groin/testicle kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someting I really like about Kenpo is the low kicks to the groin/testicles area, in other MA like Karate or TKD rarely use the low kicks to this painful area of the human anatomy; I think is because to minimice injuries and because in our socity is not polite to hurt this parts.

As a boy I was taught that the men who crush the others nuts in a fight was a coward, sorry in my ciuntry is this way but the gangs, I mean a gang member uses what ever resourses he has on hand but the correct people never use the groing as a target, simple because we are not used to atack this vulnerable area, even in sport contact martial arts the groing area is a foul or a discualification of the match.

So, since I start in Kenpo I felt a little weird to kick or punch the groin area. However this groin area is ideal to disable or hurt at least an oponente before the finishing blow or blows, because once the groing is kicked the oponent lower his guard leaving us with alot of spots to kick and punch to disable our oponent.

Manny

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not about who can be the nicest when your butt's on the line. On the street, there is no referee and no rules. It's a harsh reality that many can't come to terms with, but it is true.

Self defense is not a competition sport. You don't get a trophy for winning, but you do get to go home and see your family again.

"In the end it matters not who is right, it matters who is left." -SGM Ed Parker

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not about who can be the nicest when your butt's on the line. On the street, there is no referee and no rules. It's a harsh reality that many can't come to terms with, but it is true.

Self defense is not a competition sport. You don't get a trophy for winning, but you do get to go home and see your family again.

"In the end it matters not who is right, it matters who is left." -SGM Ed Parker

Completly agree with you.

Sometime ago I thought it was so nice to kick the head of an BG and get a KO, but this is not easy to do, but it looks terrific don't you think? However this days I will rather prefer see a Scum Bag go to the floor by a well performed kick to the nuts, beside this leaves us with the time to finish (sorry for the harsh word) the Scum Bag or just to leave runing.

Manny

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
The best way to kick a BG in the head is to kick him in the groin so he politely offers it up to be kicked :wink:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I think a kick to the groin is overrated.

I don't believe it always gets the expected reaction, and it can take a while for the full effect to set in. It cannot be relied on to be a fight-stopper.

But it has another very useful effect: a kick to the groin will cause an automatic reaction to stop and pull the hips back and away from the kick, as well as often drop a higher guard down to protect the groin. You can use this strategically.

If someone is charging in at you, fire a kick to the groin. Even if it doesn't land hard enough to be a fight stopper, it will cause the guy to stop his charge as he pulls back his hips. This buys you time.

When he drops his guard to protect his groin, he is open for a decisive shot to the head/neck area.

My instructor was in a tournament many years ago, where he landed a hard kick to the groin of his opponent. They guy got up and wanted to continue the fight. They stopped it when it became apparent that he was really injured. One of his testicles was destroyed. But the thing is, the guy didn't want to stop the fight. Even with that level of damage, it was not a fight-stopper. Never underestimate adrenaline.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a boy I was taught that the men who crush the others nuts in a fight was a coward,
Manny

I got in a fight as a teenager with a Korean guy who new martial arts. He surprised me. (My big mouth got me into a lot of trouble) He came flying at me with a double kick and we were fighting from there. Well he hit me with a good hook and I went down on one knee and he quickly put me in a headlock.

I grabbed and squeezed hit nuts and he not only let go of the headlock. He ran around saying, "he grabbed my nut's, he grabbed my nuts." I said, "no I didn't."

It's funny when I think back about it. Bottom line, do you want to win or lose.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Groin's in even in tournament sparring for us. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
FC this is true, no MAist should rely on any one strike to end a fight. This is why it is important to strike in combinations. Aside from someone on PCP or something like that, a groin kick should set up your finishing strikes fairly well.

In HS, one of my female friends defended herself against a male assailant she kicked to the groin and missed, but it was enough to freak the guy out and he paused and dropped his hands, she used that time to chop him in the neck and ridge-hand his temple, he went down like a ton of bricks.

On the other hand, when I was in Middle School, I landed a clean shot with a front thrust kick to a guys groin, he dropped immediately and passed out from the pain. Apparently, I fractured his pubic bone (found out later).

So, while it can be a fight stopper, it is best used to set up more devastating attacks, like breaking a knee, or turning off their computer. I personally prefer an attacker that can't get back up and hurt you.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a newbie here, so take this for what it is worth...

The style of karate I train in is Isshinryu, and we do not kick above the waistline. That's not to say that some of us can't do it, or that we don't from time to time, but the style itself does not call for any high kicks at all.

We practice groin kicks and defenses against groin kicks.

As it was explained to my by my sensei, our groin kick is indeed a kick to the groin and not a kick to the testicles. In our groin kick, the testicles merely happen to be in the way.

This is actually more than an aphorism. We kick with intent to collapse the pelvic bone. This should be a fight-ender if it does in fact break the pelvic bones. If for no other reason than the person can no longer walk or stand upright - not from pain (although I'm sure there will be lots of that), but also because the bone structure remaining won't support them any longer.

Our groin kick is a 'mae geri' hard snapping kick, applied straight in and up, visualizing a spot just under their obi. We don't apply it full force in sparring, because even if the person was wearing a cup, it could be devastating.

We could also do a 'mae konate' kick, but then it would be directed more towards the front of the pelvic arch and coming up through the dangly bits.

We also believe that men will tend to overprotect in this area. A feint to the groin is effective because it causes an immediate overreaction - no man wants to be kicked in the testicles and I'm told women are none too fond of it either.

And we are told that an ineffective kick to the testicles is a very bad idea. It is more likely to make the person furious and that is not good. Either plant to completely devastate them with your kick, or do not kick them there.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I view the groin kick just like I do any other target. I do not rely on 1 magical hit to finish the fight, but instead a combination of multiple hits to various targets. While the groin kick may not work, the same can be said about other shots as well. However, the one thing that will happen, is that whatever we hit or attempt to hit, we will get a reaction from the other person, and that is what I'm looking for. That split second reaction will buy me enough time to set up other shots.

