Combat Sambo vs Pankration vs Muay Thai vs Salit

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to mix one of those with Folk Wrestling and Teukgong Moosool/Systema so wanna know which is best for that and self defense.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having read some of the threads you've started, I have to say that I suspect you're a troll and not a person seriously seeking training in martial arts.

Despite intelligent martial artists telling that there is no such thing as a 'best' system for any particular purpose, you persist. You're either very young and naive, or you're just getting your kicks by stirring the pot. Either way, it's not as funny as you might suspect.

OP
B

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
Despite intelligent martial artists telling that there is no such thing as a 'best' system for any particular purpose
I have heard otherwise, many with trash talk by "IMAs" and Senseis.

Those 4 are the only ones when compared haven't heard anything yet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm looking to mix one of those with Folk Wrestling and Teukgong Moosool/Systema so wanna know which is best for that and self defense.
Curious: since you are looking to mix these, are they all available to you? Is there a school for each one that is close enough that you can attend?

OP
B

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes and Yes.

Anyways, I read Pankration >= Muay Thai + Sambo > Muay Thai or Sambo alone
Any comments?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Question, have you tried any of these martial arts you are listing?

Even if you find the combination, that you appear to be looking for, to make you the deadliest person on the planet, if you never tried them, you may find the arts you decided on, may be ones you cannot stand training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes and Yes.

Anyways, I read Pankration >= Muay Thai + Sambo > Muay Thai or Sambo alone
Any comments?
Then why not go take some classes and make your own determination? Why do you think this would have already been summarized on the internet for you? Looks like you need to do your own explorative research, and come up with your own conclusions, rather than relying on the research of others. It may well be that nobody has mixed these specific methods, or at least haven’t written about it on the internet.

Training in a martial system is a very personal endeavor, and no method works equally well for everybody. So even if someone has summarized their conclusions on such a mixing, it may well be irrelevant to you.

So get out there and start training, stick with it long enough to make a legitimate evaluation based on genuine skill and knowledge (hint: i mean years, not days or weeks or even months), and let us know what you discover. That might be interesting research to read about.

Have at it.

OP
B

Blades of Fury

White Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 last questions then:
Does the Sensei's Dan level matters and why or why not? Someone said shouldn't pay attention to that but then see other people talk of the style's Highest Dan as if they're nothing compared to him.

Is a retired ex-trophies/championships/medals "young" fighter better than the old guy for Boxing, MMA and such?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 last questions then:
Does the Sensei's Dan level matters and why or why not? Someone said shouldn't pay attention to that but then see other people talk of the style's Highest Dan as if they're nothing compared to him.

Is a retired ex-trophies/championships/medals "young" fighter better than the old guy for Boxing, MMA and such?
For the first question: not really. A lot of that "I could never compare to the 10th dan" is hero worship or cultish IMO, it really just means they've trained in that one style for a long time.

For the second question, it depends. I've personally found that the benefit of training with a young fighter is they'll spend more time sparring you, while the older guy is more likely to be better with in depth technique. That's my own experience though and your mileage may vary. Personally the better test, if it's a competitive art like boxing, see how many people there go to competition/how they do compared to other local competition. The place that does the best in local competition probably has the best coaching.

Latest Discussions