Sport vs. Street

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then again, a street is not necessarily the same as another.

You're the one who actually implied that they were as you made no distinction between your street(s) and the streets of others.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole video (metered connection), but the first was a mutual fight, meaning they were angry and fighting. That's not what self-defense training is for. There are some dynamics that are the same, but not all of them, by a long shot.

Are you the Final Authority on what is, Self Defense? And by your own admission, you didn't even watch the full video. Next.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my experience there is a difference between street fighting and fighting in the street.. I work with communities in which street fighting is a thing almost ritualised.. men who engage this are highly adept at what they do and highly clear on their intent. Every thing else is fighting in the street and happen in disorganised way rare -in my experience- to encounter any one with more than a modicum of fight savvy..

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you the Final Authority on what is, Self Defense? And by your own admission, you didn't even watch the full video. Next.

Reading this, I'm curious about your definition of self-defence compared to street fighting. To me, in self-defence the main aim is to escape the situation without anyone getting hurt. That is the ideal solution. On the contrary, in a street fight the participants are usually aiming to beat their opponent, forcing them to submit defeat.

So even though street fighting and self-defence might employ similar techniques, the intent of those techniques is completely different. That's what Seymour meant in his post.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then I would respectfully have to disagree. Giving a street skilled fighter a leeson in application does not exsist. You may as well shut a wolf in a pen of sheep for entertainment.

Sounds like you never fought in the ring nor spar at full power vs. experienced sports fighters.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my experience there is a difference between street fighting and fighting in the street.. I work with communities in which street fighting is a thing almost ritualised.. men who engage this are highly adept at what they do and highly clear on their intent. Every thing else is fighting in the street and happen in disorganised way rare -in my experience- to encounter any one with more than a modicum of fight savvy..

Understanding what sort of fight you are in is important as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading this, I'm curious about your definition of self-defence compared to street fighting. To me, in self-defence the main aim is to escape the situation without anyone getting hurt. That is the ideal solution. On the contrary, in a street fight the participants are usually aiming to beat their opponent, forcing them to submit defeat.

So even though street fighting and self-defence might employ similar techniques, the intent of those techniques is completely different. That's what Seymour meant in his post.

It depends you may really want to or need to beat a guy in a self defence situation but not a beat a guy in a street fight.

Prople are complicated.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you the Final Authority on what is, Self Defense? .
The law is usually quite clear on these matters.

Agreeing to fight someone in the street, either for money (as a friend of mine does) or because you have had an arguement in a bar is illegal.

Self defence (self protection from non consensual criminal violence) is not illegal.

So quick rule of thumb, if what you are doing is illegal, it's not self defence.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Agreeing to fight someone in the street, either for money (as a friend of mine does) or because you have had an arguement in a bar is illegal.

Self defence (self protection from non consensual criminal violence) is not illegal.

So quick rule of thumb, if what you are doing is illegal, it's not self defence.
Actually a little backwards. Isn't it? Legally, self defense only comes into play when you've done something that is illegal, and are arguing that you had no choice. "I killed that guy (which is murder), but if I hadn't, I believe he would have killed me (self defense)."

So, can we say that, as a quick rule of thumb, If what you're doing is legal, it's not self defense? Seems closer to the mark. But even that seems simplistic.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You know what you're talking about.

Like this one older Black guy who's also a former Pro Boxer (nothing notable)... and he also lived in a rough area all of his life said to me: "most of us grew up learning how to Box in the street; as it was necessary for daily life/survival".

Punching someone in the face, really, really, really hard in trying to knock them the F out; works just the same in the street as it does in the ring. And both ring and street fights, usually starts with 'dem handz.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually a little backwards. Isn't it? Legally, self defense only comes into play when you've done something that is illegal.
No, defending yourself is legal, not illegal.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

While I don't necessarily disagree completely with what you said, his error was that he made it as a matter of fact that he has the only true definition to what SD is.

And the reality is, many people lie to themselves. If they really believe that running away is the best option, then all they'd have to do is turn and run the moment that there's a slight sign of aggression. Say in a parking spot dispute and someone walks up to you inside your just parked car....all puffed up saying that you took his spot. Would you just say ok, and move out and far, far way into another spot right away w/o any thing else said? If you want to stay and talk about it with him, therefore, arguing....then by the above definition, you are wanting a verbal fight that may likely escalate into a fist fight.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I didn't say anything about agreeing to fight in the street or for money.

Although it seems to also depends on where you live. Here, it looks like the cops are even sanctioning this street fight in Washington State.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're the one who actually implied that they were as you made no distinction between your street(s) and the streets of others.

Yeah I get it. For someone who talks quite a lot, perhaps you could slow down a bit. Street is the street obviously. Don't quite get what you're beef here?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about agreeing to fight in the street or for money.

Although it seems to also depends on where you live. Here, it looks like the cops are even sanctioning this street fight in Washington State.

I never said you did, I am just trying to point out tha the law makes it clear what is self defence and what is not.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I get it. For someone who talks quite a lot, perhaps you could slow down a bit. Street is the street obviously. Don't quite get what you're beef here?

No it was you who brought this up though.

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never said you did, I am just trying to point out tha the law makes it clear what is self defence and what is not.

No, the law is not very clear at all. Especially if factor in the how good of a lawyer(s) that one can afford.

And I just showed you an actual video of COPS allowing a street fight on public streets...so how can you be right with your absolute statement?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the law is not very clear at all. Especially if factor in the how good of a lawyer(s) that one can afford.

And I just showed you an actual video of COPS allowing a street fight on public streets...so how can you be right with your absolute statement?

Because you clearly don't understand.

Latest Discussions