What are Reputation Points and how do you get them?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw one today that is not on the list. It said, "The user is most deffinatly lame". I believe it was two red dots.

7sm

S

ShaolinWolf

Geee...I wonder who that was?!...lol...And just to let you know, reputation has nothing to do with it...It was just I got into a few little arguements that nobody liked my answers and I kind of a bad rep...LOL...other than that, I've been pretty decent...It was only the first week or so I was here...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I updated the list.
We're -slowly- playing with things....most of those are the defaults..I hope to find a way to tie it into the martial art theme.

heh....

-500 McDojo Graduate
-1,000 Yellow Belt in personal hygene
-2,000 Has trouble hitting the floor.
-3,000 Black Belt $10, Certificate $5, total spent on lessons $0, look on face when *** is kicked by jr. black belt - Priceless.

:)
Am open to ideas. :)

A

Andi

Kaith Rustaz said:
Click on the "Give Rep" Icon on one of your posts. It'll show you your score (I think) :)
Oh hey that's good. I've just found the "Latest Reputation Received" breakdown when you click on your User Control Panel. Has that gone up just recently or have I just not explored this new interface enough? Very impressed with all the new funky bits though, I've been having a look round. You can spend ages on here and just not notice loads of stuff!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I saw one today that is not on the list. It said, "The user is most deffinatly lame". I believe it was two red dots.

It's weird I tell you just plain 'ole weird. I very rarely post on MT anymore and have received negative feedback :idunno: on some stuff I posted. Weird. %-}

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
It's weird I tell you just plain 'ole weird. I very rarely post on MT anymore and have received negative feedback :idunno: on some stuff I posted. Weird. %-}
Oh, don't let it get you down, some people are just crabby.

7sm

S

sma_book

Do the reputation points expire.

There were nine or ten comments listed under 'UserCP' earlier, now there are only three.

Just curious.

****EDIT ****
Never mind ... I was logged in as my wife again. Duh!!!
* * * * End of Edit * * * *

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Oh, don't let it get you down, some people are just crabby.

Apparently! :idunno:

I don't let it bother me 'cause I don't much care however I just looked after about another month someone left me another negative rep. point. :rolleyes: Can I get mine turned off? :uhyeah:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont know....the implication of these "rep. points" is that members of this board will judge the validity of a posters opinion by them.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not (at this time) individually selectable.

A few negatives aren't anything to worry about. A bazillion on the other hand.... :)

Folks in the negatives can ding ya but their dings are worth 0 points. To count, you have to have a positive (thats green) rep.

Now, if you want to worry....wait until ya got like 10 red dots... :rofl: :D

K

Kenpo Yahoo

I think the reputation points are fine, but I don't think that people with more posts should be able to influence your rep. more. I got two negative Post comments and my rep goes from 8 to -32. Also, the rep comments don't leave a name for who gave you the negative comment so alot of people have been saying some pretty bad things. Things that are far worse than what initially prompted the negative rep.

-Not only are you rude, you're an idiot
-For being an insulting ***
-annonypuss
-He's a dickhead

Not that I really give a crap, but it is somewhat hypocritical to rail someone for being rude only to leave messages like this. My particular art isn't exactly mainstream and has actually caused quite a bit of controversy. So instead of debating arguments on merit people just ding you because you don't agree. Also this particular media format lends itself to alot of misunderstandings which is where one or two of my negative rep. posts came from. Oh well what do I know, I guess making thousands and thousands of posts qualifies someone to judge the content of someone else's posts.

GREAT FEATURE!!!! :btg:

K

Kenpo Yahoo

Thanks guys for helping me out. I got 3 good rep. reports so now I'm back to -27. Ha ha. I guess it's not really that big a deal, but I just thought that I would point out a minor problem with this particular feature.

It should also be noted that I was given 2 BAD rep reports and went down some 40 points, but received 3 GOOD reports and went up 5 points. Something about that just doesn't seem right. Oh well. Thanks again.

M

MGM

OK I read this thread but I still don't completely get it.

Any one can give/take away points?
You don't get to see who did it?
Is it really expected that it be done?

Thanks for any one who will help clear this up for me.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MGM said:
OK I read this thread but I still don't completely get it.

Any one can give/take away points?
You don't get to see who did it?
Is it really expected that it be done?

Thanks for any one who will help clear this up for me.
Yes
Only Admins can see who said what.
Nope, not expected at all. Most folks use it for fun.

:)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the first forum where I have seen the rep system, pretty sweet invention. It puts spammers and trolls in their place while giving props to members who give to the site. I must say that this is a great message forum! :ultracool

M

MGM

Another question or two….

What are the fortune cookie saying you get when you mouse over someone’s "rep box" i.e. …will be famous…..is on a distinguished road?
Who gives those out?