UFC 193

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Greg Jackson does it again. Holly Holm was a surgeon in that ring, and Rousey got too cocky with her "striking skills".

YTH did I stop betting on these kind of matches?:arghh:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
God, I love the fight game! Wow, just wow.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
untitled-15eeq9f.gif

She deserved to lose.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timings of the UFC fight nights in the US are never good for us, the occasional European ones are okay but they seem to be rare now.

Yep. Set my alarm to see what turned out to be a bloody fight and woke just after it finished. Thankfully the people I know that are in Paris, are okay.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rhonda was smart to not just charge in, but just didnt have the striking experience to do what she needed to do.

Its incredibly hard to get proper takedowns on someone with good movement as she learned

Part of it falls to her coaches for letting her think her striking was up to par, and telling her shes doing good in between the rounds.

Thats being a cheerleader and not a coach

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rhonda was smart to not just charge in, but just didnt have the striking experience to do what she needed to do.

Its incredibly hard to get proper takedowns on someone with good movement as she learned

Part of it falls to her coaches for letting her think her striking was up to par, and telling her shes doing good in between the rounds.

Yeah,her coach was going on about how she could beat a womens world boxing champion in a boxing match, which is just delusional. Rousey is a world-class grappler and her striking has come along in the last couple of years, but she doesn't have high-level pro boxing skills.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To be fair, I thought Rousey was doing pretty good in the first round. She went in for a couple of failed take downs but she landed about as many solid blows as Holly. She just straight up dropped her guard in that second round and got rocked because of it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Coaching walks kind of a fine line.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few things....

My girl (Rousey) is crazy-as in psycho. No one wants to believe that, but time will prove me right. I'm rooting for her.....

The WWE stuff--don't believe all the hype-they actually get bonuses from Dana for delivering that ****....and it wasn't so much....

My home girl (Holly Holm) is coached by my friends-I don't think she has more than a puncher's chance, but might have with another four fights under her belt-but she's got good stuff. I'm rooting for her too!

(Holly Holm developed knockout power in both legs pretty quickly, and she's a good boxer, and has proven to be able to fight takedowns well- I think she might have a prayer of a chance, but that's about it.)

(Ronda Rousey can't stand to lose-which is part of where "champions" are defined: how well they pickup from losing. It will be interesting to see her finally lose her UFC title, if it ever happens.....)

Elder, you know the Rousey family. How much is this going to mess up Ronda's head? Is she going to come back stronger, or fall apart?

And what I find fun to think about is what the promoters are going to do......
Will Holm fight somebody else before she meets Rousey again?
Where does this leave Miesha Tate?
Where does it leave Chris Cyborg?
If Holm DOES fight someone else before Rousey, and loses, how does that affect a rematch with Ronda?
Can Ronda actually beat Holm? If they fight again and Rousey loses again - is that the end of her career?
What about her movie roles, like that remake of Roadhouse, think the producers feel like throwing any money at that puppy now that she got her butt whooped. Unless, of course, Holm was a fellow bouncer. :)

Oh, I so love this stuff.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do think this is good for the sport, in that it proves the women's division has a deeper bench of world-class fighters than just Rousey.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be fair, I thought Rousey was doing pretty good in the first round. She went in for a couple of failed take downs but she landed about as many solid blows as Holly. She just straight up dropped her guard in that second round and got rocked because of it.
I agree. The best defense in the world is "hands up".

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never get back to your feet like Rhonda does at
4:32
6:26
8:57
She made some beginner's errors when getting off the ground. She should also learn how to kick and sweep. Sweeps would have been perfect to use against Holly evasive movements.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never get back to your feet like Rhonda does at
4:32
6:26
8:57
She made some beginner's errors when getting off the ground. She should also learn how to kick and sweep. Sweeps would have been perfect to use against Holly evasive movements.
Thanks for finding that video. Holms executed her game plan perfectly. Very impressive.

I'm sure Ronda knows how to get back to her feet correctly, but by that point in the fight she was already somewhat concussed (not to mention frustrated). She hasn't had to deal with taking those kind of shots before in her career. It takes a fair amount of experience to be able to maintain perfect technique after you've eaten a bunch of hard shots to the head.

Latest Discussions