What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
So when do you get another green block? At how many points? My saying is that I will be famous soon enough, but I saw someone (I think it was Chronuss) who had the same saying but he had two green blocks. I saw the chart for when the sayings change somewhere, but not when the blocks get added. Just curious.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
am thinking you get another block for every 100 rep points?

Xequat said:
So when do you get another green block? At how many points? My saying is that I will be famous soon enough, but I saw someone (I think it was Chronuss) who had the same saying but he had two green blocks. I saw the chart for when the sayings change somewhere, but not when the blocks get added. Just curious.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
User Absolutely Totally Hopeless -1,000,000
User Totally Hopeless -99,999
User is definately Hopeless. -500
User is starting to seem Hopeless. -300
User is most definately Lame! -200
User is bordering on Lame -100
User can only hope to improve -50

User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0
User is on a distinguished road 10
User will become famous soon enough 50
User has a spectacular aura about 150
User is a jewel in the rough 250
User is just really nice 350
User is a glorious beacon of light 450
User is a name known to all 550
User is a splendid one to behold 650
User has much to be proud of 1000
User has a brilliant future 1500
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, OK. Thanks Sarah...I'll let you know when I make it to 100 points and then we'll know for sure. I have 77 now.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh I can help here!!! I JUST made over 100 points and I just got my 2nd green block!!! Sweet!!!:partyon:

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how difficult it would be to program...but since you have to spread reputation around and personally I never remember to whom or when I have last given it, it would be nice where we can see latest rep recieved in the User CP to also see latest Rep given, maybe like the date and to who you gave it...just a thought....

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Sarah said:
User Absolutely Totally Hopeless -1,000,000
User Totally Hopeless -99,999

I just want to know if anyone's made it to this range. Hehe.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
I don't know how difficult it would be to program...but since you have to spread reputation around and personally I never remember to whom or when I have last given it, it would be nice where we can see latest rep recieved in the User CP to also see latest Rep given, maybe like the date and to who you gave it...just a thought....
Seeing what you got is there...I think it lists last 10 or 20, in order.

Theres a hack floating around to allow you to see who you gave it to as well, but there were some bugs in it last time I looked. I'll try and remember to check again next time I'm over at vb.org. :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
I just want to know if anyone's made it to this range. Hehe.
Yes.
Check the members list....there were a few now-banned individuals who hit the limit.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I discovered this earlier today ... if you place a user on your Ignore List (click on the user in the Members List area), the Reputation points disappear.

So, if you are really maniacal, like me, you can click through the users to see who is giving you reputation points and not leaving their name.

:)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
So, I discovered this earlier today ... if you place a user on your Ignore List (click on the user in the Members List area), the Reputation points disappear.

So, if you are really maniacal, like me, you can click through the users to see who is giving you reputation points and not leaving their name.

:)
that would take like, forever and a half.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Samantha said:
that would take like, forever and a half.
Yeah, but usually, you have a good idea where to start. Some folks just like to pile on ... if there is someone they don't like, they just keep on zingin' the red dots.

Set them to 'Ignore', and many of the little red dots go away.

I kinda like my current solution .... just hide the rep points. Although occassionally I'll flip it back on to see what people may be saying; but only for a moment.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the positive ones I have are signed. (Some with initials that are ambiguous, I'm afraid!) Some are surely being friendly; some probably do it from habit, or principle; and some, I'd guess, are looking for "love you back" rep. points.

The negative ones I've had are usually not signed, including one showing now. Grey ones are 50-50, as might be expected.

But this is how it's meant to work, isn't it? You could always post a reply, or PM a private one...this is a third pathway, for brief and anonymous thumbs up/thumbs down feedback. I don't think that that's important or necessary, and rep. (as karma) has caused lots of trouble on other boards, but as long as it's here, it seems to me that that is the intended use of the system. So, fine by me. I like to think my posts speak for themselves. Sometimes they speak poorly, sometimes well. It happens.

Does anyone use the rep. number for anything? Do any new users find it helpful? It seems that some people are very attached to something of very little value.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The negative ones I've had are usually not signed,
LOL, yup.

First Negative one I got that was signed I went and gave the guy that did it positive points for showing his face ;)

Latest Discussions