Martial Arts For Law Enforcement

Reaction score
Which of the following martial arts is the most practical for a police officer?
  • Boxing
  • Judo
  • BJJ
  • Krav Maga
  • Muay Thai
  • MMA

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would want to qualify that question by asking a bunch of questions in return but as a simple answer i would say judo and bjj.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
None. And all.

A police officer doesn't need a "martial art." They need a broad range of skills at defending themselves and subduing and controlling a resisting subject. Most Defensive Tactics/Control Tactics programs are combinations of several -- or a specific curriculum assembled from within an art (like Gracie Combatives or the KMWW Force Protection series). The methodology for teaching is different than a typical martial art.

With all that -- I encourage LEOs to find a solid art that they're interested in, and practice it, informing their practice by their real world experience. These are perishable skills, and you need to do something to help retain them. And you need to stay in shape, too...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Boxing
  • Judo
  • BJJ
  • Krav Maga
  • Muay Thai
  • MMA

When I was a rookie I was given this bit of advice.

Skills and tactics to LEO are like tools to a carpenter.....the more and diverse ones you have the easier your job becomes.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hapkido would be my first choice out of any martial art, but that's not on your list. It focuses on wrist control, which might make it one of the best for getting cuffs on someone.

My next choice would be wrestling. A cop usually has backup and can pick their engagements (notice I said "usually") in which case an art like wrestling, where your goal is basically to pin the other person, would be practical. Of course, you can also easily make the case for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (it would probably help you isolate the wrists on the ground to cuff someone) or Judo for the same reason.

When I was looking at what arts would pair well with gun use, I actually liked the look of Bagua Zhang, which to my understand basically focused on evasive footwork. If your goal in a defense situation is to get to your gun or tazer, this might be a good choice. I didn't end up taking it because it's a more obscure art than I was able to find in my city.

On the other hand, if you want to focus on the baton, then eskrima, arnis, or kali might be a good choice for you.

I don't think a striking art would be as applicable, because usually as a cop you want to control the situation instead of knocking someone out, and if you want to knock someone out it's probably better to do so with a jolt of electricity than a concussion.

In any case, it's more about your master or instructor knowing their craft and being good teachers than it is about what art. A good boxing coach would be way better than a dolt teaching wrestling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMA gives you the most experience in the most ranges. But you will pretty much have to grapple. So you won't be able to used half of it.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Spent many years as a cop (and and couple as a C.O.). IMHO, the best MA (for that purpose) is the one they teach - DTAC. Problem is that training is over soon and is rarely revisited. Perishable skill an all, so ya gotta find a school. I know wrestling, judo, bjj will naturally be most folks first suggestion but unless they've worn body armor and a duty rig, they're hypothesizing. I have NEVER been to a school where we suit up then roll, just sayin.

I'd suggest DZR JJ and boxing. Well, really I'd suggest getting that OC or tazer out a little quicker but THEN I'd suggest those two.

Little things makes a huge difference. I actually injured my knee, dropping a guy on the floor. After I wrapped him up, I pivoted and found that deep lug boots don't turn as well on carpet as my bare foot does on a dojo floor. Whole body turned, leged did not.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
  • Boxing
  • Judo
  • BJJ
  • Krav Maga
  • Muay Thai
  • MMA
Any of the listed styles would be good only if the instructor(s) and class are excellent. Police training takes a very different tact. That said I would put boxing at the bottom of the list because it doesn't mesh well with your work. Punching someone while in uniform, especially in the face is a big no, no. MMA would be next to last for the same reason, however the grappling could be very beneficial. The rest are pretty even in my opinion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any of the listed styles would be good only if the instructor(s) and class are excellent. Police training takes a very different tact. That said I would put boxing at the bottom of the list because it doesn't mesh well with your work. Punching someone while in uniform, especially in the face is a big no, no. MMA would be next to last for the same reason, however the grappling could be very beneficial. The rest are pretty even in my opinion.

The thing is you can do MMA and just restrain people.

Everyone you train with will have the unfair advantage that they can kick and punch you.

But that is going to happen on the job anyway.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Little things makes a huge difference. I actually injured my knee, dropping a guy on the floor. After I wrapped him up, I pivoted and found that deep lug boots don't turn as well on carpet as my bare foot does on a dojo floor. Whole body turned, leged did not.

I have still not seen a cop anywhere that is hampered by a uniform to any real degree. I can show video of cops doing martial arts in uniform. I train with cops who have no issues applying martial arts in uniform.

I have work in different security uniforms and never had an issue.

This is about the most minor of issues.

We have 10 kilo weight vests. And the only issue I could see would be landing on someone with the extra weight and gassing out more quickly.

