Martial Arts For Law Enforcement

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I believe the mental aspect to Martial training can, and should, be huge. I find it lacking in much of today's martial world, though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in the second part of your question.

You mentioned not having martial thoughts on the job and he is misinterpreting that.

I constantly was told that bouncing wasn't MMA by my boss. He didn't like the look of actual grappling.

Seemed to always be MMA for the other guy.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not really sure about the points and ratings, either. :)

The NRA reference in my signature thingy? That's pure political hate mongering on my part. My bad, probably shouldn't be there. But I hate the fkr's. [and there I go doing it yet again!]
Would love to have a private conversation about it sometime. Strong positioning on just about anything intrigues me.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest talking to law enforcement officers and ask them what they would suggest. With all due respect to my fellow martial artists, unless we have LEO experience we would be speaking strictly theoretically. @CB Jones @Saheim sound like they know from actual experience. I'd listen to what they, and other police offer/security professionals, have to say.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No such things as too much training and to many tools

Like Buka was referencing you will be taught and certified on a lot of the defensive tactics you will use and by using those techniques you are protected legally. Also a lot of those tactics are designed with firearm retention in mind.

With that said, when those tactics break down its good to have other tools you can go to.

Doesn’t matter what exact art it is.....but extra training in striking and grappling doesn’t hurt and will only help as a backup to your departmental defensive tactic training

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I may, I'll help you guys out with some LEO stuff. Knife defense.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No such things as too much training and to many tools

Up to a point, yes. However there comes a point where you can have too many techniques and either confuse yourself trying to figure out the "best" one to use for a given situation, or you lack the practice needed to effectively perform every single technique. In the words of Bruce Lee "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." You also find that different styles do their techniques slightly differently, and this can cause confusion in a fight when you rely on quick reactions and muscle-memory. Just as an example, I used to train in Sanda (Chinese kickboxing) where I was taught to kick using my feet. Now though I've just transitioned to Western Style kickboxing and I'm expected to kick only using my shin. It's very hard to make that seemingly simple change and when I'm sparring and snapping off kicks without thinking, I still kick with my feet instead of my shins.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of the guys who trains with us is in a bit of trouble at the moment for punching a guy who had a knife.

There is hampering that needs some adjustment. And there is hampering where you throw out anything that reasonably works and you go with a bunch of rubbish.

I have found the second more common

That is really strange because an offender who has opted to use a deadly weapon justifies deadly force. I'm guessing the issue his department has with his response is that it falls outside of policy (utilizing a technique he was not trained to). Oddly, he probably would have less explaining to do if he had shot the person because someone with a knife is almost universally considered a deadly force situation.

I' be interested to hear the outcome.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is really strange because an offender who has opted to use a deadly weapon justifies deadly force. I'm guessing the issue his department has with his response is that it falls outside of policy (utilizing a technique he was not trained to). Oddly, he probably would have less explaining to do if he had shot the person because someone with a knife is almost universally considered a deadly force situation.

it all depends too on what he was actually doing with the knife ( and what sort of knife) and where you are, just having one isn't grounds for a civvy jumping on him and beating him up.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I'm sure that an actual LEO could give you the best advice... I think BJJ would be a good choice for a police officer, because it teaches you ways to subdue a person without causing them much harm. If you're called in to deal with a person that's just being a nuisance (i.e, public drunkenness, or a mentally ill person causing a disturbance) rather than an armed robbery or whatever, that seems like a really good tool to have.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I'm sure that an actual LEO could give you the best advice... I think BJJ would be a good choice for a police officer, because it teaches you ways to subdue a person without causing them much harm. If you're called in to deal with a person that's just being a nuisance (i.e, public drunkenness, or a mentally ill person causing a disturbance) rather than an armed robbery or whatever, that seems like a really good tool to have.

Wrestling or judo or something that does throws and pins.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It probably would have been ok if he used a tool like a gun or a tazer. But you can't really crack people in the head as a cop because it looks bad.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buka, CBJones, Saheim, Punisher73, jks9199, myself plus several others on here can give us all a background on tactics that law enforcement use. Myself and jks9199 are also Defensive Tactics Instructors for our respective law enforcement departments. Law Enforcement has very specific and special needs based on what we do. Most departments over time have created a specific DT program that is regulated or in accordance with their states law enforcement governing body. Here in Nevada it is POST and in California it is POST in Michigan MCOLES, etc. Defensive Tactics in law enforcement is an ongoing and developing process based of case law. Recently as of 2017 here in Nevada the largest department in our state the Las Vegas Metro Police Department just reclassified the lateral vascular neck restraint or rear naked choke after it caused a death in a use of force encounter. Now it is classified to be used only in an intermediate or deadly use of force situation and not to be used in a low level situation as it had in the past. So DT's for law enforcement have been around for quite awhile and are growing and continue to incorporate movement that is specifically related to what we do.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was pretty awesome. Master Ken ain't got nothing on them guys.

But, tell me fellas, where does one get one of those way cool, blue, cammo outfits? I'd look the berries in one of those.

Blue camo is apparently US Navy issue.

Or from any hipster type shop over here...