Some ideas for defending against dogs

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Isaiah90, Tez3, jks9199, myself and more all have work related experience with police dogs. So credibility is there. I actually have several friends that are K9 handlers as well and have had long conversations on this.

Dealing with a large size dog is problematic
. They have teeth and a strong bite. However, what makes dealing with a dog so dangerous is that we are just plain slow compared to them. In other words they are really fast! This is incredibly obvious when I play with my husky/sharpie mix. When just goofing around if he does not want me to touch him I simply can't touch him. If he wanted to strike my arm or groin, neck, etc. I think his chances are really, really good and for a human I am pretty fast. Why I have going for me is size and the ability to trick him. Still, if I take him or a similar dog on empty handed I am going to more than likely get bit really bad. So, with that in mind have an equalizer. Some kind of tool to even the odds like a stick, knife, gun. Then you can improve your chances! ;)

And what if you don't have a weapon at your side?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've worn bite sleeves many times, and a full bite suit twice. Kind of scary.

"The Yearling" was a 1946 film based on the Puiltzer Prize winning novel of Marjorie K Rawlings. Set in the backwoods of the 1870's.

When the film was made, it was long before the humane society oversaw the safety of animals in film. There's a scene where Gregory Peck's character, along with his boy and a couple dogs, go hunting a bear that's been getting at the livestock. So, the film makers got some dogs and went looking for a bear, which they found. One of the dogs was a Pit Bull name of Rip. They used the same name in the film. Old Rip got his tail handed to him by the bear. As the story goes, from old Pit Dog Men I used to know back in the day, Rip broke several ribs and needed a lot of stitches to put him back together. But he just didn't care.

Here's the scene from the film. I don't ever want to fight a dog. But, if I do, I sure don't want to fight a determined dog like ol' Rip.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've worn bite sleeves many times, and a full bite suit twice. Kind of scary.

"The Yearling" was a 1946 film based on the Puiltzer Prize winning novel of Marjorie K Rawlings. Set in the backwoods of the 1870's.

When the film was made, it was long before the humane society oversaw the safety of animals in film. There's a scene where Gregory Peck's character, along with his boy and a couple dogs, go hunting a bear that's been getting at the livestock. So, the film makers got some dogs and went looking for a bear, which they found. One of the dogs was a Pit Bull name of Rip. They used the same name in the film. Old Rip got his tail handed to him by the bear. As the story goes, from old Pit Dog Men I used to know back in the day, Rip broke several ribs and needed a lot of stitches to put him back together. But he just didn't care.

Here's the scene from the film. I don't ever want to fight a dog. But, if I do, I sure don't want to fight a determined dog like ol' Rip.

Believe me, i don't want to fight a dog either but i'm not just going to let myself get bitten or mauled around and hope that the dog stops attacking me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me, i don't want to fight a dog either but i'm not just going to let myself get bitten or mauled around and hope that the dog stops attacking me.

How likely are you to be bitten by a dog? Do you have a lot of strays where you live or neighbours with uncontrolled dogs? Do you have a job where you come in contact with dogs?
Like most 'dangers' you have to weigh up the probabilities and the likelihood of you being attacked by dogs.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah90, Tez3, jks9199, myself and more all have work related experience with police dogs. So credibility is there. I actually have several friends that are K9 handlers as well and have had long conversations on this.
Not only do I have experience with working dogs... In my department, patrol often has to handle animal complaints. So I've got a fair bit of experience catching and dealing with aggressive and hostile dogs. And other critters, too...

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not only do I have experience with working dogs... In my department, patrol often has to handle animal complaints. So I've got a fair bit of experience catching and dealing with aggressive and hostile dogs. And other critters, too...

That's because you have the proper tools and organization to deal with containing animals. That doesn't explain how the average person can defend him or herself against an attacking dog.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rampaging hamsters are a real bugger to catch...... :D
Was actually chased by a rabid woodchuck, once...

And we're about due for another bear. Though I think they're all looking for the guy building the giant boat. Lots of snakes, raccoons, possums... Lots of critters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to carry a weapon to be prepared and concerned about your personal protection.

Yet, if you do not have tools available for some situations you will be woefully unprepared and that shows a lack of concern for your personal protection skills sets!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok so what do you suggest is the best solution to dealing with a dog attack then?

Climb a tree avoiding the terrified cats already there? Lay down, roll over and expose your belly and throat and hope?

I'm sorry, you have no idea how a dog can attack. They are fast and have strong bites. Headlock on a dog? Pull its tongue out? What do you expect the dog is going to be doing, give you instruction on who to improve your technique, start tapping out? Most dogs have very strong necks as well as strong bites. Their head/neck are structured differently from ours. They can struggle with great strength and agility. One lingering bite or a flurry of bites is not going to make you happy. Kick them in the face? Which leg do you want to lose the use of during your struggle? You will go down, can you protect your groin or throat while down? Attack dogs don't really know fear, only attack. You cannot outrun a dog, you must freeze or fight. Expect to get hurt either way.

