The Baddest Art on Earth

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
.................... I'm looking for the best martial arts where self-defense and survival in "any" situation is concerned, preferable can be efficiently lethal and non-lethal at discretion and with many practical day to day uses A.

1. "I'm looking for the best martial arts where self-defense and survival in "any" situation is concerned, " Best choice - "Run Fu" sometimes referred to as Nike Jitsu.
2. "Preferable can be efficiently lethal and non-lethal at discretion and with many practical day to day uses" Spending time and energy on most any "art" would be a waste. There is no "Art" component in what you seek. There are systems such as PPCT geared to LEOs that would likely contain what you seek.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As an aside/actual answer, continue with wrestling/mma. Then for the badassery, start training for the American ninja warrior if thats still a thing, (and you're in america), or a similar competition that still exists where you live. The people at the top of those competitions are definitely badass imo

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As an aside/actual answer, continue with wrestling/mma. Then for the badassery, start training for the American ninja warrior if thats still a thing, (and you're in america), or a similar competition that still exists where you live. The people at the top of those competitions are definitely badass imo

Badassery is an awesomely cool word.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Except for those intended to be funny, you have good advice already. I have found that most martial arts, if taught with the old ways, and practiced hard and with confidence, will give you all you want in 8 or 10 years. One problem is that when you reach that skill level you likely won't have the same goals.

BTW, do you really study MMA? You would be the first person I have seen who doesn't already think they are studying the best most B-A art. Could you be doing something wrong?

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Herein lies the problem you face, to be a real bad as, not only do you have to be real good, you have to be real cold, clinical, and I don't mean training in the snow, I mean mentally, back in the 1980's, I used to frequent a public house in England, it was a busy pub, with the regulars, and lots of footfall from the busy road, it was a busy summer, lots of tourists, one of the locals was a small man, a very polite quiet man, not the type of person you would associate with trouble, I knew of this man, and I knew what he did for a job, by day he worked in a factory, but several nights a week he was the local boxing instructor. The day I recall was a hot day, lots of tourists about, and in the pub, 3 non regular lads were there, and for what ever reason (probably because he was small) decided to mock this man, why he was reading his paper and having a beer, he ignored them, so they started to taunt him, he ignored them, one of them started through in cardboard beer mats at him, and he still ignored them, the landlord told the lads behave or leave, they quietened for a while, then started to mock the man, after a while this man got up to use the toilet, near the toilet door these lads surrounded the man, the man walked passed them into the toilet as if they wasn't there, when the man came out of the toilet they surrounded him again, then one of them put their hands on this man's shoulders, Bam, Bam Bam, the 3 lads were on the floor, the man walked back to his table, picked up his paper and started to read it, the thing was, his body language, his face, and his temperament never changed through the whole incident, never even muttered a word, the landlord and bar staff ushered the lads out of the pub, this man never said a word, it was like he had done nothing. Going by your posts, you have a long way to go to become cold, so best make your choices and start training.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sup. I'm looking for the best martial arts where self-defense and survival in "any" situation is concerned, preferable can be efficiently lethal and non-lethal at discretion and with many practical day to day uses (For example, with wrestling your form and finesse when grabbing and holding doors and stuff changes.)

I read elsewhere that apart from knife fighting and guns that Krav Maga, Spetznaz Systema, BJJ, Pankration, Muay Thai, Wing Chun and Sambo are the best and most practical for this. What are your thoughts?
I currently do Wrestling and like MMA.
If there was a "one size fits all" martial art, or several that were so markedly superior to everything else that exists, take a pause and think why do all these other styles exist, or could it be that the answer is "it depends". Most people will tell you Chuck Norris is a bad ***, yet few people will say you should train in Tang Soo Do. Likewise, just because you train in "X" art doesn't mean a lot if you are not a great athlete or fighter. Some people can be dangerous with a knitting needle or a bent spoon, others can't do anything with the same tools. Martial arts go through trends, MMA , BJJ and Muay Thai are the current darlings. Does that mean that no one in North America was capable of defending themselves with an Asian martial art until 1968 when Muay Thai was first introduced to the USA, or the late 80's for BJJ? Find out what's available to you, find out what you like, and study and train hard. You don't have Judo on your list. Try tangling with a Judo black belt. Or a Golden Gloves Boxer. Or an old school Karateka. Take what you can take, you make the martial art work, not the other way around.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sup. I'm looking for the best martial arts where self-defense and survival in "any" situation is concerned, preferable can be efficiently lethal and non-lethal at discretion and with many practical day to day uses (For example, with wrestling your form and finesse when grabbing and holding doors and stuff changes.)

I read elsewhere that apart from knife fighting and guns that Krav Maga, Spetznaz Systema, BJJ, Pankration, Muay Thai, Wing Chun and Sambo are the best and most practical for this. What are your thoughts?
I currently do Wrestling and like MMA.
Try either Ameri-Do-Te of Sinanju.