Unordinary

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Highlight videos are always fun. Not necessarily indicative of best practices or common outcomes, but fun.

Anderson Silva and Anthony Pettis are always amazing to watch.

Capoeira is exciting when it works.

#3 wasn't a kick, it was a butt smash. First time I've seen someone knocked out with buttocks to the face.

Some slick submissions in there. A lot of those are low-percentage in the sense that that you won't encounter the opportunity for them very often. It's a testament to the skill of the fighters involved that they were able to recognize the opening and execute an unorthodox technique in the split second available.

Weird how the Russian announcer switches to English for the names of techniques like "front kick" and "flying armbar." He couldn't say that in Russian?

Speaking of English, BTW, the word you wanted for the title of the post is probably extraordinary rather than unordinary. "Unordinary" is technically an English word, but I don't think I've ever heard it used by a native speaker.

OP
Lottatore italiano

Lottatore italiano

White Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of English, BTW, the word you wanted for the title of the post is probably extraordinary rather than unordinary. "Unordinary" is technically an English word, but I don't think I've ever heard it used by a native speaker.

Thank you very much, man!

And thanks for your comments, too.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another possibility would be "unusual," depending on the point you were trying to make.

"Extraordinary" generally implies something amazing or impressive. "Unusual" indicates something that is rare, but doesn't imply any judgment. You could make a good case that most of the submissions and knockouts in the videos you posted were unusual techniques executed with extraordinary skill.

I guess "unordinary" would mean pretty much the same as "unusual", but I've never heard it in conversation and hardly ever seen it in print.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Attack vs defence. People spend more time learning to defend the highest percentage attacks. So sometimes the unordinary attacks work better because the other guy has less defence to it.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Attack vs defence. People spend more time learning to defend the highest percentage attacks. So sometimes the unordinary attacks work better because the other guy has less defence to it.
Yep. Some of those moves succeeded because the opponent had no idea they were coming.

Latest Discussions