Sport vs. Street

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And I just showed you an actual video of COPS allowing a street fight on public streets...so how can you be right with your absolute statement?
Becaus the only LEO that decides the law is Judge Dredd. In the real world laws are made by Governments (not LEOs) and courts (not LEOs) decide if a persons actions broke those laws or not.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Becaus the only LEO that decides the law is Judge Dredd. In the real world laws are made by Governments (not LEOs) and courts (not LEOs) decide if a persons actions broke those laws or not.

Well in the real world, laws can be argued against. And that video wasn't the real world? What's unreal about it?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well in the real world, laws can be argued against. And that video wasn't the real world? What's unreal about it?
Yes they can be argued, but it's still not an LEOs job to make those decisions or arguments, you posted that video in an attempt to support your claim of that.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounded more like you pissed off that lady really, really bad and she was not really a "thug". By your other larping scenarios, a real thug would have surprised you from the shadows of a dark alley, with 5 of his buddies....all with baseball bats, bicycle chains, cue ball in a bandana, etc. If someone really wanted to get you, it would involve a scope. Committing a crime is pretty easy...it's the getting away with it, now that's the hard part.
Wasn't a woman, and I don't larp. For the record I have had someone hit me in the back from behind with a golf club robbed me of $6 and a cassette tape. To be honest I don't practice martial arts for self defense I practice for peace of mind I got enough broken bones and injuries, I left all that street life in my past but i can comment that a ring and an altercation are different, just like I posted that video of the guy getting stabbed just two different worlds. Have a nice day

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. There's a lot of application on the street. There's a huge overlap between skills for competition and skills for self-defense.
So, @Paul_D, by disagreeing with this, are you asserting that when fighting to defend oneself from an attack, there are no skills there that can also be used when fighting for competition? Can't punch the same way? Can't use the same throws, locks, and pins?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then self defence training needs to broaden its application. So it at least could be used to engage someone.
Some styles of MA can be used for self-defense and can engage (by which, I assume you mean initiate the fight, when it becomes clear it is unavoidable). In fact, most can. That has nothing to do with the fact that there are many kinds of self-defense encounters, and few will have the dynamics of a shared fight, like that one. In a case like that, good self-defense is to get out when possible. There were plenty of opportunities to try that, but neither combatant appeared to give it a shot. The large crowd surrounding them, yelling, is also uncommon in a self-defense situation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. I am a little disturbed here o_O

I am not the one having life or death fights.

The people who are claiming life or death really should have a stack of bodies to their name.

Or it really isn't.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I don't necessarily disagree completely with what you said, his error was that he made it as a matter of fact that he has the only true definition to what SD is.

And the reality is, many people lie to themselves. If they really believe that running away is the best option, then all they'd have to do is turn and run the moment that there's a slight sign of aggression. Say in a parking spot dispute and someone walks up to you inside your just parked car....all puffed up saying that you took his spot. Would you just say ok, and move out and far, far way into another spot right away w/o any thing else said? If you want to stay and talk about it with him, therefore, arguing....then by the above definition, you are wanting a verbal fight that may likely escalate into a fist fight.
Show me where I said I had "the only true definition". I simply pointed out that an agreed fight is not the same as self-defense. If you have a position that is counter to that, make it, support it, and we can discuss it. Otherwise, you're just throwing insults for the sake of trolling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the law is not very clear at all. Especially if factor in the how good of a lawyer(s) that one can afford.

And I just showed you an actual video of COPS allowing a street fight on public streets...so how can you be right with your absolute statement?
Just because cops don't stop something, that doesn't change the law. Sometimes cops use their judgment on what to enforce and what not to (like when they decide which speeder to pull over on a highway where almost nobody is going under the limit).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not the one having life or death fights.
The people who are claiming life or death really should have a stack of bodies to their name.
Or it really isn't.

Yes, you are. Or at least, I suspect you are.
If it were necessary to kill someone in order to be the one walking away from a fight, would you? If so, then you're in a life or death fight. Sure, at least 99% of the time you won't have to. But if you're willing to kill, then it's a life or death fight, even if you're in that happy majority of cases that provide more than just one option.
I don't have a stack of bodies (one quadriplegic, but no deaths), but if I'm in a real fight, then yes, killing is an option.
You like to act as if being willing to kill means you always do. And that's just silly. It's merely one of many possible results. And, generally speaking, the least common.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some styles of MA can be used for self-defense and can engage (by which, I assume you mean initiate the fight, when it becomes clear it is unavoidable). In fact, most can. That has nothing to do with the fact that there are many kinds of self-defense encounters, and few will have the dynamics of a shared fight, like that one. In a case like that, good self-defense is to get out when possible. There were plenty of opportunities to try that, but neither combatant appeared to give it a shot. The large crowd surrounding them, yelling, is also uncommon in a self-defense situation.

And they will be wearing different t shirts and other non essential differences.

So the differences are so far a crowd. And both participants wanted to fight?

In self defence (your cut and dried he is stealing my hand bag stuff ) I would suggest a mindset that is about forcing the other guy to not want fight. The "Not today" mindset that girl adopted when she was being raped.

The guys in that Russian gang fight. And from my own experience If you have to face down a bad guy you want to at least look like you want to be there.

In competition we call this the will game.

What is the mindset you are creating with this self defence rather than kick this guys bum difference? How does that lead to self defense success?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, you are. Or at least, I suspect you are.
If it were necessary to kill someone in order to be the one walking away from a fight, would you? If so, then you're in a life or death fight. Sure, at least 99% of the time you won't have to. But if you're willing to kill, then it's a life or death fight, even if you're in that happy majority of cases that provide more than just one option.
I don't have a stack of bodies (one quadriplegic, but no deaths), but if I'm in a real fight, then yes, killing is an option.
You like to act as if being willing to kill means you always do. And that's just silly. It's merely one of many possible results. And, generally speaking, the least common.

So you subscribe to the Ivan Drago philosophy.
images

Oh wait thats sport.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, @Paul_D, by disagreeing with this, are you asserting that when fighting to defend oneself from an attack, there are no skills there that can also be used when fighting for competition? Can't punch the same way? Can't use the same throws, locks, and pins?
I'm not asserting "no skills" no, not at all. There is a small overlap of course, after all a good punch is always a good punch. But you didn't say "small overlap" you said there was a "huge overlap".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not asserting "no skills" no, not at all. There is a small overlap of course, after all a good punch is always a good punch. But you didn't say "small overlap" you said there was a "huge overlap".
Okay, am I right that the difference in your position and mine is the difference in our definition, as usual? When I talk about that skill overlap, I'm only talking about the physical defensive combat skills, not the larger area of non-combat skills (which I usually refer to as "self-protection").

Latest Discussions