groin/testicle kicks

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someting I really like about Kenpo is the low kicks to the groin/testicles area, in other MA like Karate or TKD rarely use the low kicks to this painful area of the human anatomy; I think is because to minimice injuries and because in our socity is not polite to hurt this parts.

As a boy I was taught that the men who crush the others nuts in a fight was a coward, sorry in my ciuntry is this way but the gangs, I mean a gang member uses what ever resourses he has on hand but the correct people never use the groing as a target, simple because we are not used to atack this vulnerable area, even in sport contact martial arts the groing area is a foul or a discualification of the match.

So, since I start in Kenpo I felt a little weird to kick or punch the groin area. However this groin area is ideal to disable or hurt at least an oponente before the finishing blow or blows, because once the groing is kicked the oponent lower his guard leaving us with alot of spots to kick and punch to disable our oponent.

Manny

I look at it this way: There's no honor to be had in a fight. None. I look to avoid fights, and if I'm in a fight, it's either because I was not consulted in the manor (a.k.a. "mugged") or every attempt at de-escalation failed, either on my part or his.

Even looking to avoid fights if at all possible is seen as cowardly to many people. Frankly I don't care what other people think is cowardly. I'm not looking to win a fight. I'm looking to survive a situation in a manner that is as beneficial to everyone involved.

A guy can often walk off a groin attack. It's much harder to walk off a broken leg. If I can end a fight using just pain, rather than really injuring someone, I'm going for that option.

Honor is found in what you do when you're not fighting.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a groin/testicle kick will not afect the person who is reciving it I think most MA practiciones and alot of of street gangs, will not use it and this is false.

I've been kicked in the nuts sometimes (mistake in sparring) and believe me it hurts, there was a time I got a flashy kick in the tip of my penis, it was like snap, just a snap the the pain got my from the tip of the penis upwards to the ureta and then to the kidney, it was son painful that droped me in tears and needed more than 10 minutes to recover, and believe me it was just a snap kick. I reacall high school playing very harsh soccer game were we allowed kicks (yes I know very stupid but we were young and stupid kids), I was kicked several times in the shins till I grabed from behind my ofender and landed a very strong kick to his nuts from behind, I felt how my shinbone smashed his nuts, yeap it was pretty nasty, my oponent felt down in tears and trying to breath, he need it a lot time to recover.

For me the low kick to the nuts is very efective, as a stoper or in the worst of the cases as an openinmg for a finishing blow, besides Kenpo uses a lot of kicks to the groin and I believe is for something.

Manny

My best advice is to wear a groin protector.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Because an adrenaline dump can, at least temporarily, hide some of the pain of a groin kick-I prefer a kick to the knee.

Even a guy on PCP has a hard time getting to you when they cannot walk..

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because an adrenaline dump can, at least temporarily, hide some of the pain of a groin kick-I prefer a kick to the knee.

Totally agree. The response must fit the situation. If I can tell or at least reasonable suspect that a guy if on drugs or beserker rage, I injure rather than use pain-compliance techniques.

But all things being equal, if there's an option for pain-compliance, I'll choose pain-compliance. Some great friends I have are from me showing restraint in a fight. I always look for the peaceful option, if there is one.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score

i concur with that quote!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must feel good to be nice to your attacker. If your "thinking" (about how/where to strike) your not "doing."

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do I really need to justify having a continuum of force?

Yeah, it does feel good for an attacker to leave as a friend, rather than in a hospital car. Yes I have personally been in this situation, and yes, I could have put the guy on the ground. But I didn't have to to survive.

I'm all for putting a guy in the hospital or even 6 feet underground. If the situation calls for it. But is it okay to do that when the situation doesn't need it?

Absolutely not.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I view the groin kick just like I do any other target. I do not rely on 1 magical hit to finish the fight, but instead a combination of multiple hits to various targets. While the groin kick may not work, the same can be said about other shots as well. However, the one thing that will happen, is that whatever we hit or attempt to hit, we will get a reaction from the other person, and that is what I'm looking for. That split second reaction will buy me enough time to set up other shots.

This reminds me of the Kajukenbo episode on fight quest, when Doug was working with GM Harper and his group. He was working on self defense. The guy showing him one of the techniques made a point of saying, "You do your first hit, which sets up your second hit, which sets up your third hit." :)
GM Harper is my instructor and he is great!

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I look at it this way: There's no honor to be had in a fight. None. I look to avoid fights, and if I'm in a fight, it's either because I was not consulted in the manor (a.k.a. "mugged") or every attempt at de-escalation failed, either on my part or his.

Even looking to avoid fights if at all possible is seen as cowardly to many people. Frankly I don't care what other people think is cowardly. I'm not looking to win a fight. I'm looking to survive a situation in a manner that is as beneficial to everyone involved.

A guy can often walk off a groin attack. It's much harder to walk off a broken leg. If I can end a fight using just pain, rather than really injuring someone, I'm going for that option.

Honor is found in what you do when you're not fighting.

Thank you very much for your contribution to this post, I am not a trouble maker too so I avoid most of the time altercations or fights with strangers, and don't feel myself as a coward, the cemetery is full of brave people. I you fight there is a chance you will be killed or maimed so I try to avoid fights, I would rather back off and leave the place than to be MACHO and fight just because of this, people these days carries a knife or a gun and this could be a nasty thing to fight for.

I love MA and love to practice them but I never felt I was a superman for this.

Manny

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It must feel good to be nice to your attacker. If your "thinking" (about how/where to strike) your not "doing."

The "Force Continuum" is something I am familiar with having a background in L.E. and while every encounter includes a firearm (my own) there is still "reasonable and prudent" use of force...

Thinking BEFORE doing is an attractive and necessary option!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "Force Continuum" is something I am familiar with having a background in L.E. and while every encounter includes a firearm (my own) there is still "reasonable and prudent" use of force...

Taking time to do things right does make you faster over all.
Sean

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thats your job and although it "can" be the same, it is not the same because you are held accountable for your actions to the public (especially these days), as a public servant.

"Doing without thinking" is a level achieved in training. Ignoring it in a real situation can be a matter of life or death. To think anyone can pick and choose targets while someone has weapons or even just there hands and feet is ignorance on the part of the martial art practioner because he's carrying a "false security."

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dicy subject, and I repeat as in other threads, after years of experience, there are those of us who don't hurt that much down there as men because of conditioning or of an inborn genetic high pain threshold, same must be true with women.
multiple strikes and follow up to a knock out blow is the fight ender, not one low strike......

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Groin shots are definitely some thing we do in IRT. Like Bill explained about Isshinryu in IRT you never have to kick above the waist unless you really want to. However, one should not rely on a groin shot as an immediate fight stopper just like you should not rely on any single technique as a fight stopper until obviously it actually does stop the fight. Not everyone will react the same to a groin shot. Some will go down, some might cringe but others well they might just get more pissed off. So have multiple strikes a flying and make it very hard for them to continue on after the flurry!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A groin shot may not always stop a fight but I'm willing to bet if you do it twice that the second time the other guys /gals hands will come down to protect themselves and open the upper body up for attack.
Personally I think the groin shot should be taught and practiced (with control) in any Ma school

Latest Discussions