I'm no expert, nor have a lot of training, but in Vietnam, Thor didn't care what you looked like or how big your were. If he thought you were a threat to me, he would attack until you froze. He wouldn't let go until I gave him the command. Otherwise he was sweet, lovable, and craved affection. Clipper would not approach anyone but a recognized handler. He had some 4 or 5 personal enemy kills in the field. Toby mauled his airforce handler so bad they discharged him from the Air Force. Toby was given to an Army Trainee who handled him but had the scars to prove Toby's hair-trigger disposition. Every dog has its own personality, but if they attack, they are very likely to hurt you unless you have a weapon, and maybe even then.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have credibility and expertise then please enlighten me. I'm willing to admit i'm wrong if i can find a better solution.

How many of those techniques have you tried on an attack trained dog, or just a mean dog? Maybe we can learn from you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's see if this works.

Ok. Mate of mine trains them. I have worked with dog handlers. Seen them bite people.

They are not your normal dog they are mike Tyson with bigger teeth. So A lot of ideas that work with a normal dog just won't fly with one that is specifically trained to fight you.

Otherwise try to get hold of the collar and avoid the mouth parts.

Last edited:
OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Climb a tree avoiding the terrified cats already there? Lay down, roll over and expose your belly and throat and hope?

I'm sorry, you have no idea how a dog can attack. They are fast and have strong bites. Headlock on a dog? Pull its tongue out? What do you expect the dog is going to be doing, give you instruction on who to improve your technique, start tapping out? Most dogs have very strong necks as well as strong bites. Their head/neck are structured differently from ours. They can struggle with great strength and agility. One lingering bite or a flurry of bites is not going to make you happy. Kick them in the face? Which leg do you want to lose the use of during your struggle? You will go down, can you protect your groin or throat while down? Attack dogs don't really know fear, only attack. You cannot outrun a dog, you must freeze or fight. Expect to get hurt either way.

I'm no expert, nor have a lot of training, but in Vietnam, Thor didn't care what you looked like or how big your were. If he thought you were a threat to me, he would attack until you froze. He wouldn't let go until I gave him the command. Otherwise he was sweet, lovable, and craved affection. Clipper would not approach anyone but a recognized handler. He had some 4 or 5 personal enemy kills in the field. Toby mauled his airforce handler so bad they discharged him from the Air Force. Toby was given to an Army Trainee who handled him but had the scars to prove Toby's hair-trigger disposition. Every dog has its own personality, but if they attack, they are very likely to hurt you unless you have a weapon, and maybe even then.

Put pressure on your dog's windpipe with the bony part of your forearm with your body weight forcing the dog on the ground. Put your knee on the dog's side with your body weight pushing down and control the neck with your hand to see if the dog can get out of the hold. Film it so you can prove me wrong.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Put pressure on your dog's windpipe with the bony part of your forearm with your body weight forcing the dog on the ground. Put your knee on the dog's side with your body weight pushing down and control the neck with your hand to see if the dog can get out of the hold. Film it so you can prove me wrong.

You haven't answered my question yet: Are you trying to deflect the conversation so you don't have to do so?

How many of those techniques have you tried on an attack trained dog, or just a mean dog? Maybe we can learn from you.

Perhaps you could make a video and show us. Remember though, no padded suits or handlers to call off the dog.

Fact is several of the MT members do have some experience with dogs. If you have any, you haven't mentioned it. Have you? You were the one who raised the question, and you have received answers from some people who do have experience. You have not said if you have ever used that as a defense, nor even trained using any of the techniques you mentioned. Can you enlighten us?

BTW, what is your art and your ranking. That might help us understand why you believe the techniques you mention will work.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW, I have thought on this some in the past. Knowing how dogs attack, the only thing I have ever been able to come up with is if the dog leaps at you, put a hand up for the dog to concentrate on. As the dog focuses on that, step to the side as you move the hand out of the way (if you can) and strike at whatever presents itself; head, ribs, shoulder, hip, sternum, whatever. Repeat as often as necessary and as it works. You must be very fast and willing to continue under pain if the dog isn't fooled and grabs the arm you so graciously provided him.

It is not a high probability thing. But I haven't come up with anything better.

I would not try to stick my hand in an attacking dogs mouth to try and grab his tongue and get my hand back before he clamps down on my hand. The fastest human I ever personally saw was Henry Cho. I am sure he couldn't have done that. I know I can't.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's see if this works.

Ok. Mate of mine trains them. I have worked with dog handlers. Seen them bite people.

They are not your normal dog they are mike Tyson with bigger teeth. So A lot of ideas that work with a normal dog just won't fly with one that is specifically trained to fight you.

Otherwise try to get hold of the collar and avoid the mouth parts.

By the way. See the tail?

That is not an angry dog. That is a happy one.

Latest Discussions