Sport vs. Street

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Movig closer to street are these organised gang fights.

Interesting some of the methods they employ.

I assume they are linked up like that so nobody runs.

I remember fighting like this in my gang days. We'd meet up in a field far behind the high school. It was wild to see teacher that we know, run out and pick up students and body slam them into the ground. I had no idea how much stronger grown, old men in a shirt & tie were, compared to us HS teenagers. But we didn't link up so no one runs....that's very smart. First I thought it was some kind of mimicking of the Roman Centurian type formation or something.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes because using a weapon would obviously change the outcome. Stabbing someone, using a brick to the head, pulling a gun all change the outcome. These competition are just that sport competition and are not what a street encounter is.
A real encounter is someone trying to kill you who has no regard for your life. Have you ever had someone tried to kill you? Have you had a gun to your head? If so, then there is no way you would think that this is real.
Ever been raped? That's real so stop thinking this pathetic competition crap is real because people who have been in life and death altercations will tell you this is Disney world compared to the horrors of kill or be killed.

Yea but you asked about using that "tire" that's tied down. What the hell would picking up a tire do, other than supplement your CrossFit workout, as one of these guys beats you down severely....because you know.... you're holding a giant, clumsy rubber object with both hands.

All of the other stuff you're talking about are just fantasy scenarios where you role play with rubber knives and rubber guns. Not everything is always life or death, like in the movies and in LARPING self defense classes. We carried guns and knives in school, it was necessary. But not every time weapons were brandished that it meant someone was going to get shot.

Last edited:
OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want bottles bricks golf club bats to the body thats real. I want broken ribs and the guy not getting up his arms broken his face beaten to a pulp. There are no rules in a street fight I have been in many as well people use knives, belt buckles, bats, bricks.
I never go and say I'm going to kill or not kill this guy I am going to stab and stab till I say it's over or he isn't moving, the other guy maybe he does the same to me. But if I think we'll maybe he won't kill me maybe he won't cheat and use a weapon that is a deadly assumption. You don't know if the other guy is planning to kill you or not but i rather be prepared that he plans on killing me call me paranoid but I have had people Try to kill me or threatened to kill me.

Is that what they teach you in LARPING? I've fought in the street plenty of times. Sometimes with weapons. Some of the times were in gang fights. But nobody died. We still had rules in full out rumbles. "Some people" had guns but they didn't bring them. Because the cops would come later and F us all up. You watch way too many movies and thinking they're real.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me tell you this story I have said it before about the thug who wanted to fight me fist to fist when I was doing my martial arts. I said see my hand, look empty but between my fingers is my knife, now you try to punch me maybe you get me, but my knife is going straight to your neck. See son you think we fight fair, you think we fight and we trade blows and one of us goes down, but see I got to get home, I have a baby that depends on me to provide food and shelter a wife that needs me, so I have to make it home and that's what I am fighting for to make it home alive, you, you just want to prove your manhood do you see the difference? Do you understand what fighting is real fighting it's about making it home no matter what.

Sounded more like you pissed off that lady really, really bad and she was not really a "thug". By your other larping scenarios, a real thug would have surprised you from the shadows of a dark alley, with 5 of his buddies....all with baseball bats, bicycle chains, cue ball in a bandana, etc. If someone really wanted to get you, it would involve a scope. Committing a crime is pretty easy...it's the getting away with it, now that's the hard part.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is reality.

That's reality for that guy and the other guy that he's fighting, but it doesn't make it any more real than other realities where nobody gets stabbed or where some coward pulled out a weapon. Believe it or not, many of us do settle things with fists only in the street, with honor.

Here's a video of at least FIFTEEN MORE realities than your ONE, all compiled neatly in 1 video.

Does this mean that these 15 realities trump or negates your 1 reality?

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The main difference between sport fighting and street fighting is that street fighting is far more unpredictable. When you go into a sport fight you have a least a vague idea of what will happen, and how your opponent will conduct themselves in the ring, whereas on the street a lot more is unknown and literally anything can happen. This can really mess with someone's mind and cause them to lose control out of fear of the unknown. And if course when that happens people are more likely to die even if the combatants don't intend to kill.

