Sport vs. Street

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically anything prevents them from being grounded standing and able to to throw dangerous shots at you will be to your advantage.

You may only get half a trip that results in a bit of a stumble. But that can give you a couple of unopposed strikes.

Which can turn the tide of a fight in you favor.
Agreed. My preference is to plant them. If that doesn't work, anything that upsets their structure and/or balance will do until I can plant them (or until they remove the need to be planted).

OP
FriedRice

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not true, Just because a group of people decide to stand in one group doesn't mean that their opponents will stand in one group. This is also why ancient military tactics also included formations that help to deal with the enemy attacking the flanks.

we see similar strategy in north American football. For example, If I'm in a 5 vs 5 fight and I see that my opponent wants to attack in a ground then I'm going to have someone attack the flank. While 4 of my guys occupy 5 of their guys then I'll use my 5th man to attack. If you want to know how all of this stuff works then you have to look at some ancient military tactics.

Here an example of what I'm talking about. You'll see both the flank and isolation. 3 take the flank. 2 go out to look vulnerable. As the 3 rush one breaks from the group isolation. But once again. The group has to fight as a unit. It's not enough to be a group. There has to be coordination and communication. Even though one team split into a group of 3 and a group of 2. There was coordination and an understanding of a plan of how to deal with the other 5 and it wasn't going 1 vs 1.

That video just looked like they broke apart and someone got overpowered & lost in their 1-1 fight, which now makes the fight a 5-4, and that team loses eventually due to the weak link.

I'm not saying that your tactics can't work, just that it usually filters into a 1-1 at the beginning.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video just looked like they broke apart and someone got overpowered & lost in their 1-1 fight, which now makes the fight a 5-4, and that team loses eventually due to the weak link.

I'm not saying that your tactics can't work, just that it usually filters into a 1-1 at the beginning.
Yeah, I'd think double-teaming someone would be most effective if you have a person who has good skill at holding off two opponents for a few seconds, to free another person up. Otherwise, it's hard to assume you'd always be on the winning side of that split (since your double-team means they have one, too).

Latest Discussions