UFC 193

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe not so much a fix, as a combination of some overconfidence, some distraction with all the irons she's had in the fire, some ego (gotta prove she's got the stand-up game she's claimed), some convenient break in her fight career) ... and a nice helping of Dana White gets a win-win...
\
So true. These MMA champions have muti-faceted responsibilities. They don't really get paid well until they make it to the top of the mountain... and the promotional pressures are intense....

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
\
Holm didn't get away unscathed. Nevertheless, Honda really took a beating as well as experiencing a shutdown of her grappling tactics... IMO, Honda lost by end of Round 1. Round 2 was merely the finish of a defeated opponent....
I agree. I'm curious about your reply of Holmes not getting away unscathed; I certainly didn't imply this. Random question but why are you spelling Ronda as Honda?

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it very odd that with all her years in MMA, and her ability to train with the best in the business, that Rousey throws almost no kicks. Was her intention to just use boxing and Judo for her striking/standup?

Holes comes from a boxing background, and she developed some very good kicking ability (thanks to Jackson and Winklejohn), so what's the deal?
\
Woah.... ya'alll told me a jillion times that grappling is nearly impossible for a striker to stop.... Come on....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I'm curious about your reply of Holmes not getting away unscathed; I certainly didn't imply this. Random question but why are you spelling Ronda as Honda?
\
We agreed. What's the issue? Honda's a nickname fans have given her....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You ever seen her throw more than a knee?

'Nuthin; odd about that-it's a skillset she's not comfortable with, or she doesn't feel she needs for MMA....not like it would have made any difference here....
\
Grappling can defeat a striker. Problem was Honda's Judo game has transitioned away from the mental discipline I have talked about. HOnda was very undisciplined mentally in the Holm fight.... and many MMA commenters have technically analyzed her mistakes grappling.
\
Relying on physical strength & aggression appears all the time in competition Judo - however such is contrary to traditional Judo's emphasis on a yielding philosophy and using the opponent's actions & strength against them. Ronda scored a zero (@ best) against Holm re the manner in which traditional Judo is to be performed....
\
HOnda, in essense Judo-wise, defeated herself....:arghh::arghh::arghh:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was surprise to see Rousey with such bad foot work. It was more unstable than I thought it would be, so I went to see what type of foot work training she did. Now I understand why her footwork is bad. None of that footwork training she was doing in the video translates into the footwork that is done when fighting.
\
What's your opinion on Rousey's striking training regimen...???? Not just footwork....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking doesn't really fit into what has been Rousey's gameplan so far, which is to bull-rush her opponent in order to get the clinch.
\
Tony, I can finally affirm your grappling position...
A lot of that was Holm making her look bad. Against a lesser opponent it wouldn't have shown up nearly so much. Fighting someone with really good evasive footwork is frustrating. Doing so while getting repeatedly punched hard in the face is extremely frustrating. That sort of thing really exposes any gaps in your training.
\
So Tony, tell how us to fight against really, good evasive footwork. Your thoughts...:artist:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think by the end of that fight, Ronda had made it all the way back to White belt.
\
Holm nearly made Honda look like a white belt... Not quite.... but close.... Of course Holm is a championship boxer.... we have to give Honda some slack on that....

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tarverdyan is a delusional idiot. Ronda's mom has been wanting Ronda to fire him and she's right.
\
Tarverdyan teaches conventional MMA striking drills .... just like all other MMA camps as a drill. Of course some go beyond that. Actually a respected MMA coach who believes in boxing says Ronda's striking is good by MMA standards....against a Holly Holm he predicted Holm would win...

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Her mom was a judo champion as well. Her mom is very intelligent, she should have listed to her.
\
A little synthesis Ja Gow. Rousey's MOM is super aggressive, sport win minded @ very high costs... Here, her MOM's hard-charging, aggressive nature became a legacy of loss, not success, for daughter HOnda.

Last edited:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I Picked Ronda to Win.... Was wrong....
\
I thought Ronda would fight smarter. Holm's training vids/ Winkyjohn's striking training drills as posted, not that great. In fact, they suffered in principle from the same failing you all are beating up on Tarverdyan fom, and more....
\
So I got caught on both ends: under-performance by Honda leading into over performance by Holm... Holm hit a lot harder than her past fight tape would lead one to believe. Jackson & Winky & Co. garner credit for training harder hitting....IMO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
\
Pyscho falls against mental discipline.... my standard won out....:eek::D
\
Let's see who else stuck their foot in their mouth...:eek:

Oh gawd... not more Greg Jackson fonalling???:yawn:

You know none of that makes any sense don't you? it's a whole lot of words purporting to be a sentence. And why are you calling Rousey 'Honda', they make cars they don't fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tarverdyan teaches conventional MMA striking drills .... just like all other MMA camps as a drill.

Wrong. You know next to nothing about how MMA gyms train, I'm beginning to suspect you know far less than you think about martial arts in general.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
|
WRONG..... that's not kung fu @ all...
It has nothing to do with kung fu. The closer your hands are to the blocking position of your head, the faster your hands can get to that position. The reality of defense is that if it takes 1 second for my opponent to attack me then I have less than 1 second to recognize the attack and to correctly react to it. Hands up also makes it difficult to attack the head (if the guard is good), because you have to get through the guard. An attack that hits the guard weakens or stops the impact that is going to hit the head.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So Tony, tell how us to fight against really, good evasive footwork. Your thoughts...:artist:
I'm far from an expert on the subject. There are a lot of skills that go into being good at closing on someone who has that kind of footwork. Lateral movement to cut off the available space rather than pivoting to follow the opponent. Good head movement to avoid getting hit while coming in. Baiting the opponent to attack you first and countering/closing as they strike. Feinting. Having a really, really good understanding of distance. Even if you know what to do, executing it can be difficult.

Of course, I train more from a self-defense perspective so I have a much easier option against someone who is being evasive and backing away. I can just leave. :)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
\
Woah.... ya'alll told me a jillion times that grappling is nearly impossible for a striker to stop.... Come on....

A striker who has no concept of how grappling operates will typically be at a disadvantage. However, when it comes to MMA, it's highly unlikely that you're going to encounter anyone who has no concept of grappling, or how to counter it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
\
A little synthesis Ja Gow. Rousey's MOM is super aggressive, sport win minded @ very high costs... Here, her MOM's hard-charging, aggressive nature became a legacy of loss, not success, for daughter HOnda.
That was her coaches plan, and he even stated so. Rhonda's mom said that her daughter was only as good as she was before UFC because she used to take her to different places to study Judo. She didn't like the fact that she only stayed with one gym. If I was a UFC fighter, I would want to be exposed to as many fighters as possible, I would want to know the various methods of attacks, defenses, and strategies that the fighters may use. For example, If you go to one fighter, he may suggest to move side ways to prevent Holms from escaping, while another fighter may say that he doesn't chase an opponent with good footwork, he lets the opponent come to him.

There are always multiple approaches to attack an opponent. When one strategy fails then you have to go to another. If you have only one strategy and that strategy is failing, then you basically have nothing else to pull from. The end result is that you keep doing the plan that fails.

Rhonda's coach made the assumption that rushing a striker always works.

Latest Discussions