What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you scroll back a bit, you'll see the list. Most are the defaults that came with the software, but we add a few on occation as well :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MGM said:
Another question or two….

What are the fortune cookie saying you get when you mouse over someone’s "rep box" i.e. …will be famous…..is on a distinguished road?
Who gives those out?

Where is that? I don't see a "rep box"...the only thing I see are the icons to leave rep or report a bad post.

K

KenpoGirl

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Where is that? I don't see a "rep box"...the only thing I see are the icons to leave rep or report a bad post.
point your mouse at the little green square in the top right of any post. Just below where you click to give someone a rep point. It will tell you what that person's rep discription is.

Dot
:asian:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoGirl said:
point your mouse at the little green square in the top right of any post. Just below where you click to give someone a rep point. It will tell you what that person's rep discription is.

Dot
:asian:

Oh THOSE things. (duh!) I just thought they showed positive or negative rep...sometimes the obvious escapes me. *sigh*

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, click on USER CP button at the top, and you can see what has been sent to you. :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Also, click on USER CP button at the top, and you can see what has been sent to you. :)

Actually, THAT I managed to find! LOL! Go figure....

(Fun system. :) )

M

marshallbd

KenpoTess said:
The purple/ grayish 'dot' just means the giver of reputation doesn't have enough reputation points for it to show up green. May be a 'newbie' to the board :)
where do you even go to see them?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upper right hand corner next to Posts.. is a green or more 'dots', if you hover your mouse over them you can see what it says either to the upper left of your browser or directly below your mouse. If they are red or brownish then those are negative reputation points. The more there are of green the better rep one has. If you go to User CP in the upper left corner of Martial Talk, scroll down and you can view more there.
Hope this helps Beau :)

~Tess

M

marshallbd

KenpoTess said:
Upper right hand corner next to Posts.. is a green or more 'dots', if you hover your mouse over them you can see what it says either to the upper left of your browser or directly below your mouse. If they are red or brownish then those are negative reputation points. The more there are of green the better rep one has. If you go to User CP in the upper left corner of Martial Talk, scroll down and you can view more there.
Hope this helps Beau :)

~Tess
It does....Now how do you give points to someone? say I want to give positive points for helpful, informative posts...? :asian:

M

marshallbd

marshallbd said:
It does....Now how do you give points to someone? say I want to give positive points for helpful, informative posts...? :asian:
Never mind...I think I got it figured out! Is there a way to force someone to leave a reason for a negative comment? I got one and don't know what for....

By the way, Thanks for the help Tess! :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are the requirements again about being able to give rep points? What I understand is: You have to have 10 rep points (base when you join) and need 50 posts to give out - one good rep point-- in a 24 hr day? or is the only one you get and its gone? for how long-when do get another?

Or do you have to have membership for a year, 100 rep points, 1000 posts.? Or do you get an additional one if you have 1 yr. mem, one more for 100 good rep pts., one more for 1000 posts. So if you have all these base requirements, you could have four points. Do these four points renew each day or after you give them they are gone?

Or you get a base one, after 50 posts, others add or subtract so you give away your own? I would be pennilesss soon then.

Also, what again is the requirements for bad rep - not that I want to give any. Giving bad points is too easy to rag on other people just because they differ in opinion or are misunderstood. Too much testosterone around here.
Kempoka has a definite point about the humility post.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have positive rep you can give points.
Zero or negative you can make comments, but the points you give don't count.

Everyone started with 10 rep points.

For every 365 days you've been a member, you gain 1 point of rep-altering ability
For every 1,000 posts you have made, you gain 1 point of rep-altering.
For every 100 rep-points, you gain 1 point of rep-altering.

You must have made at least 50 posts before your rep comments count against another. (If you have less than 50, you can still comment, but the +/- doesn't count)

You have to have 10 rep points (1 green box) or greater for your comments to count.

You can give 10 times a day, and can only hit the same person 1 outta 10 times.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
If that person's rep. later becomes positive, do their points start to count? That is, is it by current. rep. or is it by rep. at the time of giving the points?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Is that why some of the comments on my reputation points have a little gray or black box next to them instead of a green or red one?

7sm

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Is that why some of the comments on my reputation points have a little gray or black box next to them instead of a green or red one?

7sm
Red is Negative
Green is Positive
Grey/Black/Purple (its all the same color, but your monitor is seeing it differently) - Person didn't have enough 'influence' to add/subtract points. They can comment but not effect you.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If that person's rep. later becomes positive, do their points start to count? That is, is it by current. rep. or is it by rep. at the time of giving the points?
Their new ones do, the old ones don't change.