This reminds me of the Kajukenbo episode on fight quest, when Doug was working with GM Harper and his group. He was working on self defense. The guy showing him one of the techniques made a point of saying, "You do your first hit, which sets up your second hit, which sets up your third hit." :)

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I view the groin kick just like I do any other target. I do not rely on 1 magical hit to finish the fight, but instead a combination of multiple hits to various targets. While the groin kick may not work, the same can be said about other shots as well. However, the one thing that will happen, is that whatever we hit or attempt to hit, we will get a reaction from the other person, and that is what I'm looking for. That split second reaction will buy me enough time to set up other shots.

This reminds me of the Kajukenbo episode on fight quest, when Doug was working with GM Harper and his group. He was working on self defense. The guy showing him one of the techniques made a point of saying, "You do your first hit, which sets up your second hit, which sets up your third hit." :)

Exactly!

It's like physical chess... it pays to be several moves ahead of your opponent, but you must set these moves up.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We also believe that men will tend to overprotect in this area. A feint to the groin is effective because it causes an immediate overreaction - no man wants to be kicked in the testicles and I'm told women are none too fond of it either.
quote]

No, I am NOT fond of being kicked in the testicles! :wink1:

Seriously, though, I've been groin kicked hard enough to lift me off the mat, and it didn't even slow me down. It did make me feel like my relationship with my opponent was moving a bit too fast, and I told her that after the match. :lfao:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

I Totally agree. I teach a double leg takedown where you release the opponent so that you don't go to the ground with him.

What it leaves is him down, your hands are either holding his legs or somewhere near his legs where you can spread his legs easily and a nasty groin strike (stomp) target.

Might not be a finisher, but a great position to be in.
icon10.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people assume karate only uses high kicks, we use low a lot, there is a specific kick for the testicles..Kingeri in fact.
Most men if attacking will be careful to protect their groin, the old adage hit em where it hurts is actually quite difficult to do. However if given an opening you can go for it but as others have said it may not be the strike that finishes the fight.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I think a kick to the groin is overrated.

I don't believe it always gets the expected reaction, and it can take a while for the full effect to set in. It cannot be relied on to be a fight-stopper.

But it has another very useful effect: a kick to the groin will cause an automatic reaction to stop and pull the hips back and away from the kick, as well as often drop a higher guard down to protect the groin. You can use this strategically.

If someone is charging in at you, fire a kick to the groin. Even if it doesn't land hard enough to be a fight stopper, it will cause the guy to stop his charge as he pulls back his hips. This buys you time.

When he drops his guard to protect his groin, he is open for a decisive shot to the head/neck area.

My instructor was in a tournament many years ago, where he landed a hard kick to the groin of his opponent. They guy got up and wanted to continue the fight. They stopped it when it became apparent that he was really injured. One of his testicles was destroyed. But the thing is, the guy didn't want to stop the fight. Even with that level of damage, it was not a fight-stopper. Never underestimate adrenaline.

I could not agree more sir.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a groin/testicle kick will not afect the person who is reciving it I think most MA practiciones and alot of of street gangs, will not use it and this is false.

I've been kicked in the nuts sometimes (mistake in sparring) and believe me it hurts, there was a time I got a flashy kick in the tip of my penis, it was like snap, just a snap the the pain got my from the tip of the penis upwards to the ureta and then to the kidney, it was son painful that droped me in tears and needed more than 10 minutes to recover, and believe me it was just a snap kick. I reacall high school playing very harsh soccer game were we allowed kicks (yes I know very stupid but we were young and stupid kids), I was kicked several times in the shins till I grabed from behind my ofender and landed a very strong kick to his nuts from behind, I felt how my shinbone smashed his nuts, yeap it was pretty nasty, my oponent felt down in tears and trying to breath, he need it a lot time to recover.

For me the low kick to the nuts is very efective, as a stoper or in the worst of the cases as an openinmg for a finishing blow, besides Kenpo uses a lot of kicks to the groin and I believe is for something.

Manny

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what they're trying to say is don't put all your eggs in one basket.

It is a flawed strategy that assumes a single kick to an attacker's groin will ensure victory. Sure, in most cases you will get the expected reaction as described above: head & hands drop, hips pulled back, as well as other common reactions but always plan follow ups for the kick....

Actually, one should never assume any one maneuver will ensure success. It's important to train combonations and take into consideration various possible "what if" scenarios in order to better your odds.

Remember, always hit them at least 3 times, 3 times, 3 times. If you just kicked 'em in the groin, then you still got two more shots you gotta make. LOL

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think what they're trying to say is don't put all your eggs in one basket.

It is a flawed strategy that assumes a single kick to an attacker's groin will ensure victory. Sure, in most cases you will get the expected reaction as described above: head & hands drop, hips pulled back, as well as other common reactions but always plan follow ups for the kick....

Actually, one should never assume any one maneuver will ensure success. It's important to train combonations and take into consideration various possible "what if" scenarios in order to better your odds.

Remember, always hit them at least 3 times, 3 times, 3 times. If you just kicked 'em in the groin, then you still got two more shots you gotta make. LOL

when i practice kicks, i do a set of 30 of each on both sides, targets are :
groin, and knee caps.
I then stretch and hold each stretch for at least 35 seconds.
I then practice 75 of every kick i know, alternating each leg, to midsection, ribs,throat, face/head.
I would definently practice all kicks to every target, and the whole, "Chop the tree you can hit its head" technique works great as well!

Latest Discussions