What would you use in the streets

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I've been thinking in what kind of tech or techs I would use in a fight against one or two persons on the streets, I am not a bully, I respect other persons and the life of other persons, always behave in a polite way,etc,etc, but you know times are changin very fast in our society.

Training TKD and some other MA has given me some comon sense and yestarday late at night I think abou what if....???

Fisrth of all I would try to use the comon sense and try to avoid the fight politely but if the bad guy atemp to hurt me, I will deliver a flash kick to the legs or testicles followed by an elbow to the head, my main target will be the legs if distance allow me.

If the altercation is so close I will aim to the neck/troat/face area, a chop to the troat, a palm strike to the nose or even eye pocking will be my choice and then finish him with a good blow to the midsection or the head.

Things go wild? and I am been atacked?? deflect the blow and try to catch the limb (foot or hand) and use a bar or lock to take the guy to the ground and finishing there.

If more than one guy, kick like hell the lower limbs or testicles and run.

Yes, these are hipotetical scenarios but think I won't let the guy to come closer and be prepared and fight from long range.

As you may see simple and practical things to do, and the fancy things leave them at dojang.

Manny

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would really depend on how the sitation presented itself.

The kind of openings give, if the assailant(s) were armed or unarmed, what the surrounding were like (i.e., were you inside or outside), etc. will all impact how a scenari plays out. Run away from anyone who tells you there's a one-size fits all answer to self-defense. Taekwon-Do, like many martial arts, has lot and lots of techniques because there are lots and lots of possibilities when a conflict occurs. The problem with relying on gaining proficiency with just a few of them is that then you're going to play probabilities. Is it ikely you'll need a punch more often than a spinning back kick? It would seem so, but when it comes down to a personal level statistics boil down to either "yes" or "no."

I've had to use Taekwon-Do to defend myself twice. Both times I used techniques most "experts" would tell you were impractical. Both times the conflict was over in seconds. The secret, besides being able to deal with the adrenal dump, is having techniques in your arsenal that fit the occasion and knowing them well enough that you know when to use them and how.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had to use Taekwon-Do to defend myself twice. Both times I used techniques most "experts" would tell you were impractical. Both times the conflict was over in seconds. Chris

What tecnikes did you use? tell us something more.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would just go Super Saiyan 4.
icon10.gif

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
True life effective. If they don't grab you:Shin/Knee kicks and palm to the face plus multiple strikes.
Off punches a simple pass block, arm lock and slam on to ground.

If they grab you its a new game. Lots of trap twist and snap ; )

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What tecnikes did you use? tell us something more.

Manny

I don't really like talking about either experience as they really aren't worth discussing, but since you asked:

First time a twimyo tollyo chagi to the mid section of someone who had grabbed me and was pulling me off balance. Bent the person over and I got the hell out of Dodge.

Second time a tollyo chagi to the head. Almost knocked him out and I had enough time to get away.

Pax,

Chris

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I've been thinking in what kind of tech or techs I would use in a fight against one or two persons on the streets, I am not a bully, I respect other persons and the life of other persons, always behave in a polite way,etc,etc, but you know times are changin very fast in our society.

Training TKD and some other MA has given me some comon sense and yestarday late at night I think abou what if....???

Fisrth of all I would try to use the comon sense and try to avoid the fight politely but if the bad guy atemp to hurt me, I will deliver a flash kick to the legs or testicles followed by an elbow to the head, my main target will be the legs if distance allow me.

If the altercation is so close I will aim to the neck/troat/face area, a chop to the troat, a palm strike to the nose or even eye pocking will be my choice and then finish him with a good blow to the midsection or the head.

Things go wild? and I am been atacked?? deflect the blow and try to catch the limb (foot or hand) and use a bar or lock to take the guy to the ground and finishing there.

If more than one guy, kick like hell the lower limbs or testicles and run.

Yes, these are hipotetical scenarios but think I won't let the guy to come closer and be prepared and fight from long range.

As you may see simple and practical things to do, and the fancy things leave them at dojang.

Manny
If you are facing more than one guy, Kicking like hell, is not the safest course of action; when in the streets, use the streets; as in, run like hell, seek cover, or pick up an equalizer. If you do end up on your back surrounded by thugs, by all means... kick like hell.
Sean

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah!!!!! The Mythical Streets!!!!I still think that all great Martial Artist go to the "Streets" when they die!!! A mythical Valhalla were all martial questions are answered!!!!! The main question being "Would that work on the Streets"

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would use everything and anything that I could. It is ape crazy **** and it really works.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to the 2nd amendment, I would use....

:wuguns:

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In a sense I think it is not so much what techniques to use as that may vary dependant on the situation. There are such wide spectrum of scenarios. I think that the most important factor is efficient targeting. The main finishers come from attacking the airway (windpipe, adams apple), the blood supply (carotid artery) and the conciousness (chin, jaw line, temples, base of skull).

I consider any other target as a support system, a way to set up or open up the above primary targets.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I lived in the US, I would be a CCW holder. Makes things easier, probably 9mm Beretta for the sake of conversation. Here in Canada, CCW is not available so I would rely on my TKD training. Assuming I am face to face with an unarmed attacker who is threatening my life, I would be looking for a strong punch to the attacker's throat. Possibly a grab and rip to the adam's apple (if it was a man or tranny). Then eye gouge to make eyeball soup. If the attacker was armed with a knife, I'd **** my pants since I think knives are very dangerous.

In a less than life threatening situation, I would pinch under the arm (bicep) and kick to the jewels or break the baby finger. Or in the best case scenario just leave, walk or run away.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe its important to know which techniques you can do REALLY well, not just to a reasonable level. For this reason I believe the answer would change from person to person. For me, I throw a decent punch, but not a great punch, so I may incorporate a punch but it would be as a part of something else. My sidekick is easily my fastest and most powerful technique, so I think a sidekick to the top of the knee would be a favourite of mine. If someone advanced on me a turning side/back kick would also come in handy. I do a lot of running as part of my training and Id back myself to out run most people over 5 or 6 klms so as soon as the opportunity came to run Id take it. My first priority above all else would be to stay on my feet, I would not want to go to the ground under any circumstances.

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not knowing jack squat about MA's myself and only able to spin around nunchucks ... Guess I would use my Glock! (or sic Lil' Tiger on them) ;) :D

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think others have kind of touched on this, but to me it's more about "what would your philosophy be on the street?" Along those lines I wonder...am I the only one that has ditched the "never throw the first punch" philosophy? I think that old adage goes along with the "never start a fight, but if you have to finish it". I'm really confident in my cool head and my ability to interpret the situation as it's happening and when a fight becomes immanent and just walking away is not a possibility, I don't see the point of letting the bad guy strike first and possibly incapacitating me or landing enough of a blow to basically ensure him the victory.

I read a good article in Black Belt magazine a few months ago that was titled "Get to the hit". Basically the premise was when you are backed into a corner and/or forced into a fight get to your best and most effective technique ASAP. The longer you posture, pose, dance around throwing a jab etc. the more time you give the bad guy to set up and land an effective and/or lucky shot.