List of sparring-related exercises within taijutsu practice

bencole

Green Belt
Reaction score
As to the hip bridging... I would have said hip-bridging is in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (as Sensei is pretty relaxed on control of Budo Taijutsu - allowing freedom to change and add as necessary...). You can probably take the Kihon Happo and use the "henka" card to attach to practically ANY Martial Arts move... The question comes down to which of the 9 traditions did the "bridging" come from (and then is *your* version of bridging the historically accurate one?)?

I would argue back that whether "hip bridging" or "shrimping" or anything like that is "in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu" has less to do with which tradition it supposedly comes from, and more to do with the *WAY* the body is used to accomplish it.

One can clearly do shrimping in ways that conflict with the teachings of Hatsumi-sensei, just as one can do shrimping in ways that mesh with them.

(Heck, I would argue that Hatsumi-sensei has been doing movements at Ayase that some would label as "hip bridging" and "shrimping" since before the whole Gracie Jiu-jutsu boom took off. Again, what is important is the way in which the movement is performed.)

I personally make students do a kind of "shrimping" for several months so they can learn the proper way of rotating the hips, but this "shrimping" is definitely different from the stuff I've seen on groundfighters.

I do this because the mechanics of shrimping can be used to isolate certain body parts, which, in turn, forces the student to learn certain movements in certain ways. I have used "Bujinkan shrimping methods" to teach students how to improve their power generation in striking, for example....

For some, the idea of using a "groundfighting move" to teach "standing striking" may sound strange. But if you spend time breaking down the skeletal movements, you will see that shrimping and striking are actually quite complementary to each other.

This is why it is so important to know "what is Taijutsu" and "what is not Taijutsu" before you start experimenting with such things. Otherwise, you could create anti-Taijutsu habits that lead you *VERY* far from the BBT path.

Once you get too far away, you literally will no longer be able to see what Hatsumi-sensei is doing.... And once that happens, it's really hard to get back on the path. You simply cannot see anything anymore!

-ben

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ben,

One of these times when we finally hook up I would like to see in person what you are talking about here. (just to see if it meshes with what I am visualizing in my mind)

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do this because the mechanics of shrimping can be used to isolate certain body parts, which, in turn, forces the student to learn certain movements in certain ways. I have used "Bujinkan shrimping methods" to teach students how to improve their power generation in striking, for example....

For some, the idea of using a "groundfighting move" to teach "standing striking" may sound strange. But if you spend time breaking down the skeletal movements, you will see that shrimping and striking are actually quite complementary to each other.

I hope this isn't another slug fest here... but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Shrimping is akin to hip escape. As a general rule -- you don't want to generate power by pulling your far side hip back... (yes, I know there are times to do this... but they are the exception, not the rule).

Once you get too far away, you literally will no longer be able to see what Hatsumi-sensei is doing.... And once that happens, it's really hard to get back on the path. You simply cannot see anything anymore!

-ben

Riiiight. That is a quite the leap you made there...

-DW

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope this isn't another slug fest here...
big_john.jpg

Dan are you ready?

Ben are you ready?

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score

-ben
obiwanwiltrainluke.jpg
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~j1jasina/Obi-Wan_Kenobi_&_Luke_Skywalker.jpg

"What happened to my father?"
"When I met your father he was fast becoming a great bujinkan warrior...I took it upon myself to teach him the basic backwards shrimping drill...it was a disaster...he strayed to the dark path and walked all the way to a galaxy far far away...so far that he could no longer see what Hatsumi-sensei was doing..."
"I want to be a great bujinkan warrior...like my father before me..."
"Then do not resist your destiny...resistance leads to the dark path!"

Latest Discussions