Some ideas for defending against dogs

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, we have a lot of stray dogs in Russia, they are not particularly well controlled. Most of the times that is not a problem, but certain times, especially in mating season they can get agressive and dangerous for children for instance. Now some areas are more dog populated (industial areas where people even feed them). I remember having to walk through one of those to get to work years ago. I felt a lot of hostility from a gang of dogs... I tool a good old sling shot and after hitting couple of times the gand the dogs would avoid me instead of me avoiding them, which (avoiding) actually a good idea )))

The thing there though is that you know this and are prepared but we don't often have dogs wandering around here, we have dog wardens to round them up so any dog attack comes out of the blue and people are obviously unprepared for it.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are different degrees of being prepared for any attack (including dog attack) I believe. Ranging from being totally unaware and taken off guard to being generally aware of the possibility and having something (cane, heavy boots, knife, pepper spray, hand gun) to meet that possible attack. In latter case one's chances are infinately better )))

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different degrees of being prepared for any attack (including dog attack) I believe. Ranging from being totally unaware and taken off guard to being generally aware of the possibility and having something (cane, heavy boots, knife, pepper spray, hand gun) to meet that possible attack. In latter case one's chances are infinately better )))

It's not practical for everyday wear though in case of a dog attack which is highly likely not to happen. Dog attacks are rare though when they do happen a big fuss is made about 'dangerous' dogs leading people to think they are more common than they are. Just about every dog attack here has been that of a 'family pet' attacking usually a child, often there are reasons for this, unsuitable breed, lack of training etc. Most dog bites are on owners or those whose dogs have been attacked by another dog, ignorant and careless owners are nearly always the cause of this. It's rare to see a dog out on it's own here, all dogs have to be microchipped by law and each local council has a dog warden responsible for picking up strays so stray dogs are not a problem.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Then, what is the problem? One cannot prepare for everything (especially things one would not generally) expect to happen. We can speak only about some general principles like do not show fear, do not panic, go for the vulnerable spots like nose, eyes, go for your life using whatever you can grab to kill the bastard less it kills you. That's as good an advice as it gets )))

My experience with dogs: whenever I had something with me (knife, kubaton, whip) dogs would feel it and would avoid me even without me showing them my weapon. They would know I was armed and stayed away from me.

For instance if you know there are dogs in a certain area and they are likely to be agressive you can take with you some weapon and just by having it (and being prepared to use it) you will make yourself a less likely target for dogs. Or should you have to defend yourself your chances will be much better!

Like this baton - cane I just received - i think it's just perfect for a task like this:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loocks like a cane to me! Are canes illegal? No. You can unfold it it advance before coming into "dog" terrain, and then fold id back and put it in a bag or backpack.
Great idea i think.

As for defence against dogs... I believe it is helpful to view a dog as... mean shorty human. It's being shorty is dog's huge disadvantage. Use it!
It looks like a cane about the same way an ASP baton looks like something for propping up the hatchback on your car. It's not a cane, and unless you walk around using it as one, it will likely not be seen as one. As with any weapon, it's not what you could claim it is, but what the law sees it as that matters when we're considering what's legal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agains those I would use a hand gun... Then it does not matter how much this thing weight )))
Assuming you see them coming far away enough to draw. Guns are a great universal solution only if it's in your hand and pointed at the threat while the threat is too far away to attack.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, we have a lot of stray dogs in Russia, they are not particularly well controlled. Most of the times that is not a problem, but certain times, especially in mating season they can get agressive and dangerous for children for instance. Now some areas are more dog populated (industial areas where people even feed them). I remember having to walk through one of those to get to work years ago. I felt a lot of hostility from a gang of dogs... I tool a good old sling shot and after hitting couple of times the gand the dogs would avoid me instead of me avoiding them, which (avoiding) actually a good idea )))
That's not the same thing as dealing with an attack. An attacking dog is fast, violent, and relentless. You were dealing with dogs who were mostly posturing to defend their territory - standard pack behavior.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Assuming you see them coming far away enough to draw. Guns are a great universal solution only if it's in your hand and pointed at the threat while the threat is too far away to attack.

Why would a dog attack someone all of a sudden? What kind of dogs are we talking about anyway?

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Carrying handguns around is not an option in Russia. Knives are allowed. So my choice of universal tool against dog attack would be a good old bowie knife of a combat knife with handguard. Yes the dog can still bite you and cause injuries... but meanwhile you can almost cut it into chunks, rip it open, stab it, and make it bleed to death. You being bigger and just makes your chances better. Provided you know how to use the knife of course and have the balls to take on a dog. With a bit of luck you'll get the upper hand!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would a dog attack someone all of a sudden? What kind of dogs are we talking about anyway?
I have, in fact, seen dogs charge from a short distance away (short enough that it only took a second or two to cover it) to attack people and dogs without stopping to posture. These were not trained "attack dogs" - merely vicious dogs. That's the kind of dogs I'd expect to defend against. The trained attack dogs Tez refers to are unlikely to attack me unless I make some very different new life choices.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have, in fact, seen dogs charge from a short distance away (short enough that it only took a second or two to cover it) to attack people and dogs without stopping to posture. These were not trained "attack dogs" - merely vicious dogs. That's the kind of dogs I'd expect to defend against. The trained attack dogs Tez refers to are unlikely to attack me unless I make some very different new life choices.