Yea, that's why I carry a 9mm and a knife with a 5.5" blade. But I can't just brandish my gun over everything and anything, ie. some dude getting mad at me over a parking space at Walmart or something. And if he starts swinging, I'm not going to pull out my gun and kill him. This is where my experience fighting in the ring comes in. I may not even have to hit him. I'd rather not, especially w/all the cameras, CCTV and witnesses.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, that's why I carry a 9mm and a knife with a 5.5" blade. But I can't just brandish my gun over everything and anything, ie. some dude getting mad at me over a parking space at Walmart or something. And if he starts swinging, I'm not going to pull out my gun and kill him. This is where my experience fighting in the ring comes in.

Experience of fighting in the ring? No application on the street fella.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's all well and good but remember that your opponent may not be as well trained and disciplined as you.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Experience of fighting in the ring? No application on the street fella.

Sorry bro, I've fought plenty in the streets including gang rumbles when I was under 18. When it comes to real application, Larping in the gym with rubber weapons and tapping contact < trying to knock someone out as common training.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's all well and good but remember that your opponent may not be as well trained and disciplined as you.

Yes, that's always a risk. Just like Cops can't just flat out shoot someone just b/c they're fearing for their lives.....you too, can't just go full out SD larping and bite someone's nose off just because they're cussing and yelling at you from close range. Sometimes you may need to take a few lumps as part of your "tactical situation assessment". This is where real fight experience (not just training) in MMA works better than anything else.

Or just turn and run. This almost all of the time, would solve just about everything. But people just lie to themselves as to why they couldn't do this.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's reality for that guy and the other guy that he's fighting, but it doesn't make it any more real than other realities where nobody gets stabbed or where some coward pulled out a weapon. Believe it or not, many of us do settle things with fists only in the street, with honor.

Here's a video of at least FIFTEEN MORE realities than your ONE, all compiled neatly in 1 video.

Does this mean that these 15 realities trump or negates your 1 reality?

I didn't watch the whole video (metered connection), but the first was a mutual fight, meaning they were angry and fighting. That's not what self-defense training is for. There are some dynamics that are the same, but not all of them, by a long shot.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. There's a lot of application on the street. There's a huge overlap between skills for competition and skills for self-defense.

Then I would respectfully have to disagree. Giving a street skilled fighter a leeson in application does not exsist. You may as well shut a wolf in a pen of sheep for entertainment.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole video (metered connection), but the first was a mutual fight, meaning they were angry and fighting. That's not what self-defense training is for. There are some dynamics that are the same, but not all of them, by a long shot.

Then self defence training needs to broaden its application. So it at least could be used to engage someone.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro, I've fought plenty in the streets including gang rumbles when I was under 18. When it comes to real application, Larping in the gym with rubber weapons and tapping contact < trying to knock someone out as common training.

Yeah me too. Just must have been different streets. I obviously misunderstood what have conveyed. Then again, a street is not necessarily the same as another.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well lucky you that you haven't had to stab someone yet, I have which is why I asked have you had someone actually try to kill you as in his intent is to kill you?

A real fight is a fight that anything can go and the chances of being killed are there. It is foolish to think your opponent in the street has any concern for your wellbeing, let me put it this way for you if we were to engage in a fight on the street you would most likely try to use MMA against me and I would most likely take a bat to your knee cap do you see the difference?

I know a guy who is shot as well hell I have had guns to my head I don't have any friends why because they are all dead or in jail. What you don't seem to understand is it has nothing to do with fighting better or technique it has to do with real violence is and what a cage fight is. Do you not understand IT IS A SPORT! stop trying to compare a sport to things involving life or death altercations.

So telling me that a sport with rules and a ref is real is BS. Facing the Super deadly makes you aware that cage fighting is a controlled setting and is not reality.

You haven't had to stab somone yet either. You chose to knife a guy in a fist fight.

So far the difference between a real fight and a not real fight is your inability to to understand how much force is needed to control a situation.

Your friends are dead or in jail because this idea of going full retard in every fight raises the risk of them being dead or in jail. Mabye if your first response isn't to try to kill everybody you would have an easier time of it.

Sorry but MMA is actually real. Real punches and kicks,real people
,real damage. It is reality.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I am not. Actuall experience tells me otherwise, not some YouTube vid.

Ok. how many fights have you had to how many deaths?

I mean for me if i killed everyone i fought it would move into genocide.

Latest Discussions