Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Why was Lee Wedlake not on the list. He has been constantly releasing books and writting very good articles about kenpo for many years. His knowledge, understanding and kenpo ability are quite remarkable. Not only does he know kenpo as well as any he his very knowledgable in Tia Chi, Kail + systema.

????
OK, I can't resist. You're only allotted so many spaces for the poll, and the person who put it on there put the people he was most familiar with. The last one, is where you can put your answer in your post if not on list. Very simple really.

DarK LorD

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Atlanta-Kenpo said:
Why was Lee Wedlake not on the list. He has been constantly releasing books and writting very good articles about kenpo for many years. His knowledge, understanding and kenpo ability are quite remarkable. Not only does he know kenpo as well as any he his very knowledgable in Tia Chi, Kail + systema.

????
I'm sure that Lee like anyone else who deserves to be mentioned on this list does not care. The more important question is who will impact your Kenpo the most in the next 10 years.

I was fortunate enough to spend more than two hours testing in front of Mr. Wedlake in June. It wasn't a private but it felt like the best class I ever had. The rank is unimportant the instruction was fabulous. The person who impacts Kenpo the most may just be the best politician. I know at least 30 EPAK instructors who I would be proud to study with. I know there are many more I don't know. My instructor Mr. Steve Hatfield is a fabulous instructor but do to personal inclination, is unlikely to affect more than this very small pocket of EPAK here in Ohio.

One of Mr. Parker's enduring legacies is providing a system with a huge network of excellent instructors.

respectfully,

Jeff

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
OK, I can't resist. You're only allotted so many spaces for the poll, and the person who put it on there put the people he was most familiar with. The last one, is where you can put your answer in your post if not on list. Very simple really.

DarK LorD

Thank you Clyde that is correct. Also, I would like to add that I may have overestimated the influence of some seniors I did put on the list but who failed to garner a lot of votes from this crowd. I did want to put more, and Mr. Wedlake was tied with about 5 others for 11th place in my short list when writing this poll.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
I'm sure that Lee like anyone else who deserves to be mentioned on this list does not care. The more important question is who will impact your Kenpo the most in the next 10 years.
Couldn't have said it better sir. The person that matters the most and has the greatest impact from anyone's perspective is the one that stands in front of you in your classes. The rest is an intellectual discussion.

Lee is a great guy and so are many, many others. Its hard to do a poll and put everyone you want, so ...

At any rate, "small pocket kenpo" is what it is all about. That's where the best work is being done, from my perpective.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Docs quote
..... "small pocket kenpo"........That's where the best work is being done...

Halleiujah.... from what I have seen that's definitely where its at!

Once gain Doc you have hit that nail firmly on the head.

Hasta !
Rich

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who will impact Kenpo the most in the next ten years? I'll have to go with.............the recent 1st Degree Brown Belts and Black Belts. They will be the torch bearers in the years to come. It's not necessarily what who is teaching (ie. Doc, Mills, Tatum, Planas, Trejo, etc.) it's how the people learning these lessons apply them that will impact kenpo the most in the next 10-20 even 100 years. Food for thought.

kenpostart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here in Germany the situation is now not so easy as in the beginning.

In the late 70s Mr. Rainer Schulte founded the first Kenpo group in Germany, later on a Kenpo school was opened by Mr. Christian Springer. Some of their black belts are running an Kenpo group near Düsseldorf after the retreat of Mr. Rainer Schulte and Mr. Christian Springer.
This Kenpo group is now affiliated to the Progressivekenposystems of Mr. Lee Wedlake Jr. and Mr. Gary Ellis.

The second Kenpo group in Düsseldorf is runned by a black belt studied at Mr. Larry Kongaika at the Pasadena Studio.

There is small Kenpo group near the "Ruhrgebiet" and in Sourthern Germany which are trained by a green and brown belt.

There is another Kenpo school located near Stuttgart. This black belt passed his first black belt test by Mr. Norman Sandler in the States.

In Berlin and Eastern Germany is a Kenpo assocation which is operated by a black belt without any information about his family tree on his webpage.

The newest (two ?) Kenpo schools in Germany follows Mr. Jeff Speakman.

