What would you use in the streets

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure what three you're thinking of, but don't forget the good old head buts and elbows. These can be devastating at close range.

The three illegal techniques I have seen stop the toughest most highly conditioned athletes accustomed to absorbing punishment are the eye poke, groin shot and strike to the back of the head.

Becca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna say that there's really no point in thinking in "What if's" If you're caught in a situation like that (and I have been.) You won't use what you come up with anyway. Once the adrenaline starts pumping you'll revert to what you know best and what you can do on instinct, not what you think is best intellectually.

My advice. Run like hell and use your voice first. There's time for technique later if that doesn't work. In that case basic is best.

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna say that there's really no point in thinking in "What if's" If you're caught in a situation like that (and I have been.) You won't use what you come up with anyway. Once the adrenaline starts pumping you'll revert to what you know best and what you can do on instinct, not what you think is best intellectually.

My advice. Run like hell and use your voice first. There's time for technique later if that doesn't work. In that case basic is best.

Yup, which is why I think it is better to focus on what targets you are gunning for rather than getting hung up on what technique you are going to do. Doesn't matter what you throw/or apply so long as its towards an area that has the highest potential for a knockout.

I think its important to have some form of pressure testing in our training so that we develop an awareness of what we actually revert to.

Running like hell is always a good option and for most self defence laws (not all) we must be seen to be trying to exit the situation as soon as possible. However, running can leave us vulnerable. If the attacker is faster we have just given them our back. If the attacker is posturing and having some doubts over whether they can handle us, running at that point gives them the confidence to pursue us and puts them in fight mode. Sometimes the best form of defence is offence (hence all the talk on pre-emptive striking). Also we might have loved ones so we can't just turn tail and leave in all scenarios.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
As you may see simple and practical things to do, and the fancy things leave them at dojang.

Manny

Exactly.

Sure, the flash is nice and impressive...

... but at the end of the day, in terms of self defense, it's all about what works and what doesn't.

I'm a "Kenpo Man" but even so, I've eliminated a lot of "flash" from my tool box.

Each person chooses the tools for their tool box based in part on personal preference. Me personally, it's all about what's practical, efficient, and effective.

I'm not interested in "looking good"... I'm interested in getting the job done.

As Joe Landsdale says, "Hit hard, hit fast, and head to the house."

The bottom line in terms of self defense is doing whatever it takes to survive and ESCAPE the situation.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Along these same lines are a couple of good, quick easy reads by Peyton Quinn "The bouncer's guide to barrom brawling" and "Real Fighting".

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What really makes a technique practical or no is the ability of the practitioner to know when to use it and to have trained in the technique to a point where they can use it consistently well and deal with adrenal dump.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between what you said here and the portion of my post directly proceeding it:

"The secret, besides being able to deal with the adrenal dump, is having techniques in your arsenal that fit the occasion and knowing them well enough that you know when to use them and how."

It looks like we're pretty much in agreement (although I could just be missing something).

Pax,

Chris

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what the difference is between what you said here and the portion of my post directly proceeding it:

"The secret, besides being able to deal with the adrenal dump, is having techniques in your arsenal that fit the occasion and knowing them well enough that you know when to use them and how."

It looks like we're pretty much in agreement (although I could just be missing something).

Pax,

Chris
No difference at all.:) Just my long winded way of saying I agree.

Daniel

Becca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Along these same lines are a couple of good, quick easy reads by Peyton Quinn "The bouncer's guide to barrom brawling" and "Real Fighting".

I think I've read your articles in totally TKD. I'll look at getting my hands on a copy!

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I could keep the attacker at a decent distance I would use a lot of low kicks. If the attacker got into a close range I would use elbow strikes - a lot of elbow strikes.