it wasn't TKD... it wasn't Kenpo......

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lastnight at the end of the Kenpo Class sensei asked who wanted to do SD aplications, I yelled I DO loud and clear so I was the first to do it.

The scenario was one BG towards me and the other BG graving me form behind, sensei tell to to do two kenpo techs... I was so nervous that I herd the techs but didin't got them so sensei launched his atack fast, I block the punch kiked in the groing and finished him with a hand chop to the neck, sudenly the sensei instructor grebed my shoulder from behind and quicly gave him an elbow/arm lock and was to finish him with a troat blow when sensei yelled STOOOPPPP!!!! I think he thougt I wasn't in control and could harm the instructor as my armlock was rough.

I apologice and told sensei I was in complete control, that the atacks was so fast that I could not think and just reacted defendending myself and I was sorry for not aaly the techs he comand me.

Sensei told me it was very fine, and theats- the way is it, offcourse he would like to me to react with the kenpo techs he specified but in the streets there is no time to think about what tech we have to do.

Manny- he told me- I thougth you were going to smash Hugo´s troat cause you were so damn good with the arm block that I really see intention to broke his arm.... Nop sensei -I told heim- I was on complete control, yes my techs are a little rude but I was on complete control.

In the end I saw I did not use kenpo techs,or TKD techs either I just react with techs I learn from both MA.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is great Manny. As you have seen SD is just SD. There is no TKD, Kenpo, Kung-Fu, or anyother MA for that matter. It will all look the same when done in the street and for real. SD is taking what come natural and being able to apply it without thinking. Good for you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SD is about SD principle it is a re-act act way of life, good Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love when that happens. That's the pure martial arts without all the politics, posturing and rigamarole. It's not the domain of any one style but accessible by all.

Peace,
Erik

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
true self defense is neither this or that. it is your body reacting to a situation in a way that you have trained it and you feel most comfortable. Practice of specific techniques helps to reinforce your knowledge base. Not that you were wrong in your defense, there is no wrong defense, your instructor could have been wanting you to try to practice NEW techniques to add them to your arsenal of defense. Be aware that you can practice a technique a million times but when the real deal happens.... all bets are off. You really have no idea how your body will react when faced in a dangerous situation. But to continue to practice different techniques, you will become more efficient in your reaction.

You did the right thing, and you saw first hand that no style prevails... only YOUR own reaction and what you are comfortable with. Good luck and keep an open mind to practice any and everything. The only wrong self defense is the one that doesn't work... FOR YOU.

ALSO remember, until faced in a "REAL" situation, you really never know how you will react...and it will be different each time. stay safe.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are all right. There is no Karate is best than TKD or Kung Fu better than Judo no sir, what matters is what one can learn and to apply in his/her MA, that´s why is so important to have SD inside the dojang/dojo in a regular basis just to make some muscle memory and don´t forget how to react in harsh circumstances.

The TKD I´ve been learning all those years plus my reseraches SD have paid in some way, and no, I´am superman, or bullet proof or Bruce Lee no sir but in my Kenpo Class I´am miles away from the other beginer students.

One thing we must do is to always be alert of our sorrundings, avoid bad places and have comon sense, in a fight there is the chance to be hurt, so we must be prepared top counter.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW it was cool to see that I have learn something all these years, last night I came home my pride and yes with a little rush of adrenalin.

Some days ago my oldest daughter (12) ask me to teach her some self defense aplications, I told her I would rather prefer to take her into some MA class cause I don't have the time to instruct her and maybe only on saturdays can teach her but I don't have the place to do it, my apartament is not big enough to set a working out area.

Manny

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lastnight at the end of the Kenpo Class sensei asked who wanted to do SD aplications, I yelled I DO loud and clear so I was the first to do it.

The scenario was one BG towards me and the other BG graving me form behind, sensei tell to to do two kenpo techs... I was so nervous that I herd the techs but didin't got them so sensei launched his atack fast, I block the punch kiked in the groing and finished him with a hand chop to the neck, sudenly the sensei instructor grebed my shoulder from behind and quicly gave him an elbow/arm lock and was to finish him with a troat blow when sensei yelled STOOOPPPP!!!! I think he thougt I wasn't in control and could harm the instructor as my armlock was rough.

I apologice and told sensei I was in complete control, that the atacks was so fast that I could not think and just reacted defendending myself and I was sorry for not aaly the techs he comand me.

Sensei told me it was very fine, and theats- the way is it, offcourse he would like to me to react with the kenpo techs he specified but in the streets there is no time to think about what tech we have to do.

Manny- he told me- I thougth you were going to smash Hugo´s troat cause you were so damn good with the arm block that I really see intention to broke his arm.... Nop sensei -I told heim- I was on complete control, yes my techs are a little rude but I was on complete control.

In the end I saw I did not use kenpo techs,or TKD techs either I just react with techs I learn from both MA.

Manny

Are you sure?

The ultimate aim in Kenpo is to become spontaneous in our reactions, executing and applying the principles behind what makes one's maneuvers effective without concious thought.

Seems from your post that you're tailoring your martial arts experiences into a uniquely individual style all your own. That's the way it should be. :)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the only thing I was for sure was that I had control of the situation and could defend myself, the things happened so damn quick that maybe I was a little rude but efective.

Over the past 30 days in kenpo I have realice that I have some good moves (blocks,punches,kicks,elbows,etc.) but maybe they were hidden and slowly the kenpo practice has loose me a bit, my body starts to flow slowly but constant.

And yes, when I start kenpo my sensei told me my Kenpo will be diferent from his Kenpo cause I will learn to taylor a nice suite to fit me and fullfill my needs.

Manny

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
ummm.... thats any MA.

I'd agree that many MAs attempt to achieve that level, but not all. And even many that do fail to apply the proper focus within their curriculum and training necessary to achieve that level.

..perhaps a topic for another thread. :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd agree that many mas attempt to achieve that level, but not all. And even many that do fail to apply the proper focus within their curriculum and training necessary to achieve that level.

..perhaps a topic for another thread. :)

agreed.

Latest Discussions