List of sparring-related exercises within taijutsu practice

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DWeidman said:
You can probably take the Kihon Happo and use the "henka" card to attach to practically ANY Martial Arts move...

The question comes down to which of the 9 traditions did the "bridging" come from (and then is *your* version of bridging the historically accurate one?)?

-Daniel Weidman

Do you see Ichimonji in the hip bridge?

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And when does an o-gyaku done with your leg become an omoplata rather than an o-gyaku? :ultracool

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If the other person loses their footing and submits to the shoulder lock before you complete the omoplata sweep.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I think simply sparring and not practicing technique is HIGHLY detrimental to training. under pressure, your only going to remember a limited set of moves, or none at all, and they will never improve.
Not only that, it engrains your bad habits too. I have been taught that Ran Dori and this sort of stress type of training should make up no more than about 3% of your training. Not a hard number but about what we like to keep it to.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the principles for what you do standing up apply to the ground. Your just on a different plane.

When we are training and trying to step it up a notch, if we find openings in the response, we will counter and try to turn the tables on the tori. Not everyone but those who have enough skill and experience to do so with. Often times, it ends up on the ground with each trying to counter the other using taijutsu. I find that it is a good thing to do once in a while as it gives me an idea of the things I have NOT yet made my own. To me it seems that on the ground it is much like having your back against the wall, but the principles are all there, it is still taijutsu.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
When we are training and trying to step it up a notch, if we find openings in the response, we will counter and try to turn the tables on the tori. Not everyone but those who have enough skill and experience to do so with. Often times, it ends up on the ground with each trying to counter the other using taijutsu.

I do that with friends. We don't use class time for that. We might, if we were all a heck of a lot better than we are, but I still kinda doubt it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I do that with friends. We don't use class time for that. We might, if we were all a heck of a lot better than we are, but I still kinda doubt it.
For us, when we do it, it happens more at the end of class. :) Not as the actual lesson and definitely not all the time. However, I would add, it is a very strange sensation when both are using good (used relatively) taijutsu. The best word I can use to describe it is... "slippery", even on the ground. Neither wants to give the other too much data. It is fun though, but can be a sobering experience.

About the only thing that we don't use class time for, is stuff people can do on their own in their time. Things like rolling, exercise, stretching and all that stuff. Although, we do rolling from time to time to show new students, but don't spend alot of time on it.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
About the only thing that we don't use class time for, is stuff people can do on their own in their time. Things like rolling, exercise, stretching and all that stuff. Although, we do rolling from time to time to show new students, but don't spend alot of time on it.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=286399&postcount=15

Also, I think you're making things sound way more simple than they actually are, in terms of grappling.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
Interesting! You have a regular syllabus worked out! Our classes are 3 hours of paired training. So our classes may just start off with "OK attack me!" and we go from there. Then we will also have each person take turns attacking a student, and then after everyone has attacked, then switch out with someone until everyone has been attacked by everyone. Usually it follows the theme of the night. Sometimes we do this each time we change what we are working on.

Nimravus said:
Also, I think you're making things sound way more simple than they actually are, in terms of grappling.
Maybe... But I believe it is true. I am not saying I can do all that stuff, but I can certainly *see* it, making the body do it, is entirely different. That is why we train.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My bad...I can't recall the last time I didn't go to a training session that didn't include at least 10-15 minutes of ukemi practice, but we'll take that elsewhere.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
My bad...I can't recall the last time I didn't go to a training session that didn't include at least 10-15 minutes of ukemi practice, but we'll take that elsewhere.

Dude, it isn't bad... :) I certainly didn't mean anything negative by it.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
One on one submission wrestling with no deliberate striking is probably one of the most physically demanding sparring drills

Now that is interesting. You are very possibly the first person I have ever, and I mean ever, heard saying that with a straight face.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that is interesting. You are very possibly the first person I have ever, and I mean ever, heard saying that with a straight face.

you dug this thread back up just to take a dig. Man now I've seen it all.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
you dug this thread back up just to take a dig. Man now I've seen it all.

I didn't dig it up. Nimvarus linked to it in the other thread, and I commented on the part that stood out most to me. I would be very interested in knowing why in his experiance grappling is more tiring that other components. In my experiance and that of every person I have recalled talking to it has not been. Even the first time I ever did submission grappling, it took me a much longer time to exhaust myself than sparring ever did.

OP
G

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, my experience is the total opposite. Though I'll also freely admit that part of it is self-inflicted, in that I've noticed unexperienced people are more likely to hold their breath while on the ground.

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, my experience is the total opposite. Though I'll also freely admit that part of it is self-inflicted, in that I've noticed unexperienced people are more likely to hold their breath while on the ground.

I hadn't heard that before. That could explain your experiance though.

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Yeah I'll have to agree with Nim on this one...the first time I tried my hand at groundfighting I gassed pretty quick as I held my breath every time I tried to force a move or get out of a certain situation. Its also because as an inexperienced newb up against a seasoned groundfighter, I struggled in places where I didn't need to and kept trying to rush things, when afterwards, I notice my training partner stayed quite calm, waiting for the right moments to move.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree... Wrestling has always been much more physically exhausting to me than any sort of stand-up sparring. It doesn't necessarily leave you gasping for breath the same way -- but when you almost need someone to lift you off the ground afterwards, I've gotta call that pretty exhausting! Stand-up sparring tends to be a heavily aerobic exercise, in my experience; wrestling/grappling tends to be more anearobic. They're too different types of tiring!

Latest Discussions