UFC 193

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

What's telling is that he's her principle striking coach, not just her "Head Coach."

He's taught her how to throw punches, but he hasn't really taught her how to box- as long as she was fighting MMArtists, other grapplers, and lower-tier kickboxers, it fit in with her skillset and game plan: she could go straight in and bull over an opponent. She's never displayed evasive movement, never cut off the ring, never circled-and never had to. She goes straight in, and most people have just stood there......

...and Edmond's gotta go.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"“The game plan was pressing,” Tarverdyan said. “We knew Holly Holm was going to keep the distance. So we had to feint and get inside and pressure the right way so we can get on the side of the cage."
Horrible plan. Do people go into a fight with only 1 plan?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tarverdyan is a delusional idiot. Ronda's mom has been wanting Ronda to fire him and she's right.
Her mom was a judo champion as well. Her mom is very intelligent, she should have listed to her.
In another interview her mom said that the reason Ronda was so good at Judo was because she used to take her to different places (gyms). Her mom seems to have a good sense of what fighting is about.
Her mom fighting

Her mom explains her comments about the coach. It's funny how what she stated is exactly what happened during the fight. I hope Rhonda will listen to her mom now.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's that old saying? You get punched in the face as a Black Belt, you instantly become a Brown Belt? You get punched in the face again, and you instantly become a Purple belt?

I think by the end of that fight, Ronda had made it all the way back to White belt.
You really believe that???

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
she did the wrong training for the task. Her loss makes sense when I look at clips from her training. None of he sparring partners were mobile like holm.
She lost a fight. Has nothing to do with her training. She's a great fighter. She just had a bad night. Analize the hell out of it but she just was out fought.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Her mom was a judo champion as well. Her mom is very intelligent, she should have listed to her.
In another interview her mom said that the reason Ronda was so good at Judo was because she used to take her to different places (gyms). Her mom seems to have a good sense of what fighting is about.
Her mom fighting

Her mom explains her comments about the coach. It's funny how what she stated is exactly what happened during the fight. I hope Rhonda will listen to her mom now.
Her mom's what we call "about a what for."

As in, ain't she about a what for???
rolling.gif

That famous Rousey armbar came straight from her mom. Her mom wrecked her knees, and nage waza became too difficult for her to rely on, o she concentrated ne waza, and katame waza and kansetsu waza in particular-and went on to win a world championship that way....ain't that about a what for??
rolling.gif

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's telling is that he's her principle striking coach, not just her "Head Coach."

He's taught her how to throw punches, but he hasn't really taught her how to box- as long as she was fighting MMArtists, other grapplers, and lower-tier kickboxers, it fit in with her skillset and game plan: she could go straight in and bull over an opponent. She's never displayed evasive movement, never cut off the ring, never circled-and never had to. She goes straight in, and most people have just stood there......

...and Edmond's gotta go.

Well said, every word.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
BJJ Scout posted a breakdown analyzing how the match might go a few days before the fight. Looks like they got a whole bunch of stuff exactly right.

What's that old saying? You get punched in the face as a Black Belt, you instantly become a Brown Belt? You get punched in the face again, and you instantly become a Purple belt?

I think by the end of that fight, Ronda had made it all the way back to White belt.

Overstating the case, I think. By the end of the fight Ronda had been punched down from an Olympic champion with a strong MMA game to the level of a pretty good Judo black belt who might have won some state championships. (That's probably a bigger skill gap than the gap between a normal black belt and a normal white belt.) Holm was making her look bad, but if you had subbed in a lesser opponent in the last couple of minutes, Ronda would still have been dangerous.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great article about Holly Holm from February, 2015 just prior to her UFC debut. Very interesting, particularly in light of recent events.

Holly Holm: Women's MMA 'would benefit greatly' if Ronda Rousey lost

"I think when you see one person do well or kind of bring down the No. 1, then everybody thinks, well if she can do that, I can, too."

It's unclear what having a champion like Rousey who bullies every contender has done for the UFC... But ultimately, is it good for women's MMA to have someone so much better than the rest? Holm isn't sure. The Albuquerque, N.M., native thinks Rousey losing could be a boon to the rest of the women's bantamweight division.

"I think it kind of brings that person down to a normal level," Holm said.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Great article about Holly Holm from February, 2015 just prior to her UFC debut. Very interesting, particularly in light of recent events.

Holly Holm: Women's MMA 'would benefit greatly' if Ronda Rousey lost

What's really interesting is that, well-Ronda had already said she was gonna take a sort of "UFC vacation" to make a couple of movies. It's bad for business, though, to have a champion sitting idly with the title-Holly winning was good business for the UFC as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the UFC was never going to lose out was it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but having the champion sit on her championship for six months or more would have lost them some money......

They'll have had Plan B and probably C, they won't miss out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"“The game plan was pressing,” Tarverdyan said. “We knew Holly Holm was going to keep the distance. So we had to feint and get inside and pressure the right way so we can get on the side of the cage."
Horrible plan. Do people go into a fight with only 1 plan?

Mostly yes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's really interesting is that, well-Ronda had already said she was gonna take a sort of "UFC vacation" to make a couple of movies. It's bad for business, though, to have a champion sitting idly with the title-Holly winning was good business for the UFC as well.
One of the wwe guys said the same thing l, alleging the fight was fixed for this exact reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
One of the wwe guys said the same thing l, alleging the fight was fixed for this exact reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was fixed, it was pretty well fixed-kinda like saying Liston v. Ali was fixed-people say it to this day, but there's no proof.

Holly Holm was just better....but a fix would have made good business sense.

Latest Discussions