Thoughts on these quotes or sayings.

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a old Clint Eastwood Movie this evening. Heard the famous quote from that movie
Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)
Quote - “A man has to know his limitations.”

My dad and Ive heard some other people in my life say
"Don't let anyone tell you their is something you cant do"

Made me think how these to quotes or saying apply to my life and which one I should give more weight to. I like the positive thinking and motivational aspect of "Don't let anyone tell you their is something you cant do"

But a more realistic view of life is the “A man has to know his limitations.” saying.

So is it more important in your opinion for a man to know his limitations or believe that he can do anything?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Por que no los dos? Don't let anyone else tell you what you can't do, but figure out your own limitations, and remember them.

I'm not a fan of sticking blankly to any quotes, their mostly situational, but those two actually seem like they fit well together.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A man has to know his limitations....be realistic

I'm not gonna beat Mark Hunt in a Fist fight.

I'm probably not gonna beat Jerry Miculek in a quick draw gunfight.

But that doeant mean you have to set your goals low....just be realistic.

What Harry is saying is....if you dont know your realistic limitations....you are doomed for failure.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A man has to know his limitations....be realistic

I'm not gonna beat Mark Hunt in a Fist fight.

I'm probably not gonna beat Jerry Miculek in a quick draw gunfight.

But that doeant mean you have to set your goals low....just be realistic.

What Harry is saying is....if you dont know your realistic limitations....you are doomed for failure.
well, he was saying 'if you think you are God you'll get blown up'

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that I should think that I can do anything I put my mind to... but I need to be able to tell other people that they need to know their limitations. That's exactly as Harry Callahan was using the statement.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An interesting note of trivia, that line was actually a poke at his commanding officer, Lt Briggs [Hal Holbrook] Not that any of us would ever do such a thing.

Harry Callahan : Well, I just work for the city Briggs.

Lieutentant Briggs: So do I, longer than you, and I never had to take my gun out of it's holster once. I'm proud of that.

Harry Calahan: Well, you're a good man, lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations.

My buddy, Paul, drew the posters for Magnum Force and Dirty Harry. He just gave me the original Dirty Harry one. Score.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
An interesting note of trivia, that line was actually a poke at his commanding officer, Lt Briggs [Hal Holbrook] Not that any of us would ever do such a thing.

Lieutentant Briggs: So do I, longer than you, and I never had to take my gun out of it's holster once. I'm proud of that.

Harry Calahan: Well, you're a good man, lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations.

My buddy, Paul, drew the posters for Magnum Force and Dirty Harry. He just gave me the original Dirty Harry one. Score.
Buka...you are the most connected person!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Buka...you are the most connected person!!

Paul’s a cop here at the airport, out injured right now unfortunately, worked as an artist for years at Warner Brothers. When I first asked him what it was like being the artist on an iconic film he said...

“It was just another low budget cop film at the time, and I had just finished several posters for several “Blaxploitation” films earlier that day, I just threw it together - I was in my broken glass phase - and just wanted to finish it and go home for dinner.

His “broken glass phase” was stuff on posters where glass was shattered by bullets etc. He said he had gotten on a roll with them at the time. We laughed our butts off over the story.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was watching a old Clint Eastwood Movie this evening. Heard the famous quote from that movie
Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)
Quote - “A man has to know his limitations.”

My dad and Ive heard some other people in my life say
"Don't let anyone tell you their is something you cant do"

Made me think how these to quotes or saying apply to my life and which one I should give more weight to. I like the positive thinking and motivational aspect of "Don't let anyone tell you their is something you cant do"

But a more realistic view of life is the “A man has to know his limitations.” saying.

So is it more important in your opinion for a man to know his limitations or believe that he can do anything?

I would say there is no way to know your limitations until you take the approach that there are none. This only applies to "the good things in life", and not trying to be the guy who is always taking foolish risk.
I used to be able to hold my breath underwater for over 6 minutes and used to do it as a bet freediving. Twice I got in real trouble and was on the verge of passing out near the surface and had to have help to get topside. Thankfully we always had spotters near the surface. Not wise.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like so many pithy quotes, neither covers all situations. They are a way to think about things, and aren't really in conflict.

A man has to know his limitations. It's useful for me to know that I'm easily distracted and bored by detail after a point. It's also useful for me to know that I can be too wordy when explaining, and can talk over others' attempts to think about what I'm saying.

Never let anybody tell you what you can't do. Never take for granted that someone saying "you can't do that" is correct in saying so. If it's important to you, find a way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brother, you got a lotta really cool buddies.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first asked him what it was like being the artist on an iconic film he said...

“It was just another low budget cop film at the time, and I had just finished several posters for several “Blaxploitation” films earlier that day, I just threw it together - I was in my broken glass phase - and just wanted to finish it and go home for dinner.
Have heard many stories as such.
Kind of just 'all in a days work nothing special' and suddenly it's a part of iconic history.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back to the OP's thoughts.....

"Don't let anyone tell you there is something you cant do"

“A man has to know his limitations.”

Sounds like a perfect, real word example of Yin and Yang.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

something like 'with more discipline comes more freedom'

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hey, that sounds a lot like a quote of it's own!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

A man has got to know his limitations because.....

You dont tug on Superman's Cape
You dont spit into the wind
You dont poke the mask of that ole Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Slim.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My last dojo which I opened in 83 and closed two months ago used to be a pocket billiards parlor that I just about grew up in. And I AM a skinny bastard, so....

I am a pool shootin’ boy, my name Willie McCoy.
But down home they call me slim.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a good French version of that song, too, by Joe Dassin. He had to change the cultural references, but kept the song pretty true to the original.

Latest Discussions