And I guarantee nobody who is making the call for gear specific systems is also making the call for an extra half hour of cardio every day to make up the difference.

If your solution is train in a uniform. And change the order of priorities to match the situation. I am all for the distinction.

If your solution is invent a system that is hopeful at best. But is presented in a manner that it doesn't have to actually work became it caters to some clothing restraints.

You are well and truly off track.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To study? Or to utilize while on the job?

I don't know how much has changed over the years. Probably a lot. But regardless of what we, police officers, train in, when it comes to the job there is only defensive tactics.

When writing a report, which is mandatory in any physical encounter, no Martial references are used, ever. Not even if the suspect assaulted you with a picture perfect side kick that should be on the cover of Black Belt magazine. It's just a kick.

Can't really have any Martial thoughts on the job. And, depending on where a person is training, might be better off to have no Martial training whatsoever.

Man, it hurt to write that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I don't know how much has changed over the years. Probably a lot. But regardless of what we, police officers, train in, when it comes to the job there is only defensive tactics.

When writing a report, which is mandatory in any physical encounter, no Martial references are used, ever. Not even if the suspect assaulted you with a picture perfect side kick that should be on the cover of Black Belt magazine. It's just a kick.

Can't really have any Martial thoughts on the job. And, depending on where a person is training, might be better off to have no Martial training whatsoever.

I see your argument but have to ask, do you consider there to be a mental aspect to MA training? More directly, does someone in a good program not learn many qualities valuable to an officer in the day to day? Awareness, demeanor, presence, etc...?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Totally unrelated but figured you would know; what are the points and ratings and how do I interpret them?
Also gotta ask, what is the NRA reference?

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have still not seen a cop anywhere that is hampered by a uniform to any real degree. I can show video of cops doing martial arts in uniform. I train with cops who have no issues applying martial arts in uniform.

I have work in different security uniforms and never had an issue.

This is about the most minor of issues.

We have 10 kilo weight vests. And the only issue I could see would be landing on someone with the extra weight and gassing out more quickly.

And I guarantee nobody who is making the call for gear specific systems is also making the call for an extra half hour of cardio every day to make up the difference.

If your solution is train in a uniform. And change the order of priorities to match the situation. I am all for the distinction.

If your solution is invent a system that is hopeful at best. But is presented in a manner that it doesn't have to actually work became it caters to some clothing restraints.

You are well and truly off track.

Kinda depends on your definition of "real degree". Having fought in and out of my duty gear, gotta say I do find it "hampering". YMMV

Not understanding the "if your solution" comments, as I was not suggesting a solution. I did offer an opinion on the OP'S list, tho.

Also confused by the statement that the offender will have the advantage because they can kick and punch you. Are you working for an agency that prohibits the use of strikes against an aggressively resisting arrestee? Must suck, none of the agencies I worked for had that limitation. In fact, striking was taught in Dtac.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kinda depends on your definition of "real degree". Having fought in and out of my duty gear, gotta say I do find it "hampering". YMMV

Not understanding the "if your solution" comments, as I was not suggesting a solution. I did offer an opinion on the OP'S list, tho.

Also confused by the statement that the offender will have the advantage because they can kick and punch you. Are you working for an agency that prohibits the use of strikes against an aggressively resisting arrestee? Must suck, none of the agencies I worked for had that limitation. In fact, striking was taught in Dtac.

One of the guys who trains with us is in a bit of trouble at the moment for punching a guy who had a knife.

There is hampering that needs some adjustment. And there is hampering where you throw out anything that reasonably works and you go with a bunch of rubbish.

I have found the second more common

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the guys who trains with us is in a bit of trouble at the moment for punching a guy who had a knife.

There is hampering that needs some adjustment. And there is hampering where you throw out anything that reasonably works and you go with a bunch of rubbish.

I have found the second more common
Sadly true.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Taiwan, either Chinese wrestling or Judo is required for 4 years police university.

Here is an old clip that I took in Taiwan Police University.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see your argument but have to ask, do you consider there to be a mental aspect to MA training? More directly, does someone in a good program not learn many qualities valuable to an officer in the day to day? Awareness, demeanor, presence, etc...?

Yes, I believe the mental aspect to Martial training can, and should, be huge. I find it lacking in much of today's martial world, though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in the second part of your question.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Totally unrelated but figured you would know; what are the points and ratings and how do I interpret them?
Also gotta ask, what is the NRA reference?

I'm not really sure about the points and ratings, either. :)

The NRA reference in my signature thingy? That's pure political hate mongering on my part. My bad, probably shouldn't be there. But I hate the fkr's. [and there I go doing it yet again!]

Latest Discussions