Where do we draw the line?

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...which means that a lot of the times you're programming yourself to perform a technique under unsuitable circumstances.

When I'm in this situation I shut down the 'training' part of my brain and don't come back after the class is over. It usually results in me falling down a lot for the other guy and going through the motions when I'm tori.

In my opinion, training yourself to act inappropriately is suicide.

Picture this scenario - the newer guy interprets your assertiveness as non-purposeful aggression on your part, and either chickens out or tries to step up to the challenge with an added dosage of strength and hostility. I've seen both happen plenty of times.

When I say using intention with newer students - I talking about specifically a very slo-mo attack. If they don't move they will feel my attack, but it will be no more than a very gentle 'push' (for lack of a better word). I use this as an opportunity to really, really focus on and train the 'structure' of my kamae while moving slowly. The way I train this it's actually very difficult for me to do (hard to explain in words though).

So, it's good training to me as well as my partner. In fact, I won't do anything that isn't good training for both people. In a two hour class, training well for half and poorly for half means I just should have went running instead!

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I'm in this situation I shut down the 'training' part of my brain and don't come back after the class is over. It usually results in me falling down a lot for the other guy and going through the motions when I'm tori.

I'm not following.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've walked out of ongoing training a couple of times

I said I stop my own training, not that I leave or sit out. I've never walked out of an ongoing training; I really don't care to draw that much attention.

This is the situation I was trying to describe here:

me said:

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What can I say? Stopping training for me means not being there.

Ok.

For me, moving my arms and legs around in a dojo is not necessarily training.

I'm sure we can all remember people in school who where present physically in the class, but not actually learning.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hear you but isnt that a disservice to your training partner and Sensi? Just a thought.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok.

For me, moving my arms and legs around in a dojo is not necessarily training.

I'm sure we can all remember people in school who where present physically in the class, but not actually learning.

I can see now what you mean. As for me, I haven't been sure that what I've seen has been real or not for the past six years or so, so I'm not always in a position to make that distinction.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As for me, I haven't been sure that what I've seen has been real or not for the past six years or so

That's a tough spot. Going to need to find a way out of that.

so I'm not always in a position to make that distinction.

Go with your gut. Have an opinion and either you'll be right or eventually proved wrong. Either way you'll learn something.

Don't know what to say... That's a really, really tough spot. What does your teacher say about how you feel?

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's a tough spot. Going to need to find a way out of that.

Don't see that happening anytime soon.

Go with your gut. Have an opinion and either you'll be right or eventually proved wrong. Either way you'll learn something.

What I meant was that I'm not always able to tell if something I do in training will benefit me in the long run. There are times when I know that is the case, when I know that it isn't, and when I really don't know.

Don't know what to say... That's a really, really tough spot. What does your teacher say about how you feel?

Which one?

Latest Discussions