The Baddest Art on Earth

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
Sup. I'm looking for the best martial arts where self-defense and survival in "any" situation is concerned, preferable can be efficiently lethal and non-lethal at discretion and with many practical day to day uses (For example, with wrestling your form and finesse when grabbing and holding doors and stuff changes.)

I read elsewhere that apart from knife fighting and guns that Krav Maga, Spetznaz Systema, BJJ, Pankration, Muay Thai, Wing Chun and Sambo are the best and most practical for this. What are your thoughts?
I currently do Wrestling and like MMA.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So what's wrong with the wrestling and the mma?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It would depend on what you are trying to achieve, are you looking for additions for competing, or are you considering a career in sports fighting, are you looking for effective self defense for the street, or are you looking to become a badass?
Because I guarantee you will get as many answers as there are arts available, Myself have experience in 3 arts, only one of them is on your list, which is Systema, pros, it will teach you to move efficient, survive , hide your strikes in your movement, we have no grading, we practice drills in stead of forms, and keep control of your emotions in high pressure situations, and how to recover yourself quickly, and get used to receiving strikes, and contrary to belief we do practice knife work, efficient in the use of, helps in the process of defending, and we do ground work, you can tailor the principles to yourself, and bolt on things you have learnt from other arts. cons it takes time, you will have to face and deal with your inner fears and hang ups, and work very hard, but what I have written will probably be echoed from a practioner of all the other arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want recommendations as in pros/cons and "Choose #1 if you want ____, #2 if you want..".

See, the problem is that it's basically impossible for anyone to make such a list without it being basically nothing more than one persons subjective opinion.
Go check out the schools in your area. See what seems like a good fit for you. Then go train.

OP
B

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
It would depend on what you are trying to achieve, are you looking for additions for competing, or are you considering a career in sports fighting, are you looking for effective self defense for the street, or are you looking to become a badass?
Because I guarantee you will get as many answers as there are arts available, Myself have experience in 3 arts, only one of them is on your list, which is Systema, pros, it will teach you to move efficient, survive , hide your strikes in your movement, we have no grading, we practice drills in stead of forms, and keep control of your emotions in high pressure situations, and how to recover yourself quickly, and get used to receiving strikes, and contrary to belief we do practice knife work, efficient in the use of, helps in the process of defending, and we do ground work, you can tailor the principles to yourself, and bolt on things you have learnt from other arts. cons it takes time, you will have to face and deal with your inner fears and hang ups, and work very hard, but what I have written will probably be echoed from a practioner of all the other arts.

Self-Defense and Badass.
Ideally with transferable skills or complements others ex: Makes you better swimmer. Goes good with Wrestling.

@Gweilo @Dirty Dog , Not quite. Read the first answer:
https://www.quora.com/Would-escrima...-that-I-do-not-nor-ever-intend-to-carry-a-gun

With that in context, which is/are the best for that?
And where do Libre Fighting and Piper Knife Fighting rank?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is the problem, you are quoting someone who has no published credentials, but runs a ma blog, secondly, the instructor in the post is Vadim Starov, a former spetznaz low ranking officer, who claims to be the founder of the art, and still uses AK47 replicas in his training, because we all got one of them. It's opinion, in real life if you see the knife, then it's probably there to scare you, or they are inexperienced, seldom do victims of knife attacks even see the threat, we train knife defense as an awareness tool, if you know how to use it, then you have a better chance of seeing it, observing others in training with weapons and yourself is to practice situational awareness, giving yourself the best chance, you are better off learning the what you do and why you do it, using quorate as a basis of fact, will lead you way off track, as said choose an art and train it, or you will become one of those who have 35 -40 years experience in martial arts, but never get any further than 1st Dan in any of the arts.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want recommendations as in pros/cons and "Choose #1 if you want ____, #2 if you want..".
We could try... but there are many names for the same and same (art) names for very different stuff. Then, even if done, people would disagree and confuse you... Sorry. :)

But, go on. Ask, research and try a few.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem with "Self-Defense" is that the majority of it is NOT found in the physical arts themselves. For example, situational awareness, pre-assault indicators, verbal de-escalation and the list goes on.

So no matter what "art" you choose, you will need to seek out those other things. That being said, many martial artists have sought out those things and teach them along with the physical art. That is a case by case basis with each instructor/school.

All arts have their pros and cons. Combat sports are great for training you to apply your techniques against a resisting opponent. One drawback is that they are based on the fact that both parties are consenting to a duel. Traditional arts sometimes don't include a more resistance based training for their techniques or may be more focused on the traditional way the art is to be performed.

All arts were designed for a specific strategy and the tactics to support that strategy, which may not always be the most effective in a self-defense scenario. For example, TKD utilizes many kicking techniques that require more sure footing and a longer fighting distance. BJJ mainly focuses on closing the fighting distance and taking it to the ground to control/subdue your opponent. Rickson Gracie said in an interview that GJJ was great for Brazil, but if he got into a fight in the US, he would punch and run.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you want general badassery, then just be fitter, stronger , faster more physically disciplined and phycologicaly tougher than your attacker, if you all have that you can bolt absolutely any art on and it will be very effective. if your lacking some or all of those qualities then your not bad *** enough to be a bad ***. go back to bad *** school or someone who actually is a bad *** will make a real mess of you

nb it will probably improve your swimming as well

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't do either because it's a pointless exercise. My pros and cons might be different to yours just because I think somethings a pro doesn't mean you will.

Forget about what is "badass" and find something you enjoy. Do that by going out picking a club and go train if you enjoy it carry on if you hate it find another then repeat the process. Like what we did before the Internet

OP
B

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm cool with any. I even like Aikido but it's not for what I want so. I'm going with
- Teukgong Moosool or Systema
- Either Combat Sambo, Boxing or Muay Thai.

Which 2 do you think complement best Wrestling?