Sport vs. Street

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they will be wearing different t shirts and other non essential differences.

So the differences are so far a crowd. And both participants wanted to fight?

In self defence (your cut and dried he is stealing my hand bag stuff ) I would suggest a mindset that is about forcing the other guy to not want fight. The "Not today" mindset that girl adopted when she was being raped.

The guys in that Russian gang fight. And from my own experience If you have to face down a bad guy you want to at least look like you want to be there.

In competition we call this the will game.

What is the mindset you are creating with this self defence rather than kick this guys bum difference? How does that lead to self defense success?
I don't disagree with that concept. The environment and circumstances are still different, as is the mindset of the partcipant/defender which was my point.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you subscribe to the Ivan Drago philosophy.

No. But I'm not at all shocked to see you dismiss the psychological difficulty of killing someone, or inflicting permanent injury on them, in such an obnoxious way.
I'm willing to kill. Because if I don't , I'll be dead, and killing them is better than dying.
That doesn't mean (as I made perfectly clear to anyone not being intentionally obtuse) that I'm not doing my best to find an option short of killing or crippling them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that concept. The environment and circumstances are still different, as is the mindset of the partcipant/defender which was my point.

Well each person has a different mindset depending on the fight. So Which defender do are you talking about?

what do you think this persons mind set was?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. But I'm not at all shocked to see you dismiss the psychological difficulty of killing someone, or inflicting permanent injury on them, in such an obnoxious way.
I'm willing to kill. Because if I don't , I'll be dead, and killing them is better than dying.
That doesn't mean (as I made perfectly clear to anyone not being intentionally obtuse) that I'm not doing my best to find an option short of killing or crippling them.

Obtuse would be saying life or death in a circumstance that very rarely results in life or death.

You get told it in reality class. And believe it. But if you think about what you actually see it is not there. Yes you can be killed or crippled but statistically you probably wont.

And now even your mind set is not kill or be killed. Which is not a suprise that is most peoples mind sets. Even most bad people.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well each person has a different mindset depending on the fight. So Which defender do are you talking about?

what do you think this persons mind set was?
Fear, then anger. Amygdala response. Most people will start from fear (of some level) in a defense situation. Some (not all, apparently) move to anger once they start taking action. What's your point?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fear, then anger. Amygdala response. Most people will start from fear (of some level) in a defense situation. Some (not all, apparently) move to anger once they start taking action. What's your point?

Well was it self defence or no? His mind set should technically be wrong as he was not looking for an escape.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it isn't. There was no escape, and he knows that in advance. You presented a situation you knew danged well fit that description. So, no inconsistency, at all.

That is because there are situations that danged well fit the description. Self defence is not the formulated script that you are suggesting it to be.

Self defence is a manufactured concept to begin with. And then you are manufacturing it again to support your arguments.

Unfortunately conflict does not fall as neatly into sport fight,self defence,agreed fight as you would like to have people believe.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not the one having life or death fights.

The people who are claiming life or death really should have a stack of bodies to their name.

Or it really isn't.

Agreed. Well they do. Thankfully most of them are doing lots of time due to that stack of bodies.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is because there are situations that danged well fit the description. Self defence is not the formulated script that you are suggesting it to be.

Self defence is a manufactured concept to begin with. And then you are manufacturing it again to support your arguments.

Unfortunately conflict does not fall as neatly into sport fight,self defence,agreed fight as you would like to have people believe.

I actually agree with this. Self defence has nothing to do with martial skills. For example, a TKD kick! Just gonna get your knee fucked

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I agree. Being in the mix tells many things things.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where did I ever say self-defense was a script. I've said quite the opposite a number of times. I'm not sure what you mean by "manufactured concept". Self-defense is, indeed, a concept - most things people discuss are such. It's fairly easy to agree upon a working definition if one is not being argumentative. That situation was clearly self-defense, though we'd have to question whether it transitioned to something else near the end. There's definitely some grey area where it's hard to draw the line - that's true of all concepts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually agree with this. Self defence has nothing to do with martial skills. For example, a TKD kick! Just gonna get your knee fucked
What of the videos we can find of people delivering TKD kicks to defend themselves? It wouldn't be my first choice, but it can be effective in the right situation.