Where do we draw the line?

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's what Sensei are for, that whole "Gone Before" thing.

Sometimes I think that there's a problem these days in that a lot of the high-ups in the Bujinkan have forgotten what it's like to be kyu ranked. But that's the topic for another rant.

Your main one.

He's not teaching anything this fall.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes I think that there's a problem these days in that a lot of the high-ups in the Bujinkan have forgotten what it's like to be kyu ranked.

How is being kyu ranked any different than being dan ranked?

I mean the only difference I can think of is that at 5th dan you can file some paperwork and order patches.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How is being kyu ranked any different than being dan ranked?

I mean the only difference I can think of is that at 5th dan you can file some paperwork and order patches.

Seriously, you're joking, right?

I've had more than enough proof of the fact that the training atmospheres between dan ranked people, kyu ranked people and mixed groups are all totally different (at least it is in Honbu). Not to mention the very obvious fact that you're being observed and judged totally different depending on your belt color - which I actually feel should be cherished for as long as it last.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not about to call any instructor on the phone for the sole purpose of speaking about training. I don't think many people would.

Well, I can't speak for "many people", so I won't. I will however speak for my relationship with my teacher and my students:

I call my teacher often (once every week or two) to talk about training. Some of my students contact me every once in a while outside of dojo training as well to get my opinion or to bounce ideas off of me.

Budo is transmitted man to man. To me, that means that one needs a personal relationsip with your teacher.

If you can't ask your teacher what he thinks about your training, what's the point?

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, you're joking, right?

No.

I've had more than enough proof of the fact that the training atmospheres between dan ranked people, kyu ranked people and mixed groups are all totally different (at least it is in Honbu).

Well, I can't speak for the way others train. But I will mention how I train (and rank):

White: I am made of glass!
Green: My safety is your responsibility
Black: My safety is my responsibility

So, I may treat people differently in this way, but it's no more than a safety issue.

Not to mention the very obvious fact that you're being observed and judged totally different depending on your belt color

Well, maybe others do. I see a lot of people who aren't "my students" but who train on occasion with me. I really don't judge any differently based on their rank. Really.

which I actually feel should be cherished for as long as it last.

I think I understand where you're going with this....But you can't stay in grade school forever. And really, is anyone really ready for the "real world" when they graduate college?

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, maybe others do. I see a lot of people who aren't "my students" but who train on occasion with me. I really don't judge any differently based on their rank. Really.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can't base my views on the Bujinkan on the opinions of one person, that one being yourself.

I think I understand where you're going with this....But you can't stay in grade school forever.

I've made a pretty good effort. And no, you're probably never ready, but that's no excuse to not take some precautions.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can't base my views on the Bujinkan on the opinions of one person, that one being yourself.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure anyone should be basing any views of the Bujinkan on anyone but Soke, as he IS the Bujinkan.

As for the judging people based on rank. I don't even get it. Movement is movement. If two very differently ranked people move the exact same way are you going to have different opinions of the quality of the movement?

I've made a pretty good effort. And no, you're probably never ready, but that's no excuse to not take some precautions.

Seems to me that some people are looking for "The Glow (TM)"

It ain't comin'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure anyone should be basing any views of the Bujinkan on anyone but Soke, as he IS the Bujinkan.

As for the judging people based on rank. I don't even get it. Movement is movement. If two very differently ranked people move the exact same way are you going to have different opinions of the quality of the movement?

You are definately correct in that movement is movement. When I was last at the hombu dojo I worked with a Swede who was still just in the Kyu grade level. His movement was brilliant and he was alot of fun to work with for that very short period of time. Never over estimate someone based on their rank or status and never underestimate someone based on the same.
icon6.gif

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The way he practices Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is different from everyone else's way.

As for the judging people based on rank. I don't even get it. Movement is movement.

Totally agreed.

If two very differently ranked people move the exact same way are you going to have different opinions of the quality of the movement?

Depends on who moves first, and the quality of those movements.

Seems to me that some people are looking for "The Glow (TM)"

It ain't comin'.

"Hogwash." It's come around plenty of times. It's just that it's getting more and more rare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions