What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
ummm....

I got nothing, just saw the opportunity for #100 and took it :D
hahahahha, thats funny - when I went to my CP to look at my subscribed threads, it said, "replies - 100" I was like, damn it, I could have been 100.

why are we weird like that?

as for the "first time I got neg points with a signature I gave him positive points"

hahaha, thats funny

reminds me of how of all the stuff bugs bunny did to elmer fudd - dropping anvils on his head, blowing him up - the thing that made him the most angry was when bugs bunny kissed him.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Most of the positive ones I have are signed. (Some with initials that are ambiguous, I'm afraid!) Some are surely being friendly; some probably do it from habit, or principle; and some, I'd guess, are looking for "love you back" rep. points.

Those would be fairly valuable, if I understand how the system works. I'm guessing your . . . impact . . . is the largest of any member. :jedi1:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Arni should diet a bit then.... LOL!

Seriously, you're right. His high post count, plus how long he's been here (signed up in 2001) give a generous amount of weight. I'm probably within a point or 2 of him on impact, then theres a noticable gap before you hit the next levels.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I could dial it up or down, I would. I'd almost always rather give a one point ding (when I do ding) just to make the point of disapproval, than whatever I am dinging now.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In response to a question about what determines how many reputation points a user can give:

Kaith Rustaz said:
Time on board + post count + current reputation

Interesting. I didn't realize there were multiple factors. I assume the more you have of each quantity, the more points you can give/take. But are they weighted equally? I suppose if you'd prefer to keep it secret, you don't have to answer. I'm just curious. Current reputation could be anything, depending on who's seeing your posts and deciding to give/take points. But time on board and post count don't necessarily increase at the same rate. You can have long time members with relatively low post totals and fairly new members with relatively high post totals.

Like arnisador said, it might be nice to have an option for selecting the number of points you give/take, up to the maximum the basic forumla above results in. Maybe it's not a standard board option for simplicity, but it could be useful to be able to vary the amount of points you give/take.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tadaa!

Kaith Rustaz said:
It varys depending on a number of things.

Default reputation is 10.

You gain 1 point of rep-altering power:
- per year of membership.
- per 1,000 posts
- per 100 reputation points you yourself have

You must have 50 posts b4 you can influence others reps

You must have at least 10 rep points b4 you can influence others.

You may only influence 10 people per 24 hr period

You have to influence 10 people b4 you can hit someone again.

Hope that makes sence. :)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah. That must have been somewhere earlier in the thread and I forgot about it. :) Hmm. OK. That means the formula for calculating how many rep. points you give/take is:

10 + (# years on the board) + (# posts)/1000 + (# rep points)/100

Right? Possibly rounded, possibly truncated. The other points are rules about when and how often you can influence someone's reputation. Does the last rule mean that in order to influence the same person more than twice, you have to influence at least 10 people in between the first and second give/take?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So how come the heavy weights with a bazillion rep points have some dark green and some light green?

(I read through this entire thing and didn't see it asked before).

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dark green represent 100 pts. for each square and the light green = 200 ea. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Dark green represent 100 pts. for each square and the light green = 200 ea. TW
Thank you for the quick response. I never could figure that out.

[makes mental note to walk VERY gingerly around those with bazillion rep points...]

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Thank you for the quick response. I never could figure that out.

[makes mental note to walk VERY gingerly around those with bazillion rep points...]

It doesn't even take gingerly steps for some people to whack you. So I turned mine off. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
It doesn't even take gingerly steps for some people to whack you. So I turned mine off. TW
I've noticed that from some of the posts previously in this thread, but I like to use it as an indictor make sure I'm behaving myself. Ya know, not always agreeing but even disagreeing in a respectful manner. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. Don't know.

Again, didn't see anything on it, but does being disabled mean you can't give/receive or you can but you just can't see it. (Not trying to be a pain)

Thanks,

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
It's unfortunate that I am not able to send a "light" reminder. I often wish I could set the dial to somewhere other than 11, without having to not use the system at all. In fact, it cuts both ways...I often give encouraging rep. points to new users, and don't necessarily want to give them a huge bump all at once.

But, it's implemented the way it is by vBulletin, so that's that!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all a pain.. Just means others can't see it. I can still give and receive.
TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Not at all a pain.. Just means others can't see it. I can still give and receive.
TW
I appreciate the info. Thanks,

Arnisador. i know what you mean. Everything in a feel swoop either way. I'm really not that worried about it though............sir.......:p