UFC 193

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Who is looking forward to this?

I have an extremely busy day but I'm really looking forward to sitting down to watch this at 3am tomorrow morning.

Rousey's Weigh In trash talk is particularly interesting....are we further heading down the route of WWE dramatisation of the competition or is it something more: fear of losing her title, a particularly painful weight cut...?

I can't wait to see Joanna Jedrzejczyk in action again and this has to be the fight of the night for me - a real strikers fighter and great to watch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably won't watch it live, too tired, spent most of last night trying to phone friends in Paris. I don't know whether I'm bothered anyway, as you say it's getting more and more WWE.

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hope they are all okay Tez, thoughts are with anyone over there and those who have friends/family staying in Paris right now.

I know Rousey likes to play up to her adopted title as 'the best in the world', but that seemed uncharacteristic for her. I think a combination of being embarrassed that Holly didn't even flinch, a horrible cut (she wasn't looking good, even for a weigh in) and a bit of giddy nervousness got the better of her. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for that once, but I can't stand the WWE stuff Dana has been pushing for. It attracts a wider audience I guess and it's debatable as to whether it helps UFC grow further or not, but I'm definitely not a fan of it. I don't mind fighting talk but it's easily overdone

I have a day of snowboarding with friends before a few drinks later on. The plan is to watch the event at mines if we're not too worn out!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't wait!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our coach is in it. So the team has set up a local pub to show it and we are all going down to make a day of it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who is looking forward to this?

I have an extremely busy day but I'm really looking forward to sitting down to watch this at 3am tomorrow morning.

Rousey's Weigh In trash talk is particularly interesting....are we further heading down the route of WWE dramatisation of the competition or is it something more: fear of losing her title, a particularly painful weight cut...?

I can't wait to see Joanna Jedrzejczyk in action again and this has to be the fight of the night for me - a real strikers fighter and great to watch.

This is the one the things that I don't like about boxing and UFC. I understand that it's a marketing stunt, but I think it's not necessary.and it sends out the wrong message about fighting in general. People aren't dogs so there's no need to face them off like that to get them upset. The best fights are going to be the ones where emotions of anger aren't in the in the way and the fighters are focused on the task at hand. I rather fight someone who is angry at me than someone who is focused. I can always count on an angry person to make flawed decisions when attacking me with anger. A focused person isn't going to do make those mistakes, a focused person.

I look at anger like this: "I'm not angry at my enemy because that would require me to care enough about him to feel anger. I will treat my enemy like an ant that I crush, void of emotion and concern; having only the focus of crushing the ant." To me people are the most dangerous and more incredible when they are focused.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I try to totally ignore the hype and trash talk and just watch the fights to study the fighter's technique when I have a chance. I don't have cable, so I usually don't get to see the fights until they end up on DVD or online.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timings of the UFC fight nights in the US are never good for us, the occasional European ones are okay but they seem to be rare now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UFC here is on BT Sport which some pay for though I don't as I have internet from the same provider, all the fights are shown usually probably because there's not much else on during the very early morning.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay thanks, here is hoping he wins and has continued success!

Yeah ditto.

He is doing this on no notice. The guy who was supposed to fight pulled out injured.

It seems interesting. Everybody has got together and are helping each other out with warm up sessions and the like. So worth it for him just to train with some top guys.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few things....

My girl (Rousey) is crazy-as in psycho. No one wants to believe that, but time will prove me right. I'm rooting for her.....

The WWE stuff--don't believe all the hype-they actually get bonuses from Dana for delivering that ****....and it wasn't so much....

My home girl (Holly Holm) is coached by my friends-I don't think she has more than a puncher's chance, but might have with another four fights under her belt-but she's got good stuff. I'm rooting for her too!

(Holly Holm developed knockout power in both legs pretty quickly, and she's a good boxer, and has proven to be able to fight takedowns well- I think she might have a prayer of a chance, but that's about it.)

(Ronda Rousey can't stand to lose-which is part of where "champions" are defined: how well they pickup from losing. It will be interesting to see her finally lose her UFC title, if it ever happens.....)

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that there are people who believe all the smack talk in the UFC?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the fight. It's been interesting seeing Ronda transition to more striking.

As for trash talk, I've never been a fan. I like seeing fighters give each other a hug... Whether BJJ, MT, etc... It shows more respect for each other as fighters. They're brothers/sisters in the ring.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As for trash talk, it's not part of what I do personally, but done right, I find it almost an art form. :)

Latest Discussions