Thoughts on these quotes or sayings.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A man has got to know his limitations because.....

You dont tug on Superman's Cape
You dont spit into the wind
You dont poke the mask of that ole Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Slim.
I Love Jim Croche. Brings back great memories.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard a great "quote" today, maybe just a phrase. A NFL player was on a sports talk radio show and said "When a person says somebody has a lot of potential, that really means they haven't done anything yet. I found that profoundly true.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I heard a great "quote" today, maybe just a phrase. A NFL player was on a sports talk radio show and said "When a person says somebody has a lot of potential, that really means they haven't done anything yet. I found that profoundly true.
well, it often means (in people) they are either too lazy, or put in the wrong spot.
Kind of like with them house shows on TV:
'It has potential' means you have to bulldoze the place and start over

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A man has to know his limitations....be realistic

I'm not gonna beat Mark Hunt in a Fist fight.

I'm probably not gonna beat Jerry Miculek in a quick draw gunfight.

But that doeant mean you have to set your goals low....just be realistic.

What Harry is saying is....if you dont know your realistic limitations....you are doomed for failure.

Very well thought out post. The question is what is "realistic" for a person to accomplish and when are you being unrealistic and setting yourself up for failure. For example If I want to be an NBA player (im 41 years old and white) I can train 18 hours a day and have the greatest coach on the world training me and it just isn't going to ever happen.

Not if I wanted to be a world champion golfer I could spend that same 18 hours a day training and with great coaching it is at least physically possible I could break onto the PGA tour.

I see a lot of people pounding their head so to speak on things that will never happen for them anyway. Im all for positive thinking and trying to improve yourself but as the saying goes "A man has got to know his limations"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very well thought out post. The question is what is "realistic" for a person to accomplish and when are you being unrealistic and setting yourself up for failure. For example If I want to be an NBA player (im 41 years old and white) I can train 18 hours a day and have the greatest coach on the world training me and it just isn't going to ever happen.

Not if I wanted to be a world champion golfer I could spend that same 18 hours a day training and with great coaching it is at least physically possible I could break onto the PGA tour.

I see a lot of people pounding their head so to speak on things that will never happen for them anyway. Im all for positive thinking and trying to improve yourself but as the saying goes "A man has got to know his limations"

I can't both agree and disagree, so I have to write it out. I completely agree that a man as to know his limitations. Heart felt Amen on that.

But as for this "Not if I wanted to be a world champion golfer I could spend that same 18 hours a day training and with great coaching it is at least physically possible I could break onto the PGA tour."

While the probability is technically not zero, I’m not going "infinite monkey theorem" with you. I think you're taking the conceptual comparisons of the two sports out of context.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't both agree and disagree, so I have to write it out. I completely agree that a man as to know his limitations. Heart felt Amen on that.

But as for this "Not if I wanted to be a world champion golfer I could spend that same 18 hours a day training and with great coaching it is at least physically possible I could break onto the PGA tour."

While the probability is technically not zero, I’m not going "infinite monkey theorem" with you. I think you're taking the conceptual comparisons of the two sports out of context.
I agree. I think a better example (using myself this time) would be the chance of me becoming a highly-skilled basketball player who can dunk the ball and drive the lane, versus me being able to get to a single-digit handicap. Both are a long way off, but I have some of the skills for the latter (and almost none of the former), and there's no specific physical lack that would stop me from playing golf quite well (whereas my knees will put the kibosh on that dunk, all by themselves). Neither is actually going to happen, but one of them probably could.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I think a better example (using myself this time) would be the chance of me becoming a highly-skilled basketball player who can dunk the ball and drive the lane, versus me being able to get to a single-digit handicap. Both are a long way off, but I have some of the skills for the latter (and almost none of the former), and there's no specific physical lack that would stop me from playing golf quite well (whereas my knees will put the kibosh on that dunk, all by themselves). Neither is actually going to happen, but one of them probably could.

Yes yours is a much better example.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In reading the examples given, I think an important point to consider on the quote, "never let anyone tell you that you can't do something." Is that part of that is the assumption that you haven't tried it yet. If you take their advice on face value, you will never find out if they were wrong. Most worthy goals and ideas are outside of our current limitations. Only by pushing past our limitations do we discover our ultimate LIMIT for something. By pushing and challenging ourselves, we will ultimately come to know our limitations. Makes me think of the advice that my parents always gave me, "you'll never know unless you try".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Right on topic I thought about knowing your limits and being told you can't do something.

Latest Discussions