Would you agree to this statement: normally dogs would not attack anyone but just the people or other dogs whom they see as easy target?

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Would you agree to this statement: normally dogs would not attack anyone but just the people or other dogs whom they see as easy target?

Are there dogs that would attaclk you even if you are armed with handgun in one hand and machete in the other? Yes, there are crazy dogs just as there are crazy humans ))) You cannot understand their logic. But normally dogs would not attack 1) for no reason, 2) someone they perceive as "dangerous" - meaning if you have something you can confidently use to defend yourself (doent matter what it is) dog woul sense it and would not attack you unless it has a very compelling reason for doing so

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dogs can and will attack anyone if they have a reason to, it's not necessarily just those they see as an easy target. They don't think as we do. Military and police dogs will attack without the command if they think their handler is under threat or being attacked, dogs do defending really well. Dogs do not think someone with a weapon is dangerous, they don't see you with a gun etc in your hand as a threat because they simply don't think to themselves 'oh he's got a gun I'll not attack', they see you as prey if they want to. You are projecting onto them human thoughts and emotions. Don't forget some breeds are bred for fighting and aggression, they have little fear of anyone or thing.

Russian Whips

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dogs can and will attack anyone if they have a reason to, it's not necessarily just those they see as an easy target. They don't think as we do. Military and police dogs will attack without the command if they think their handler is under threat or being attacked, dogs do defending really well. Dogs do not think someone with a weapon is dangerous, they don't see you with a gun etc in your hand as a threat because they simply don't think to themselves 'oh he's got a gun I'll not attack', they see you as prey if they want to. You are projecting onto them human thoughts and emotions. Don't forget some breeds are bred for fighting and aggression, they have little fear of anyone or thing.

Maybe I just have different experience... however like I told you... I noticed that same dogs can behave deferently towards diferent people or even same people depending if they are armed or not. Maybe being armed gives you an air of confidence dogs can sense. Now, the beeds you are referring to are clearly crazy, their mind and senses are just twisted by selection that they are numb to fea and pain and those IMHO should be banned from being in public altogether. If I had to be in the area where I knew those kind of dogs were on the lose I would have a shotgun ready to fire ))) Or at least twist-lock my cane-belt in ready to battle position and get my folder ready for the other hand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. They will attack what they see as either prey (easy target) or a threat they either think they can beat or they don't think they can escape. Dog don't always know what weapons are unless they've had them used on them, but they can assess risks, including the perceived power of their opponent (which is influenced by prey behavior and countered by confidence in some cases).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there dogs that would attaclk you even if you are armed with handgun in one hand and machete in the other? Yes, there are crazy dogs just as there are crazy humans ))) You cannot understand their logic. But normally dogs would not attack 1) for no reason, 2) someone they perceive as "dangerous" - meaning if you have something you can confidently use to defend yourself (doent matter what it is) dog woul sense it and would not attack you unless it has a very compelling reason for doing so
Most dogs won't know what a handgun is, at all. Few will recognize a machete as more than a stick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just have different experience... however like I told you... I noticed that same dogs can behave deferently towards diferent people or even same people depending if they are armed or not. Maybe being armed gives you an air of confidence dogs can sense. Now, the beeds you are referring to are clearly crazy, their mind and senses are just twisted by selection that they are numb to fea and pain and those IMHO should be banned from being in public altogether. If I had to be in the area where I knew those kind of dogs were on the lose I would have a shotgun ready to fire ))) Or at least twist-lock my cane-belt in ready to battle position and get my folder ready for the other hand.
Likely the difference is your behavior. When you are not armed, you may feel more intimidated by them (as you rightly should). Dogs can smell hormones, including those we secrete when we experience fear. Many (especially those living "wild") also are keenly attuned to prey behavior, which is more likely when you are not armed in a way that you perceive as sufficient. If I gave you a wallet-sized device would prevent any and all dogs from being able to attack you (and you believed me), it would be as useful a deterrent as that gun, since it would change your behavior.

This is the same reason most martial artists never have to use their training. Confident behavior is not prey behavior.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The dogs aren't crazy they have been bred for aggression/guarding in the same way sheepdogs have been bred to work, their minds aren't twisted nor are their senses, quite the opposite, they are goal orientated and intelligent, confidence in others, man or dog won't worry them. Pit bulls and a few others (Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK) are banned in the UK and will be put down if found.
Most of the problem with dogs is the owners, who cannot or will not train their dogs properly and often encourage aggression Too often it's a macho thing to have an aggressive dog.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dogs aren't crazy they have been bred for aggression/guarding in the same way sheepdogs have been bred to work, their minds aren't twisted nor are their senses, quite the opposite, they are goal orientated and intelligent, confidence in others, man or dog won't worry them. Pit bulls and a few others (Controlling your dog in public - GOV.UK) are banned in the UK and will be put down if found.
Most of the problem with dogs is the owners, who cannot or will not train their dogs properly and often encourage aggression Too often it's a macho thing to have an aggressive dog.
The prejudice against pitbulls is not sensible, in my experience. They are gentle, playful dogs who like everybody. Unless they are mistreated or trained to attack, then they have the capability to do great damage, but that's not a problem with the breed - it's back to your comment about owners.

Latest Discussions