, good to have you here!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Andy it is nice to have you here, the foreign instructor course is a great learning tool wish you luck.
Terry

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy it is nice to have you here, the foreign instructor course is a great learning tool wish you luck.
Terry

Thanks Terry,

I'm only just beginning to get back to fitness after a long layoff (so loving relearning all the patterns with recent changes) but going to Korea has always been a goal. I'm lucky that we have enough money for me to do it now (I'm not loaded, but started my own business and it's doing well), my wife is supportive of this desire and going out there for a reason makes great sense.

I'm looking forward to the course.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Welcome to MT, Andy! It's good to have you here.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Andy!

Pan Sim Woon was in my class at the 10th Foreigner Instructor Course.

Miles

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Andy!

Pan Sim Woon was in my class at the 10th Foreigner Instructor Course.

Cool, he's a really good guy.

I'm hoping to sit the Foreign Instructor Course in 2008 and I know he's going for his next grading in 2008, I wonder if he'll be there at the same time...

anuarsamsudin

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm father of 5 kids. All kukkiwon taekwondo practitioner from Malaysia. My youngest daughter has just been promoted to 1st pomme last year (dec 2015) at the age of 7. She start practice taekwondo at the age of 3 (casually without any grading for 1 year) and start taking it seriously a year later. Won several state tournament (gold medalist) and national gold medalist for her age. She performed better than her elder team member for poomsae (taeguk), able to perform all 8 taeguk as required by the examiner. Month before the grading, she practice taeguk 1 to 8 almost everyday under supervision of her sisters and brother until she's able to perform it by herself. So....did she deserved it? I think so...

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way overdue, but here you go.

4th Degree by 2004, started in 1986, stayed with TKD, branched into Hapkido (HKD) at about 2nd degree. I think that was... 1992? I actually can't quite remember. Every once in a while I'll dust off the old uni and go do the old poomse, both ATA and WTF stuff (was in both organizations, as weird as that sounds). Ended up sort of sliding away from it to do judo-aikido as I got older, easier on the body. Total time actually "in" was around 20 years, ish.

Texas TKD Lady

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 36 years old and 1st dan. I started as a child in 1990, quit about two years later at blue belt/red tip, then started back as an adult in 2013.
We're WTF style, and we do palgwe forms. I don't see palgwe as often, at least not on this forum.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're WTF style, and we do palgwe forms. I don't see palgwe as often, at least not on this forum.

Probably because they were dropped by the Kukkiwon after only about 5 years of use back in the 70s, so it's only instructors that left Korea during that time that really kept doing them. Most people moved on to the Taegeuk series and the Palgwe are considered to be abandoned (they aren't in the Kukkiwon textbook, the Master Instructor textbook, the Poom/Dan examiner textbook, aren't tested during Dan gradings at Kukkiwon, etc).

From what I understand they are supposed to be quite nice, but I have enough to focus on without learning abandoned patterns as well...

Texas TKD Lady

White Belt
Reaction score
The palgwe forms are beautiful, but I'm partial to forms so I love them all. :) I'm not familiar with taeguk so I'm not able to compare. Apparently my current school used to do taeguk but then went back to palgwe. I have no recollection of the style we did when I was a child. My grandmaster is from Korea and came to the US in the late 1970s, so that may explain why we went more old school.

Latest Discussions