I think here in Germany there is big influence by:
  • Mr. Gary Ellis (Mr. Lee Wedlake Jr.) for basics, basics, basics ...
  • Mr. Richard "Huk" Planas for "original" techniques
And I'm looking forward for Mr. Jeff Speakman (I hope I can attend to his seminar here in Germany in Sept.)

Hmm,
the general Kenpo journey in Germany is very difficult ... but I mean there is no singular name in the next ten years at the horizon.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe in a way, on a personal and practical level, this question doesn't matter so much. Maybe we should each study, train and teach as though the future quality of Kenpo depends on US.

just something to think about.

Your Brother
John

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Maybe in a way, on a personal and practical level, this question doesn't matter so much. Maybe we should each study, train and teach as though the future quality of Kenpo depends on US.

just something to think about.

Your Brother
John
Hey, there's an idea...

:D

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did I understand that Mr.Mills has changed the forms? Is'nt Mr.Parker Sr. quoted as saying. "Do what you will, but if you change the forms. Don't call it kenpo". end quote.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
donald said:
Did I understand that Mr.Mills has changed the forms? Is'nt Mr.Parker Sr. quoted as saying. "Do what you will, but if you change the forms. Don't call it kenpo". end quote.

I'd never heard that quote before, where do you find him saying that?
In the end though, what does it matter. If it offends you to call something that's been changed "Kenpo"....then don't. Those of us that Do it can call it what we like.

It's this kind of rancid devicivness that makes the Kenpo community, in general and from every direction, stink.
sorry...just calling it like it is.

Your Brother
John

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
donald said:
Mr. Parker never said that. Sorry.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds more like what Bruce Lee said about "Jeet Kune Do"...abandon the name if it becomes a matter of focus or concern.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
To Any Concerned,

First let me say that I have no interest or desire to be a rabble rouser in any sense. All I am doing is asking a question. I read the aforementioned quote in either K.I., or Blackbelt. A number of years ago. The article was about American Kenpo forms, and their importance to the system. I believe the interviewee' was John Sepulavda(sp?). I can't believe I am the only one to have read this article.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I kind of have to agree with Brother john on this one.
That's the same kind of statement as "If you aren't doing the 24 technique system, you aren't doing Ed Parker's Kenpo, period." What that really is is arrogance of a very high degree.
Me, I say that I am studying Ed Parker's American Kenpo as taught by Professor Conatser, but it's MY kenpo.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
DING DING DING DING>>>>>
THAT was the CORRECT answer.....it's YOUR Kenpo!!
I like that.

Your Brother
John
I thought everyone already knew the motion curriculum is designed for individual interpretation to make it your own. Even in SL-4, students have preferences. The difference is we require a level of competency in curriculum before a student is allowed to express their own preferences and creativity, like most traditional arts. I thought we covered this years ago John. :)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc said:
I thought everyone already knew the motion curriculum is designed for individual interpretation to make it your own. Even in SL-4, students have preferences. The difference is we require a level of competency in curriculum before a student is allowed to express their own preferences and creativity, like most traditional arts. I thought we covered this years ago John. :)

True.
That's one of the things I like about doing my Kenpo (Motion Kenpo, my Kenpo.... Sam Ting I guess)... it's as adaptive to me as I am to it. I was just saying to Seig that I liked what he said; that our art serves the individual instead of the individual serving the art.

I understand the differences between Motion and SL-4 as you present them, but I sure do appreciate and enjoy the Kenpo that I do have... no matter the name or descriptor.

Have a Great one!!

Your Brother
John

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I feel the same darn way. Here I am all by my lonesome, depressed and feeling blue living in Maui.....:rofl: We are under the 16 tech. paradigm...No extensions for shodan. So therefore am I not getting the "whole system"?? Maybe some kenpoist would say so. Mr. Huk does not care either way..24/16..how can you move and do you understand what you are doing...although I have to admit....watching Mr. Tatum's video helped me understand Long 4 better than if I just learned the form without doing the techs on the body. So where do we draw the line? DO we get a Sullivan student/Trejo student/Chapel student /Planas student and a Tatum student/ Mills student and have a royal rumble?? I am sure each one will bring an eye opening perspective to this beautiful art we all call
"American" Kenpo... :asian: